Grass Seed

Monkeypants

I live in Phetchabun, have irrigation installed.

I know that you can buy turf/tiles, but I haven't checked the prices, I assumed that to seed it, would be cheaper,based on the size, 2 rai.

Not to bothered about type of seed, don't know enough about seed to determine different types and results.

Cheers.

Yes - will be cheaper to use seed, but actualy I don't think it will be massively cheaper. Personaly speaking iId be inclined to go with turf tiles, having viewed them first of course.

The advantage of course is time, but a certainty regards what I am putting down, versus going to the hassle of seeding, then it all coming up with a load of weeds, some patches not coimng up , some areas growing better/quicker than others.

I seeded my lawn the first time I done (in the late 1980's) and struggeled for about 2years to get it up and going properly, and swore next time round to use tiles. An expat about 10 k's from me used tiles and was really glad he did, as about week later it bucketed down with so much rain, that he reackons he would otherwwise have lost the top soil.

Don't know if this is in the correct forum, but,

I am looking to grass about 2 rai, around the house.

Doe's anybody know where to buy seed in bulk, at wholesale prices.

Cheers

Depending on where you are, most places that sell feed / fertilisers stock seed in bulk. For two rai you don't need so much, if memory serves me right it is approx 3kg per rai; shouldn't cost much more than 500 baht for the seed as opposed to turf/tiles which costs around 25baht per square metre. Do the sum 2 rai (3200 m sq by 25 baht:) Sure adds up to a bit of doe!

!!!!!!!! - thats a hel_l lot more than I thought it would be.

Yep, we did our front garden last year with turf, approx half a rai; after a struggle I managed to get them down to 23 baht per m2, even this expensive. There are several places selling it, all of them wanting 25 baht.

Must admit it was worth the money, the results lovely.

Guess we are both insomniacs?:o

Cheers

I am also looking for grass seeds, but withoud sucsess so far. Found turf/tiles in Pitsanulook for 15 or 16 bath/sqm (depending on the grass typ); cost may increase with delivery. But still to expensive for larg areas.

Best regards, Mangofarmer

Cheers

I am also looking for grass seeds, but withoud sucsess so far. Found turf/tiles in Pitsanulook for 15 or 16 bath/sqm (depending on the grass typ); cost may increase with delivery. But still to expensive for larg areas.

Mango farmer, if you live in Phetchabun city, then try the battle horse golf club, on the army base on Highway 21, That will be my next port of call, I am thinking that a golf club may have seed, and a little tea money may go a long way.

I am going to try this the next time I am in town. Whereabouts are you in Phetchabun? and what size area are you wanting to seed? might be worth doubling up our order, if indeed the golf club has and are willing to sell some?

Edited by Monkeypants

!!!!!!!! - thats a hel_l lot more than I thought it would be.

Yep, we did our front garden last year with turf, approx half a rai; after a struggle I managed to get them down to 23 baht per m2, even this expensive. There are several places selling it, all of them wanting 25 baht.

Must admit it was worth the money, the results lovely.

Guess we are both insomniacs?:o

I have just had my garden done, the cost of the turf was 22 baht a sq metre, we used Japaness grass ( ya yippan ) I think it is called

Cheers

Mango farmer, if you live in Phetchabun city, then try the battle horse golf club, on the army base on Highway 21, That will be my next port of call, I am thinking that a golf club may have seed, and a little tea money may go a long way.

I am going to try this the next time I am in town. Whereabouts are you in Phetchabun? and what size area are you wanting to seed? might be worth doubling up our order, if indeed the golf club has and are willing to sell some?

Monkeypants, our farm is close to Chon Daen (but I am currently in Singapore), want to seed first about 4 rai (some aea under mango trees and some open area), later more. Any success with the golf Club? I calculated that about 50 kg seeds are necessary per rai. For a first test I would like to buy 100-200 kg seeds, yes we may pool our order. But anyway we may wait for seeding for the wet season. I have some ongoing enquieries about seed prices, will keep you udated.

• 2 weeks later...

I did an internet search about 3 years ago and got back a golf course, but they wanted to sell too large a quanity for me. I can now use a larger quanity and can't find the site. I have sent an email enquiry to a world wide grower looking for a Thai source. They did the Black Mountain Golf course in Hua Hin, golf courses would seem to be the best bet in any case, as many have bermuda grass fairways. My local does not.

I will post if I get a response. I won't be going to Hua Hin intil at least April.

Here is the info I just received in answer to my bermuda grass rep in Thailand enquiry.

Chris Emms

Director of Marketing & Communication

Quality Golf International Co., Ltd.

1858/15 Nation Tower, 6th Floor

Bangna-Trad Road

Kwang Bangna, Khet Bangna

Bangkok 10260

Thailand

Tel: (662) 751 4250

Fax: (662) 751 4258

Mob: (668) 1906 5023

www.q-g-i.com

• 9 months later...
OK I,m also looking for seed turf in the Khon Kaen area. I found one place that sells it but by the sq. meter. How do you sell grass seed by the sq meter. 18 baht

Hi generally most large scale plantings (golf courses and schools and parks) are done by "sprigging" whichs is by cutting small pieces of an existing known quality and type of turfgrass and directly sowing and irrigating them into your seedbed. This is done with many types of turfgrasses in this part of the world including greens on the golf courses. In California I've laid over a million square feet of "sod" on golf course renovation projects when instant turfgrass was necessary but it was very exspensive. the advantage of sod is that it will occlude any newly sprouting weed seeds so you don't have to worry about weeding (be aware other nasty perrenial types of grasses and weeds can and do make it through the sod to cause you problems. I have a friend who has a huge turfgrass operation just outside of Bangkok and has built many golf courses and other turf facilities here in Thailand and throughout Asia. If anyone is interested in planting a large area (I would think over five rai if you are nearby Bangkok and larger the further away you are) feel free to PM me and I can give you his contacts. Remember that preparation of the soil is critical to the amount of cost and labor that you will incur if not done properly. Choke Dee

• 4 months later...
If you guys are anywhere near Saraburi - Pak Chong - Mae Hong I can give you details on a place oppisit the Klang Dong air strip near the White Bhudda that sells truf tiles and seed.

Hi Mr MaizeFarmer

I live in Baan Phrik which is about 20 minutes drive from Saraburi. I also have been struggling to find grass seed as the area I want to sow is much to large for turf. I have about 400 square meters close to the house that I turfed - at 27baht per sq meter. The rest is about 3 rai.

So I would very much appreciate you directions.

Many Thanks

Nick

For everyone with queries similar to the OP's. Try your local Agricultural center/college/dept. Thailand is littered with them.

My local Ag center in Pak Chong has 10 different grasses to sell.....and on display + 6 different legumes. (Season dependant for some grasses)

They're very happy to see you, answer all questions and point you in the right directions. Take a truck, just in case you're pleasantly surprised. I was.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
For everyone with queries similar to the OP's. Try your local Agricultural center/college/dept. Thailand is littered with them.

My local Ag center in Pak Chong has 10 different grasses to sell.....and on display + 6 different legumes. (Season dependant for some grasses)

They're very happy to see you, answer all questions and point you in the right directions. Take a truck, just in case you're pleasantly surprised. I was.

Regards.

Hi,

In case anyone close to BKK is still looking for seeds, my maid just got me some from Chatuchuck. Bermuda grass sealed in one pound tins. Asking 480 baht and bargained down to 400. Planted a few meters on Sunday just to try it out. Anyone needs details of where let me know.

Nick

PS does anyone know the correct type of fertilizer for grass?

Thanks

I'm in Chiang Rai. After asking around at a few places, including the local Ag dept. I was directed to a pet store which had it. Actually, the woman at first said she didn't have any. Then I looked around her shop and asked more pointedly. After a little while, she pointed it out, hidden in another room. I bought the only bag she had, about 1 kilo. I planted it, and haven't seen any sprout yet, after a month of ideal conditions (excellent soil) and plenty of rain - maybe it's taking its sweet time.

Funny, I went back to the same lady, and asked if she had rec'd any new shipments of seed, and she acted borderline rude, and indicated she won't ever have any more in her shop. Is grass seed some sort of guarded cultural icon among Thais - off limits to heathen farang?

Also funny, the OP's question was not answered until the 17th post on this thread. I checked out q-g-i.com and, though they have a slick site where they present themselves as experts on all things related to golf turf - their links for grass seed don't work.

I'll repeat the OP's question, "where can a person purchase grass seed in Thailand?"

• 4 weeks later...

In response to:

Nick

PS does anyone know the correct type of fertilizer for grass?

Hi Nick,

46-0-0 Urea Fertilizer is Nitrogen only 46% N by weight.

Typically it is all you will need for lawn type grass.

Let's qualify that slightly by saying,

If you have a modest presence of P and K already in your soil.

If you know that your soil is wiped out from the beginning,

then cover your bases with 15-15-15 when you plant,

and proceed with 46-0-0 after established.

A lawn has very low fertilizer demand as compared to a field crop

Sandy soil is the exception,

because Nitrate and Potash are water soluble,

and will percolate with water below the root zone.

Nitrogen deficiency is an easy color test...if your lawn is yellow and weak,

hit it with a very light occasional application of Urea,

water it generously,

and see a dramatic change inside 5 days.

It is strong fertilizer, and any concentrated spill patches will burn the grass => dead brown.

Gypsum is a good buffer to prevent burned patches,

as it ties up the nitrogen until the plant root needs it.

Note that with a strong presence of gypsum in the grass,

fertilizer and dog urine will not cause burn patches.

It can be scattered on the surface of the grass,

and while a little works wonders,

you cannot put too much on...it is completely harmless in its own right.

Gypsum also retains water, and

loosens the soil surface to enable water percolation

Gypsum is slightly water soluble itself, so over the course of time,

will follow the water to an even distribution in the soil profile.

But this thread isn't about Gypsum.

If you want to grow grass for hay, then you'll also need

P, Phosphate for root development and blossoms/flowers/pollenation and

K, Potassium for stalk development and fruit/grain/seed

You won't need as much fertilizer as Corn, for instance,

but all plants need nutrients to grow bulk.

All rules go out the window with the low crawling crab grass.

If you treat it well,

it thinks you are trying to kill it.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I need to prepare a 20m2 area for a party in 6 weeks which has a pretty awfull lawn at the moment with a stoney clay-type soil. I guess I better go with turf tiles due to the time constraint. Actually I just want to pep it up a bit, no need for a Golf-course like lawn..

Can anybody give me advice how to improve an existing lawn with soil as described. Might watering and use of fertilizer bring significant improvement or is the only way to redo the whole lawn, adding or mixing with 'din dam'.

Appreciate your help!

@Nick

How did your grass seeding project turn out!?

welo

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know the name of the grass in the photo enclosed? Our cows love it.

Hello,

Have you any luck, with finding the grass seeds??

i have some cows in Lob buri, and search for grass.

you say that your cows love it, and thats what i need.

i want to sow 2 or 3 rai for the cows.

hope you can help me with it.

hope to hear from you.

best regards,

bangkoklover