Bib Raid Ban Chang Bar

Jandajoy

Whats this about a smoking ban?

When did this start ?

Is it being renforced ?

Is it just inside the bars ?

Whats the price of a packet of smokes now then ?

:o

Whats that supposed to mean ?

Dont really answer anything or say anything

Bit of a daft reply, was it worth it ?

Since you're obviously a tad out of touch, let me fill you in on the big news of recent weeks which has been the subject of several threads here on Thaivisa and has occupied many column inches in the papers:

There is now a ban on smoking in air conditioned entertainment venues but the ban will not be actively enforced until 8 May, after which offenders will be fined 1,000 baht and the venue owner will be fined 10,000 baht. Cigarettes, Marlboro Lights, sell for 63 baht a pack. But as part of a consolation package offered to the smoking community the authorities have legalized the smoking of marijuana in such places therefore the use of this low grade drug is specifically excluded from the no-smoking act. Cigars and pipes (excluding those used to smoke marijuana) are also banned. Consumers will be able, effective 1 April, to buy small packages of marijuana for personal use only, at all branches of Boots Chemists and it is believed that the 7 - 11 chain may also offer this product at a later date.

Yep, just a shade out of touch

The date you can buy marijuana does seem a bit significient, are you really sure about that ?

I can understand a no smoking ban in resturants and pubs, but not the legalising of marijuana, THAT is definately something that could only happen in Thailand :D

I can just see some of the m/cyclists now, a couple of joints and they're off, they are bad enough without a joint

I suppose thats where Bhuddism come in, dont matter how bad you drive, you'll be back soon (and I thought reincarnation was something you poured over tinned fruit)

So can you stand outside of any air con pub or resturant and have a smoke ?

What about a pub/resturant that has seating outside, does that count ?

I guess it wont really make much difference to me as I dont use either

Edited by pepsi666

Whats this about a smoking ban?

When did this start ?

Is it being renforced ?

Is it just inside the bars ?

Whats the price of a packet of smokes now then ?

:o

Whats that supposed to mean ?

Dont really answer anything or say anything

Bit of a daft reply, was it worth it ?

Since you're obviously a tad out of touch, let me fill you in on the big news of recent weeks which has been the subject of several threads here on Thaivisa and has occupied many column inches in the papers:

There is now a ban on smoking in air conditioned entertainment venues but the ban will not be actively enforced until 8 May, after which offenders will be fined 1,000 baht and the venue owner will be fined 10,000 baht. Cigarettes, Marlboro Lights, sell for 63 baht a pack. But as part of a consolation package offered to the smoking community the authorities have legalized the smoking of marijuana in such places therefore the use of this low grade drug is specifically excluded from the no-smoking act. Cigars and pipes (excluding those used to smoke marijuana) are also banned. Consumers will be able, effective 1 April, to buy small packages of marijuana for personal use only, at all branches of Boots Chemists and it is believed that the 7 - 11 chain may also offer this product at a later date.

Yep, just a shade out of touch

The date you can buy marijuana does seem a bit significient, are you really sure about that ?

I can understand a no smoking ban in resturants and pubs, but not the legalising of marijuana, THAT is definately something that could only happen in Thailand :D

I can just see some of the m/cyclists now, a couple of joints and they're off, they are bad enough without a joint

I suppose thats where Bhuddism come in, dont matter how bad you drive, you'll be back soon (and I thought reincarnation was something you poured over tinned fruit)

So can you stand outside of any air con pub or resturant and have a smoke ?

What about a pub/resturant that has seating outside, does that count ?

I guess it wont really make much difference to me as I dont use either

Well that's what the Som Tam lady told me, she said she read it in the International Herald Tribune and their reporting is usually pretty good.

Isn't the maximum fine for the establishment supposed to be 20K? I think this is meant to be some "creative" police work as even the permanent secretary mentioned a 3 month lead in time with only warnings being given. :o

I vaguely remember reading in the article in paper, that any anyone caught smoking could be warned but on a

'case by case' scenario. Another words, don't take the chance, we could be fined.

• 2 weeks later...
roolz is roolz, som nam nar :o

did I mention I gave up 4 1/2 years ago :D

Yipper!

Did I mention after quitting for 2 months, I smoked one one your wedding night!

Was a lot of work reaching all the way up there in Yorkie's shirt pocket.

Been a good boy since. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Was in Ban Chang last night. 9:30 20 to 30 cops or officials of some kind descended on Soi 25. I was eating dinner. One of the officials looked like a general or something they had vans parked up and down the street and men in uniforms stationed outside some of the bars. 8 men came into the pub where I was eating and went upstairs and in the kitchen areas and looked around and then left. The guy next to me lit up a cigarette while the men were there and no one paid any attention. I didn’t hang around to find out who they were. But they sure didn’t care about smoking. I have never seen so many guys hit one small street before at the same time. Anyone know who they were? Most were not carrying guns.

When I talked to my bar owner friend in Ban Chang a week or so ago, he mentioned they had received word the BIB from BKK were coming down sometime soon to check bar license, girls ID's, farangs passports and just generally cause nuisance.

I would assume this is the trip that was on schedule.