Decent Mountainbikes For Rent

db1tau

I rented a Mountainbike in a shop just left of the duke's restaurant on the river. It was ok and the price was 500 THB / week, thats really fair. But the bike was too small for me. It is ok to ride for about 20-30 km but for more than that it's a pain to ride it.

The mountainbike downhill agencies like "mad monkey" have got really good bikes but want about 500 THB per day, that is a bit too much. Anyway I will not go downhill so a hardtail bike is enough and I don't need discbrakes.

Does anyone know where to rent a good MTB (farang size) for about 100-200 THB per day (abt. 1000 per week)?

Marco.

The only rental place i know is Probike in Bangkok, not a lot of use if you are in Chiang Mai though. Why don't you actually buy one rather than rent? There will be a lot more motivation to ride more often that way.

I rented a Mountainbike in a shop just left of the duke's restaurant on the river. It was ok and the price was 500 THB / week, thats really fair. But the bike was too small for me. It is ok to ride for about 20-30 km but for more than that it's a pain to ride it.

The mountainbike downhill agencies like "mad monkey" have got really good bikes but want about 500 THB per day, that is a bit too much. Anyway I will not go downhill so a hardtail bike is enough and I don't need discbrakes.

Does anyone know where to rent a good MTB (farang size) for about 100-200 THB per day (abt. 1000 per week)?

Marco.

Cacti Bike on Singharat Rd (about 10 meters south of the moat on the left side) probably has the best rental bikes in CM -- Trek 4500's and the equivalent. All of their bikes are well maintained. He usually charges at least 300 baht a day but you can always negotiate a lower rate for a multi-day rental.

I got a trek 4300 now from cacti bikes for 1500/5days. The daily rate is 350 THB.

The bike is ok and well maintained and the owner of the shop is really nice.

But I think it is quite expensive to rent a bike worth 12000 THB for 300 THB per day when you can get a motorbike worth 40000 THB for 100 per day....

Next time, if I stay longer, i will buy one for sure.

Marco.

Not much of a bicycle enthusiast myself, but I have a friend who is.

For what it's worth, I remember him commenting that amphur Pai in Mae Hong Son province has a much better selection of farang-sized mountain bikes available for rent at reasonable prices than Chiang Mai. Not much help for you while you're here, but might come in handy if you ever find yourself going that way.

I got a trek 4300 now from cacti bikes for 1500/5days. The daily rate is 350 THB.

The bike is ok and well maintained and the owner of the shop is really nice.

But I think it is quite expensive to rent a bike worth 12000 THB for 300 THB per day when you can get a motorbike worth 40000 THB for 100 per day....

Next time, if I stay longer, i will buy one for sure.

Marco.

If you want to ride a mountain bike i fail to see the need to compare the cost with a motorbike. You either want to ride or you don't. Mountain bikes are for off-road riding, having fun and getting fit/healthy. Motorbikes are for sitting on and crashing into dogs, cars, trucks, people & other motorbikes. My wife's motorbike cost 42000 baht but it would not last 10 minutes if i tried to take it where i ride my bikes.

Nidge

Motorbikes are for sitting on and crashing into dogs, cars, trucks, people & other motorbikes. My wife's motorbike cost 42000 baht but it would not last 10 minutes if i tried to take it where i ride my bikes.

You have clearly never watched a group of Mong or Lisu riding three astride going full throttle on some ancient Suzuki downhill on a footpath that would be enjoyed by just about any mountain bike enthusiast. But you are correct, most of the motorcycles in Thailand these days are not designed for rugged riding in the hills.