Rain Delays Construction Of New Airport

george

Rain delays construction of new airport

BANGKOK: -- The head of the New Bangkok International Airport comapany (NBIA), has admitted taht the construction of the news airport has been delayed by the recent prolonged heavy rains.

Gen. Somchai Somprasong, the acting president of NBIA which oversees the

construction of the Suvarnabhumi airport told TNA he would report the delays in the construction of the new airport to the Cabinet during its meeting on

28 September.

The meeting is scheduled to be held at the airport’s passenger terminal.

The company recently hired the KP Group to build the airport's parking lots.

The construction contract is worth a billion baht.

Meanwhile, the highways authority is seeking additional funds at the Cabinet

meeting to build a one-kilometre long road to link the two the passenger

terminals.

The Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra has approved the idea in principle,

according to government officials. The actual budget now depends on what

road designs are agreed on -- elevated or normal ones.

The highways department is responsible for constructing three entrance roads to the airport.

-- TNA 2004-09-19

Sorry for being so uninformed, but where exactly is the new airport going to be? I've read the name of the location somewhere, but couldn't figure out in which direction from Bangkok it is.

Stroll

The new airport is between the Bang Na Trat expressway and the Route 7 New Rama IX highwat to Chon Buri. It is just to the East of the Route 9 Eastern bypass by the On Nut Latkrabang road.

It used to be called Nong Ngu Hao International but I think is going to be called the Suvarnabhumi Airport. Please excuse the spelling but I can't get my head around some of the Thai spellings.

Rain delays construction of new airport 

The highways department is responsible for constructing three entrance roads to the airport.

-- TNA 2004-09-19

:o:D:D I wonder which will be finished first?

I can just imagine the headline: "New airport ready, but access for vehicles is across a muddy field."

And the next day: "Few passengers were able to get to their flights today due to seven coaches, 23 minibuses and innumerable taxis becoming bogged down in the unfinished access road. The general manager of the highways department, Khun Giveussomedosh Anditllbedoneintime has promised blah blah blah... "