Boot Legs Dvd/cd's Soon To Be Gone!

ClitPirate

i hope they don't disappear, i love them!! movie stars and associated companies and software manufacturers charge way too much. they all make a lot of money and the whole industry is quite gluttonous. it's nice that the average person can have a nice cd/movie collection that they might not otherwise be able to afford. if you really enjoy something and want the crisp real deal, then i'll buy the original.

only the crappy ones that were released dozens of years ago

hey, that article was from July 2002!

I don't know about that...I just bought original "Kill Bill Vol. 1", "Big Fish", and "As Good as it Gets" DVD's from my local Mang Pong for the whopping price of 149 - 169 baht each.

Genuine VCD's and DVD's in Thailand only cost 120 to 200 baht. Not exactly extortionate.

Who told you they are genuine?

All the vendors I know will 'fess up, they are copies!!

If not, why do they have to hide on certain days of the week?

Mang Pong, Tsutaya, Blockbuster, and other reputable retailers sell only original discs.I'm not talking about buying from street vendors.

Besides, if it is sold in a little cellophane envelope with a photocopied piece of paper showing the title art, I think we all know those are not legit.

Mang Pong, Tsutaya, Blockbuster, and other reputable retailers sell only original discs.

Their prices for DVd's are more that 200baht!!!

Astral, I'm sitting here looking at my still unopened "Something's Gotta Give" and "Big Fish" DVD's (not VCD's, by the way), still with the Mang Pong price stickers attached. 169 baht and 149 baht, respectively. I already opened and watched Kill Bill, so the price tag is no more. But it was definitely under 200 baht, too.

These are legitimate, Thai-release DVD's. They do also have imported, US-release DVD's, which of course are much more expensive. But there are plenty of legitimate local releases of quality, recent films. If you've gotta see something that was just released in US theaters last week, you're naturally going to have buy pirate copies.