Uk Visa Application From Abroad

When applying for a UK settlement visa, is it possible to apply for a marriage settlement visa from abroad prior to going to Thailand, marrying and then being married at the time of the interview? Or would we have to be married at the time of application?

The reason why I ask is that my Thai fiance is currently in Thailand, I'm working in Australia. She's planning to quit work soon and move here on a tourist visa for 6 months to live with me (unfortunately I can't put her on my work sponsored temporary resident visa as although we've been in a relationship for 3.5 years we haven't lived together for over 12 months). We're then planning to move back to the UK middle of next year, stopping in Thailand for a month or two to get married and collect her visa. We want to apply for the visa by post from Australia in order to tee up an interview at the British embassy in Bangkok for when we arrive in Thailand and after we are married. Is this possible? Obviously we wouldn't be able to submit any evidence of being married at the time of application but we would at the time of interview.

Hi Nakrob,

Yes, that's perfectly possible. When you apply by post send a covering letter stipulating the approximate date upon which you'd like an interview and explain that whilst you're not married now you will be by that time. Also say that you will provide the supporting evidence upon the day when you will also pay for the visa. You should also state why this is the case; i.e. you and your fiancée are currently in Australia.

Scouse.