Nationwide B/soc To Issue New Debit Cards/readers

Internet Banking News

Important security information for FlexAccount Visa debit card holders

Between March and June 2008 we’re introducing Card Reader Security for customers who have a FlexAccount Visa debit card. This gives you an extra layer of protection when you carry out certain transactions using our Internet Banking service.

If you’re affected by these changes we’ll write to you nearer the time and send you a Card Reader.

In readiness for this change, we may need to replace your existing Visa debit card, even if it’s not due for renewal. If your Visa debit card was issued before November 2007 you’ll get a new one by the end of May 2008.

There has been discussion recently on TV about wether Nationwide Building Society (UK) will or will not send plastic cards to customers living abroad.

It now appears that cards issued before Nov 2007 will(may?) have to be replaced. If customers log on and go to the 'questions and answers' about this subject, it says 'customers living abroad will be contacted and advised accordingly :o .' It seems 'card reading machines' are to be sent out to customers in a bid to help stop internet fraud. It seems this little 'calculator like thingy' will be used inplace of the present security questions. They also mention some replacement cards will not have as long a 'lifespan.'

I just thought maybe one reader may wish to know this development. :D

Chok Dee

:D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

• 2 weeks later...

I never told Nationwide that I live in Thailand, and use my UK "accommodation address".

2 weeks ago they sent a new Flex card, which they advised me had to replace the existing card within 99 days. I transferred all the money from my Flex account to their e- savings account PLUS the full amount of the small overdraft they have allowed me.

Then with the account empty, had the card sent to Thailand -ordinary unregistered post - which arrived safely 4 days later. Once here transferred money back to the Flex account.

No sign yet of the card reader, but this I understand is not necessary if I only use the Flex card for ATM withdrawals.

Edited by prakhonchai nick

Yes all very confusing. I spoke at length to HQ, Swindon Nationwide for advice on the issue of new debit cards. Apparently mine has not been issued yet, must be back of the queue.

This card reader device is required for on line purchases and if you carry out certain internet banking actions, but the lady at HQ did not have the full details!!!.

P-Nick like yourself I always kept an UK address as I was under the impression that you had to be UK resident to hold a Nationwide account. I asked them about this while I as on the telephone and as long as I pay UK income tax (which I do on my Goverment service pension) I am classified as UK resident and can have my Thailand address as my main resident address.

So will they send the new Debit card/card reader to Thailand? forgot to ask! :o