One-2-go Flight with Engine Problems in Chiang Mai

george

A budget airline returns to Chiang Mai airport after engine develops problem

CHIANG MAI: -- One-Two- Go Flight OG 8127 on Friday had to return to Chiang Mai International Airport after taking off only 10 minutes due to technical problem.

The flight full of passengers departed at 5.30pm and 10 minutes later passengers were informed there were technical problems and the plane had to return to Chiang Mai Airport to have the machine repaired for an hour.

A passenger said the plane shook heavily and air-conditioners had very loud noise while the plane was taking off.

There were both Thais and foreigners in the flight. Some waited for another flight of One To Go, which would depart the airport at 10pm, whereas others returned their tickets to divert to other airlines.

-- The Nation 2008-02-16

Do we hear when it happens and it isn't One2Go?

But so far to me there is a pattern here, and just last week and this week I explicitly avoided using O2G for our daytrips to Bangkok to get our family UK visas sorted. Doesn't look like I was wrong.

If you heard every time a plane got an incident and has to make it back to airport, or to make an unscheduled stop, you would not use any airline anymore !

And once again, we know nothing yet about the nature of this incident ! One 2 Go has been recently involved in a major crash, it is possible (suitable, I would say !) that crews are more concerned when something odd occurs. Safety concerns should always prevail. Better land and find nothing.....

Clearly, poor air quality and pollution affects airplane engines also!

Please explain.

Hi bypass jet engines perform well in all types of air. They do have a problem when they injest large objects like eagles or emus.

That was a poke at the current state of Chiang Mai's pollution levels. :o

If you check out a place like www.airliners.net you will always see stuff like BA planes overshooting airways, SAS plane landing gears breaking, etc. etc.

These only make the news in their local areas usually and should not be seen as a reason to not fly the airline, because as was posted above, we should then never fly any airline except Qantas, just like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman...but oh, wait, their engines also stopped over Suvarnabhumi just a few weeks ago :o

But so far to me there is a pattern here, and just last week and this week I explicitly avoided using O2G for our daytrips to Bangkok to get our family UK visas sorted. Doesn't look like I was wrong.

If you heard every time a plane got an incident and has to make it back to airport, or to make an unscheduled stop, you would not use any airline anymore !

I travel about 60,000 miles a year on commercial flights the majority of which are Star Alliance Airlines. In the past 25 years I have been on only 1 flight where the take-off was aborted and once airborne have never had to return to the takeoff point. I guess I am just lucky. :o

I also fly approximately 1,000 hrs each year in private aircraft and have been doing so for the past 25 years. We have had a few rough landings with collapsed undercarriage , blown tyres, etc. and a few engine failures over the years but I'm still here. I guess there are a few folks who wish I wasn't. :D

However despite all that, I have never considered taking a flight with One-2-go. Too many of these budget airlines cut too many orners when it comes to maintenance and quite often the crew come from the lower levels of the pilot barrel.

Hi bypass jet engines perform well in all types of air. They do have a problem when they injest large objects like eagles or emus.

emus? :o

Good to see someone is paying attention. These are the genetically modified type of emu that are often seen soaring with the eagles in Central Australia. There have been recent sightings over the French Polynesian Archipelagos in the Pacific Ocean as well. They could be on their way to the Americas.

emus? :o

Good to see someone is paying attention. These are the genetically modified type of emu that are often seen soaring with the eagles in Central Australia. There have been recent sightings over the French Polynesian Archipelagos in the Pacific Ocean as well. They could be on their way to the Americas.

Dem an de flappin pink elephants!

I recently read that Airline Authorities were not impressed regarding communication between Pilots and Co-pilots who were not of the same nationalities. One2Go predominantly use Indonesion Pilots, Indonesia has an appalling air saftey record if I am not mistaken. There was a recent close encounter when a One2go plane was flying at an incorrect altitude between BK and CM and it could have resulted in a head on crash with a Nok Air flight going the other way ! I don't think it was a close thing as the aircraft have radar, but if that had been broken or faulty..well.

I would never fly One2Go aagain at any price

I'll stick to Thai Air & Nok Air. They seem to be about the safest.

Always try not to think of the million stories told to me by pilot friends, when I'm in the air :o

Thai Air - ummmmmmm. Last week they had to cancel a flight at Ubon Ratchathani - to Bkk - Hydraulics problem. They then had to fly staff and parts from Bkk to Ubon to do a fix - then fly back to Bkk without passengers

- Boeing 373-400

Thai Air - ummmmmmm. Last week they had to cancel a flight at Ubon Ratchathani - to Bkk - Hydraulics problem. They then had to fly staff and parts from Bkk to Ubon to do a fix - then fly back to Bkk without passengers

- Boeing 373-400

I assume you are referring to a TG Boeing 737-400. At least the TG crew recognised the problem and acted accordingly. No attempt to take-off or continue the flight once the snag was detected.

Professional company ethics and airmanship in any book.

Although about a year ago, I flew Air Asia from CM to BKK - strange things were obviously happening on the flight (revving without gaining height esp. and it never got very high) soon landed and found we were back in CM airport. Not a word from airline staff or pilot (even though he saw us waiting to leave the aircraft when he left the cockpit for a piss) except when we got up and asked to leave the plane and not continue to wait for repairs. The stewardsesses said 'not engines but problem with navigation system'. A pilot friend of mine told me that is impossible judging from the description of events and in any case, a pilot could navigate by sight and other means from CM to BKK and wouldn't return to the airport for that reason.

I try to avoid all cheap airlines in Asia, in fact avoid flighing any airlines in asia - take the bus the CM anyway. It took a LOT of hassle to get my money back from Air Asia too, despite them promising it on paper when we got off the airplane.

For those of you who haven't flown the CNX-DMK (Don Muang) route recently, Nok air are now leasing brand new Boeing's from a British firm, and as part of the leasing agreement, the Captain, Co-Pilot and head cabin crew are all British nationals..

I've flown them numerous times of late and the service is spot-on, and you can even actually understand the in-flight announcements :o For the sake of maybe 100 Baht over AirAsia and One-2-Gump, it's worth it.

A plane had a technical problem and had to return to CNX, so? What do you expect them to do - ignore the problem and continue the flight? How many aircraft develop faults in flight that we never hear about?

I assume you are referring to a TG Boeing 737-400. At least the TG crew recognised the problem and acted accordingly. No attempt to take-off or continue the flight once the snag was detected.

Isn't that what the crew of OG 8127 did?

Personally, I will never fly Emirates again. Did you know that on my last flight with them, there was no olive for my Martini? Really, that is beyond the pale!

A plane had a technical problem and had to return to CNX, so? What do you expect them to do - ignore the problem and continue the flight? How many aircraft develop faults in flight that we never hear about?

Isn't that what the crew of OG 8127 did?

Personally, I will never fly Emirates again. Did you know that on my last flight with them, there was no olive for my Martini? Really, that is beyond the pale!

Unbelievable !! I am with you on that !!! :o

Although about a year ago, I flew Air Asia from CM to BKK - strange things were obviously happening on the flight (revving without gaining height esp. and it never got very high) soon landed and found we were back in CM airport. Not a word from airline staff or pilot (even though he saw us waiting to leave the aircraft when he left the cockpit for a piss) except when we got up and asked to leave the plane and not continue to wait for repairs. The stewardsesses said 'not engines but problem with navigation system'. A pilot friend of mine told me that is impossible judging from the description of events and in any case, a pilot could navigate by sight and other means from CM to BKK and wouldn't return to the airport for that reason.

I try to avoid all cheap airlines in Asia, in fact avoid flighing any airlines in asia - take the bus the CM anyway. It took a LOT of hassle to get my money back from Air Asia too, despite them promising it on paper when we got off the airplane.

I think your pilot friend is talking through the wrong orifice.

All these flights are IFR (Instrument Flight Rules). If they had a problem wth the navigation systems the crew did the right thing by returning. There is no way they would continue the flight VFR (Visual Flight Rules).

Edited by Blinky Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a air asia plane from BKK to CMX. The plane came to a stop on the runway. I was by the wing at the window. Four Thai guys in there teens and early 20s opened up the engine cover and started laughing amongst each other. One had a big flat head screwdriver. One had a torch and one of the other guys had a rag. I started to tell the woman next to me about it in a very jokey manor. Ooops, she was very very scared. I think she was crying. I reassured her that many a problem has been sorted with a torch and flat head screwdriver. The rag was plan B. The battery on the torch went. I think one of the guys got a lighter out his pocket. Could of been a pack of chewing gum as it was dark.

Well they couldnt fix it so we were transfered to a new plane. The woman who was sitting next to me moved seats. Cant for the life of me work out why??? :o

I travel about 60,000 miles a year on commercial flights the majority of which are Star Alliance Airlines. In the past 25 years I have been on only 1 flight where the take-off was aborted and once airborne have never had to return to the takeoff point. I guess I am just lucky. :o

I also fly approximately 1,000 hrs each year in private aircraft and have been doing so for the past 25 years. We have had a few rough landings with collapsed undercarriage , blown tyres, etc. and a few engine failures over the years but I'm still here. I guess there are a few folks who wish I wasn't. :D

However despite all that, I have never considered taking a flight with One-2-go. Too many of these budget airlines cut too many orners when it comes to maintenance and quite often the crew come from the lower levels of the pilot barrel.

What type of private aircraft Blinky? In Oz or here in Thai?

Uh, National Security considerations prevent Blinky from answering that question....but I can!

Picture of Blinky's "private aircraft":

post-23786-1205420054_thumb.jpg

Just kidding....he's in a Cessna 152..... :o

And he's neither here, nor there. He's everywhere. :D

Uh, National Security considerations prevent Blinky from answering that question....but I can!

Picture of Blinky's "private aircraft":

post-23786-1205420054_thumb.jpg

Just kidding....he's in a Cessna 152..... :o

And he's neither here, nor there. He's everywhere. :D

"We have had a few rough landings with collapsed undercarriage"

You gotta land in a tree to do that to a 152. Im surpised hes still with us