Whom To Blame

tgeezer

Do you think that it is a good idea to blame mistakes on an outside influence like talking, movement, wind, etc or blame yourself? I was playing the other day when friend said that the reason he went in the water was because I was standing in the wrong place. I dismissed this in my mind because I always take responsiblity for my mistakes, but afterwards wondered that if I didn't blame myself I might get results as good as him.

Edited by tgeezer

In golf, it is perfectly acceptable to blame virtually anything for a bad shot.

I once blamed a bad shot on the sun getting in my eyes. Nobody asked me how the sun could get in my eyes if I kept my head down during the swing.

A butterfly once broke my concentration just as I tried to make a 4 foot birdie putt on the 4th at Siam CC one day. Have you ever tried to kill a butterfly with a putter????

So, yes, you may blame a bad shot on anything except yourself. In fact, it is preferred in the circle of friends I play with.

always an interesting part of golf is the blame and positive self-delusion (its opposite).

PSD example. a mate holes in one on a par 3. he is an ugly golfer, it was an ugly shot, going low left just clearing trouble,

hits front of green and runs up into hole. But he was convinced it was a good shot and was happy to tell everyone in the bar later.

BLAME: another mate, in matchplay against a wiley old 10 times club champion, missed a short putt on a par 3,

later he said his opponent stood in a spot near him where the sun reflected of his opponent's shoes into his eyes!

it is very easy to be distracted by anything when suffering anxiety standing over a ball.

or more simply just getting the yips (putting and swinging), anxiety causing stasis..

not wanting to boast but,

i used to have excellent concentration while playing golf (due to a meditation practice believe it or not),

this can drive your opponents mad because nothing ever seems to disturb your tempo.

so they think you are far more in control than they are, a definite psychological advantage in matchplay.

doesn't hurt to let this myth grow and become law among your fellow players.

once during matchplay in my club championships (i smoke a lot when playing),

i got out driver, teed up and threw a cigarette down on ground, just 4 inches from ball,

proceed to hit an acceptably straight and long enough shot.

picked up cigarette and proceeded.

a mate (the above one in the shiny shoes story), said to me, "didn't that cigarette put you off?"

i replied "what cigarette?"

folklore is made from such things.

PSD: the evil snake in your mind when, out of the blue, you hit a perfect shot,

you experience an extreme adrenaline/endorphin rush.

scream to yourself "I've got it!!!!"

so briefly in paradise,

until you hit your next shot.

warning:

too much blaming of externals is potentially hazardous,

you will establish a failed shot before even starting.

judicious use of blaming externals is very advisable for mental health.

but real players live by the credo:

"There are no could haves, no would haves"

not wanting to boast but,

i used to have excellent concentration while playing golf (due to a meditation practice believe it or not),

this can drive your opponents mad because nothing ever seems to disturb your tempo.

so they think you are far more in control than they are, a definite psychological advantage in matchplay.

doesn't hurt to let this myth grow and become law among your fellow players.

once during matchplay in my club championships (i smoke a lot when playing),

i got out driver, teed up and threw a cigarette down on ground, just 4 inches from ball,

proceed to hit an acceptably straight and long enough shot.

picked up cigarette and proceeded.

a mate (the above one in the shiny shoes story), said to me, "didn't that cigarette put you off?"

i replied "what cigarette?"

folklore is made from such things.

You are so lucky...my concentration is terrible...stand behind me when I tee-off...can't guarantee where the ball will go. I do find golf difficult in Thailand..chatting whilst others are playing..caddy wandering around when trying to putt..my friend can completely ignore all around..I'm not so lucky.

Thats Thailand..everyone happy and smiling..all the round..no f@@k it just mai pen rai...what a pleasure

If your partner didn't like where you were standing he should have asked politely for you to move to an acceptable spot. Which you should have graciously done. Reguardless of how good your friend plays, sounds like they could still learn a few things. Treat people with respect even if you get away without being respectful. "You" hit "your" shots don't blame others for bad results. If you want to play better try www.doughoodgolfschool.com

It is always my caddie's fault.

I always use the same one-she has big boobs.

I find big boobs over here distracting and hard to concentrate on golf. So whenever I hit a bad shot (50% of the time) it is her boobs that distract me; it doesn't matter where she is standing....I know they are around. And when she is hustling down the golf course it looks like those puppies have a mind of their own going every which way :o

Yes, I could change caddies but.......would you? :D

If your partner didn't like where you were standing he should have asked politely for you to move to an acceptable spot. Which you should have graciously done. Reguardless of how good your friend plays, sounds like they could still learn a few things. Treat people with respect even if you get away without being respectful. "You" hit "your" shots don't blame others for bad results. If you want to play better try www.doughoodgolfschool.com

Absolutely right, that was my original reaction, it was afterwards that it occured to me that for some people it is better to have an excuse, more positive, if the shot had been a good one it wouldn't have mattered where I was standing. This is more about mind management and positive thinking. There is no lack of respect in the group, thanks.