Do Thais Have Engagement Rings?

monkeygirl

Just wondering if Thais have/use engagement rings. I hear them talking about it but I've never actually seen one wearing an engagement ring and don't really see them sold either? Is it something you keep at home so you don't get robbed or are diamonds not popular? If it's something that Thai men don't do, do farang guys still do it? What kind did you get her and did she like it?

Just wondering if Thais have/use engagement rings. I hear them talking about it but I've never actually seen one wearing an engagement ring and don't really see them sold either? Is it something you keep at home so you don't get robbed or are diamonds not popular? If it's something that Thai men don't do, do farang guys still do it? What kind did you get her and did she like it?

Westernised Thai girls like the engagement and wedding rings Monkey. And they like diamonds. One has to be careful of the settings though, because Thai gold is too soft.

Yes, Thais have engagement rings but no wedding ring.

An engagement ceremony will take place before the wedding. However, it is common for the engagement and wedding ceremony to be performed simultaneously. In an engagement ceremony the groom's senior elders will approach, the bride's parents or guardians for approval and permission for her hand in marriage. In order to encourage an "acceptance" from the bride's parents certain ceremonial offerings are presented by the groom to the bride's parents as follows:

Engagement Bowl full of fresh flowers with artistic decorations. The numbers of flowers must be an odd number.

Betel Bowl is another present to the bride's parents. The size of bowl or tray is a little bigger than Khaan Mun, however it is also decorated with fresh flowers. The presents will be two raw betel nuts, 12 silver leaves, 12 gold leaves, 12 copper leaves, two bags of rice seeds, two bags of white rice, two bags of beans, and two bags of sesame seeds.

Dowry Bowl is the most important container for it indicates how much he loves her, how much financial support he can offer the bride's parent or how much money the newly wed couple can use to establish their future family.

d) Bai Si Nom-Maew is a large tray 10-12 inches wide and holds banana leaves in cone shapes resembling cat-shaped blossoms, hence, Nom-Maew. The globe amaranth flower is used in the beautiful decoration to show eternal love for each other. Bai Si or Khow-Kwun (Khow = rice, Kwun = natural spirit) means a ceremony to restore a shaken spirit and calling for prosperity and happiness. Also in a Bai Si offering, there would be cooked rice, foods, dessert, fruits presented in odd numbers.

Well, for my wedding we'll have both. She is having a ring made for me and I'm taking her to pick one out at Tiffany and Co. in Singapore (don't tell her, it's a surprise). These probably won't be worn (at least not by me... or at most just when we go and visit her folks) as they are really just symbolic and not practical to be worn. We'll have plain platinum bands with our nicknames and wedding date inscribed for regular wear.

Make sure you get a GIA cert. with your diamond, better if you at least have some experience with a jeweler's loupe, best if you take a friend who is a jeweler with you.

:o

madame palmer is one of those westernised thais who does appreciate a diamond... so much so that i bought her one for her birthday a couple of weeks ago... it was set in 18ct gold... suppose i'll have to marry her one day :D ... but i told her that if we do split-up then i get custody of the all gold & diamond jewelry accessories... :o

Just wondering if Thais have/use engagement rings.

What kind did you get her and did she like it?

My tiirak has one. Gave it to her on Valentine's Day '04. Not large, but definitely top quality diamond, 0.5 carat, E-color, VVS1 clarity, 18K 6-prong band.

http://www.thaivisa.com/gallery/Spee-s-Exc...enture/Mat_Ring

I told her it is very symbolic. Means it's beautiful like she is beautiful. Means even though we are apart a lot of the time, when she sees it, it is a symbol of the quality of our relationship. Means I can't provide everything, but what I can provide will be the best.

She was so excited when I gave it to her. Seeing her smile at that time is permanently etched into my RAM. She loves it!

I'm taking her to pick one out at Tiffany and Co. in Singapore (don't tell her, it's a surprise).

That's very sweet and so 'Sweet Home Alabama'. I bet she'll be thrilled!

Actually, I have been planning to do so for my future wife since I was 13 when I saw my mom's pleasant surprise when my dad bought her some bracelet at their store in HK (we just happened by the grand opening of their location there while on holiday).

Hehe, I won't be opening the entire store (and paying for 30 staff to be there to buy one ring) after hours though like the movie.

:o

After meeting with other matriarcs in the Thai community in Adelaide who's left ring fingers all sport one, Mrs Bronco had to have one.

We got it over here in Oz and is 18 carat, colours are varied between the wedding band and engagement ring, but she don't mind.

I got my wife a small ring in Thailand when I proposed . As someone stated , I did not want to put a large diamond on soft Thai gold .

When I brought her back to the states I " upgraded " to a Gia cert. 2k . She did not have a problem with that .

Didn't get one for my wife - she knew nothing about such ideas. But now that she's been talking to more Western woment she keeps on at me about it.

Thanks for the advice about Thai gold - good excuse not to buy one.  :o

My pleasure. Anything to save a fellow member some bucks. :D

You're welcome Doc.

She's started on something new now, though. Had to buy my daughter a bracelet yesterday - new gold store in Big C, Pattaya Tai. Only a quarter baht, but it's a crack in the door.

This post matches my membership number - time to retire?

But you're heading for the big five-figure post. That's a nelluva lot of posts. All during working hours?

Jewellery is very important to my Thai wife - she has become an expert on the quality and cut of diamonds and is now a collector!

I don't like jewellery myself and lost my wedding ring the other week which has made her anxious - guess I'll have to buy another one.

I bought one for my wife back in January before I got married in March. It was all left "up to me" and I never even considered Thai gold. 18K has a more elegant look to it anyway. Looked at 1K and 2Ks but ultimately decided anything bigger than a 3/4K would look gaudy on a small hand.