Bib Raid Ban Chang Bar

Jandajoy

Can anyone confirm the following?

Last the BIB raided a bar in Ban Chang. 6 customers were fined 2000 each for smoking and the manager got fined 30,000.

cheers

Where did you get this from Jandajoy?

As Chang-Paarp says it sounds a bit fishy as they are not supposed to be fining until June, and then max 20k. Also most bars in BC are packed with 6 customers, and it's hard to believe they were all smoking.

Could be anti smoking propaganda as most bars are reverting to smoking now, but would be interested to find out.

Can anyone confirm the following?

Last the BIB raided a bar in Ban Chang. 6 customers were fined 2000 each for smoking and the manager got fined 30,000.

cheers

Where did you get this from Jandajoy?

As Chang-Paarp says it sounds a bit fishy as they are not supposed to be fining until June, and then max 20k. Also most bars in BC are packed with 6 customers, and it's hard to believe they were all smoking.

Could be anti smoking propaganda as most bars are reverting to smoking now, but would be interested to find out.

A mate was having a beer and apparently witnessed the event. It does sound like inventive policing, doesn't it. Presuming it happened.

Edited by Jandajoy

ahhh a mate told me that this did indeed happen. And the two that were fined are not only being held accountable for the 2000 each.. but the owner wants them to pay the 30,000 as well..

GOOD LUCK !! thats not going to happen... :o

ahhh a mate told me that this did indeed happen. And the two that were fined are not only being held accountable for the 2000 each.. but the owner wants them to pay the 30,000 as well..

GOOD LUCK !! thats not going to happen... :o

But the OP said 6 were fined?

Sounds like Chinese whispers to me.

Yes seems strange but what was consistent in my story with the ops was the 30,000 and the 2000 each... I was told two... others are saying six... anyone that was actually there should speak up... I would be interested to see if its real or not..

: side question .. what is a Chinese whisper?

Edited by swain

To put this to bed, I called a good friend of mine that owns a bar on the Street of Dreams in Ban Chang and asked him about this rumor.

He said the Bangkok police were supposed to come down Sunday evening to check for underage, license infractions and narcotics but they didn't show.

The smoking police have NOT been there and they are NOT enforcing the ban until 31 May. He verified this with his girls and they all said nobody has been busted for smoking cigarettes.

To put this to bed, I called a good friend of mine that owns a bar on the Street of Dreams in Ban Chang and asked him about this rumor.

He said the Bangkok police were supposed to come down Sunday evening to check for underage, license infractions and narcotics but they didn't show.

The smoking police have NOT been there and they are NOT enforcing the ban until 31 May. He verified this with his girls and they all said nobody has been busted for smoking cigarettes.

What is the "Street of dreams" Do you mean Soi 25?

What is the "Street of dreams" Do you mean Soi 25?

I don't know the Soi number. It is the street where all the expat bars are located. If you have been to Ban Chang you know which street it is. As I recall, it is the first traffic light as you enter Ban Chang from Utapao. I'm in Saudi now so a field trip there to find the Soi number isn't a good probability.

Most of the people I run with call it the "Street of Dreams".

Whats this about a smoking ban?

When did this start ?

Is it being renforced ?

Is it just inside the bars ?

Whats the price of a packet of smokes now then ?

:o

Whats that supposed to mean ?

Dont really answer anything or say anything

Bit of a daft reply, was it worth it ?

Whats this about a smoking ban?

When did this start ?

Is it being renforced ?

Is it just inside the bars ?

Whats the price of a packet of smokes now then ?

:o

Whats that supposed to mean ?

Dont really answer anything or say anything

Bit of a daft reply, was it worth it ?

Since you're obviously a tad out of touch, let me fill you in on the big news of recent weeks which has been the subject of several threads here on Thaivisa and has occupied many column inches in the papers:

There is now a ban on smoking in air conditioned entertainment venues but the ban will not be actively enforced until 8 May, after which offenders will be fined 1,000 baht and the venue owner will be fined 10,000 baht. Cigarettes, Marlboro Lights, sell for 63 baht a pack. But as part of a consolation package offered to the smoking community the authorities have legalized the smoking of marijuana in such places therefore the use of this low grade drug is specifically excluded from the no-smoking act. Cigars and pipes (excluding those used to smoke marijuana) are also banned. Consumers will be able, effective 1 April, to buy small packages of marijuana for personal use only, at all branches of Boots Chemists and it is believed that the 7 - 11 chain may also offer this product at a later date.

Edited by chiang mai