Linux Open Source Development...

Shuddee

In these days of increasing collaboration, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had taken an interest in or is actively participating in adding to the Linux platform. I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately on this, and how many people who work in programming jobs are doing this on the side as more of a volunteer effort for the common good, much like the Wikis project.

Just to let you know, I am using Windows XP and I know virtually nothing about Linux, especially in the way of programming, but I'm always open to suggestions at learning how...

Hi Shuddee,

You must not see it as a voluntary effort, I can edit improve, shape the source code of anything I want the only thing I need to do is make the changed source available to the public. This on its own, will ensures me that other people look at my source alterations and comment on mistakes that I maybe overlooked. All with all am I able to create secure applications without to much hassle and problems.

For commercial aspect we not actual sell the software, we sell service packages and contracts.

Hi Shuddee,

I am just a Linux user and not yet participated in any development yet.

I would like to say that Linux coding is not like the wikis where people contribute for the sole purpose of making the wiki useful to others.

Linux coding is more like if I require some feature which should be a part of the software, ill code it myself and then upload it for others to use, comment and improve. Its also been said that finding a bug is more difficult than fixing it.

If I find a bug in the software I am using, I would file a bug report for the sole selfish reason that it is an annoyance for me. Unknowingly I would have helped the community as a whole.

If not done yet, I would suggest reading "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-ba...zaar/index.html it is the holy bible for open source developers.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Shuddee,

You must not see it as a voluntary effort, I can edit improve, shape the source code of anything I want the only thing I need to do is make the changed source available to the public. This on its own, will ensures me that other people look at my source alterations and comment on mistakes that I maybe overlooked. All with all am I able to create secure applications without to much hassle and problems.

For commercial aspect we not actual sell the software, we sell service packages and contracts.

Actually this is a common misconception. You do NOT need to make the changed source available to the public unless you wish to release the change to the public. If you use it in house, than there's no compulsion to release the source.

Having said that, I believe that even if you use your software only in house, it still isn't a bad idea to release it to the "wild". Not only will hopefully more people have more eyes on it and potentially find a bug before you do (and maybe save you/your company time/money), but if it's good enough, and people like it enough, there's always a chance that it will be improved upon.

Hi Shuddee,

This is an interesting aspect. My background has to do with the worldwide distribution of software. Never have I studied formally programming during uni. Just back in the pre-uni days. I have experimented with website creation.

The profit model of the business I was involved with before was the selling of CDROMs. There was also a legal contract to provide services...along with a little (very little) bit of revenue with banner advertising.

I'm somewhat fascinated by this whole new collaboration thing on the Net now...especially with Half Life. There are more practical applications at places like yet2.com though.