Spyware

markydd

hi'

hmm hmm, when you install spybot S&D ... there is a warning ...

if you have adaware, spybot may find adds backups ...

and it's a reality .. run adaware, find a few stuffs ... clean, there is a backup in the program files/adaware/backup ...

then run spybot ... it's going to find some more, and the backups of adaware ...

the version 1.3 of spybot has the tea-cooker (in the systray), and control any registry change ... even when you install or uninstall something ...

valentinoxxx is right, it's a must have and once you have it, adaware is useless :D

sorry to go against the pro-adaware, but spybot is from far the best of them all :o

and about firewalls ... only 2 retain my attention ... the most famous of them all, and the reputation is equal to the preformances, ZoneAlarm ... in version 5x for the user of Xp SP2

the other one is Norton Firewall ... those are the only leakless on the market !

for ZoneAlarm prefer the pro version.

I use ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 and I registered it ... yes I did :D

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

• 2 months later...
"Steve Gibson posted this link to a superb test of about two dozen top Anti-Spyware programs: Eric L. Howes conducted the test over a two-week period in October. The results surprised me: only 3 ASW programs had a 'batting average' of better than .500 when it came to eradicating the broad range of spyware in the test. Freeware star Spybot Search & Destroy came in a distant 7th with an average of only .376. The top three? Giant Anti-Spyware, Spy Sweeper, and Ad-Aware. These test results are well worth your time."
thx slashdot.org

:o

IMHO, the best in this category is Webroot's SpySweeper. At $29.95 (MSRP) its a bargain. Current version checks for over 38,000 different malware. Bear in mind, there is not one antivirus, trojan detector, or spyware utility that "does it all". My personal feeling is one needs specialized software in each category, with the most important being the firewall.

If your on broadband, with a fixed ID, currently your best protection is a router with "firmware" firewall. If your on wireless, a "Wireless Firewall Router" is essential. If on "dial-up" then a software firewall such as Zone Alarm is you next best option (aside from never using the internet). Most dial-ups will show a different "address" each time you connect, thereby affording some protection against a hacker(s) who attempts to target you specifically. Those lucky enough to have broadband, are most vunerable, and a firewall of some type is mandatory.

Most virus's, trojans, adware, etc. are "actionably" acquired. By that I mean, one downloads an infected program, opens an infected email attachment or initiates some other action which allows the infection to install itself on your computer(s).

Currently, I utilize the following: (most are inactive and used for periodic system scanning, except for the firewall)

ZoneLabs "ZoneAlarm Pro"

Symantec's "Norton AntiVirus Pro"

Moosoft's "The Cleaner"

Webroot's "SpySweeper"

Lavasoft's "Ad-Aware SE Pro"

Spybot - Search & Destroy

eTrust's "Pest Patrol"

Remember the old saying, "Prevention is worth a pound of cure".

• 2 weeks later...
"In the December, 2004 issue of PC World, the author of an article titled Poor Defenders concludes that most commercial anti-spyware software is ineffective. In tests using a fresh install of XP and 6 typical spyware infections the commercial software failed to stack up against freeware competitor Spybot Search and Destroy. Four out of seven commercial products failed to remove any of the infections. One product even installed 57 spyware files itself! Conclusion: Use freeware products like Spybot and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Personal."

thx to slashdot.org

"In the December, 2004 issue of PC World, the author of an article titled Poor Defenders concludes that most commercial anti-spyware software is ineffective. In tests using a fresh install of XP and 6 typical spyware infections the commercial software failed to stack up against freeware competitor Spybot Search and Destroy. Four out of seven commercial products failed to remove any of the infections. One product even installed 57 spyware files itself! Conclusion: Use freeware products like Spybot and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Personal."

thx to slashdot.org

The PC World article talks about comparing MyNetProtector, NoAdware, PAL Spyware Remover, SpyAssault, SpyBlocs, Spyware Stormer, and XoftSpy.

Has anyone heard of those "antispy" programs they reportedly tested? Not me.

Interesting that the article (here) makes no mention of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware or Webroot's SpySweeper.

:o

I run both Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, and Zone Alarm Pro. I've had no spyware get in since.

I still get about a dozen netbios probs a day though :o

Good advice Francois

cv

hi'

hmm hmm, when you install spybot S&D ... there is a warning ...

if you have adaware, spybot may find adds backups ...

and it's a reality .. run adaware, find a few stuffs ... clean, there is a backup in the program files/adaware/backup ...

then run spybot ... it's going to find some more, and the backups of adaware ...

the version 1.3 of spybot has the tea-cooker (in the systray), and control any registry change ... even when you install or uninstall something ...

valentinoxxx is right, it's a must have and once you have it, adaware is useless :D

sorry to go against the pro-adaware, but spybot is from far the best of them all :D

and about firewalls ... only 2 retain my attention ... the most famous of them all, and the reputation is equal to the preformances, ZoneAlarm ... in version 5x for the user of Xp SP2

the other one is Norton Firewall ... those are the only leakless on the market !

for ZoneAlarm prefer the pro version.

I use ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 and I registered it ... yes I did :D

cheers

francois