Retirement - Not A Visa Question

brianwl

Hi All,

Some of you may remember me from late 06 - early 07 time frame. Well, I am now officially retired. I have sufficient income to meet the visa requirements, so the visa is not an issue.

But, I honestly don't know what to do with my time or where in Thailand I want to retire to. First of all, as part of my retirement I am not legally allowed to earn money (this is not just a visa issue), so working is out of the question. That leaves me to my hobbies which are Golf, SCUBA, history, photography, and fixing on anything mechanical.

I do not have a Thai gf. I've only been to Thailand once and that was Phuket in Sep - Dec 06. I do know I want to move to Thailand, but I really dislike the tourist crowds and don't care for bars at all.

So, if I move here are the questions:

1. Where should I consider living?

2. How do I occupy my time (this is a general retirement issue)?

3. Anything I'm missing?

I'm retired millitary and lived on the economy in many countries all over the world, so culture shock is not an issue.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian Try Pattaya (dont laugh) many golf courses fishing etc. putting that aside I do believe there is a Bar or restraunt that is used by ex military personell as a meeting place I am sure someone will add the details of this bar to this thread.. by paying it a visit i am sure you will get plenty of good advise.

You might try not settling in one place at all, at least for the first few years. Move around, going to the ocean for golf, photography and SCUBA diving, inland for history, photography and golf, etc. Maybe one place will really feel like home, once you've been to various places.

What kind of nonsense is that?!

I am rated "unemployable" by the Veterans Administration. It means my % of disability is less than 100%, but I am paid at the 100% level. With luck I will also have my Social Security Disability by the time I actually make the jump, which also makes it illegal for me to earn $$.

With that said, the money (85,000TB per month) I make now is not sufficient to "live" on the US economy but would do me fine I think in Thailand, if my SSDI does not come through.

I've been living hand to mouth for 4 years fighting this battle with the US Government and I am sick of it.

You might try not settling in one place at all, at least for the first few years. Move around, going to the ocean for golf, photography and SCUBA diving, inland for history, photography and golf, etc. Maybe one place will really feel like home, once you've been to various places.

Excellent advice, Cat - except perhaps for golfing in the ocean... :o

I came here four decades ago and always knew that I would live here someday but it took many, many visits to settle on one place but even Chiang Mai is a hub for my travels around Thailand for my hobbies/interests like snorkling, ultralight flying, motorcycling, Devil Worship, etc..

Many us who have been around the world once or twice miss the ocean/beaches while in the northern mountains, then miss the motorcycle riding/flying in the mountains when we are kicked back on an island beach inviting skin cancer.

To the OP, while you may not like touristy places, some of the hobbies you enjoy do not exist in the remote villages of Thailand so you have to find a way, possibly two residences in very different areas, to enjoy both. Playing golf alone in the cornfields of Issan is likely not your cup of tea, yes? No?

Having moved here from Hawaii (Maui) some years ago, I know that tourism advances like a plague and to escape it you simply cannot find areas where there are gloriously groomed golf courses or the best dive spots that have somehow been missed by those zillions of divers who travel the world in search of such places.

Overall however, I LOVE THAILAND and you may not always get what you want

But if you try sometimes

you just might find

You just might find

You get what you need

Rock rules...

How do I occupy my time (this is a general retirement issue)?

nobody can advice you proper in this respect and i feel a bit sorry for you that you asked this question. but the good news is that a good percentage of retirees (e.g. my [notso] humble self) are wishing the days had 36 instead of 24 hours as they cannot cope with their retiree "workload" :o

Have you considered living in Bangkok ?

Advantages:

- good transportation - skytrain, subway buses and metered taxis. Unlike most of the tourist centres, you don't have to deal with taxi drivers trying to cheat you.

- central location - gives you a well-situated base to explore all parts of Thailand

- medical care that is at least as good as that anywhere else in the country. And, you can probably get what you need without having to pay tourist prices for it.

- "anonymity" (re personal security) - if you live in a small place, every thief knows where the "farang" lives. And when it comes time to break into someone's house, everyone knows whose house is going to be first on the list.

- probably more oportunities to take Thai lessons, if that is important to you.

Disadvantages:

-pollution - but not so bad if you live on the outer fringes

- traffic congestion - but if you are retired, you should be able to schedule most of your trips at off-peak hours.

- more expensive rents/house prices - but most of this can be avoided if you are willing to live outside of Farangtown.

Many advice "moderation" in all things, or "Balance" as a way to happiness.

I would suggest you consider living just outside an attractive city that allows you all the urban "delights" without the disadvantages of remote village living.

When traveling in Europe, I came up with a solution that worked for me. Stay in a hotel at the extreme end of the subway station, usually at least 10 km from the city center. Quiet, cheaper and a country like atmosphere only minutes from downtown.

Many falang live 8 to 12km from Chiang Mai city center and enjoy country living but with the city at hand. In BKK you would have to live further out to get this "balance" but new public rail transport is in the works that would provide this "solution".

You might even find some cheap land near the proposed subway and skytrain extensions proposed unless those "in the know" haven't already bought it up.

Edited by ProThaiExpat