Audio Tapes To Cds

dekestone

I asked this question in the General forum last week but I'll ask it again here because I need some technical help.

I understand I can convert music from audio cassette tapes to CDs by connecting a tape deck to my computer, recording the music, then transfering the files to a RW disc.

What software and sound card would I need to do this? Does the "standard" sound card that you get with a new computer enable you to record music? What format would the music be in, MP3 or..?

Thanks for your help.

hi'

just plug-in your tape player into the line in.

then use a software like Adobe Audition (ex-cooledit), record the tape (full length),

then cut it song by song, apply some filters, like scientific filters (the 8 one), and the click/pop one, you may add some amplitude (amplify) never more than 6db ... let the prog calculate the best option, and apply, then save song by song in a folder created for it.

then ... burn your cd or cd-rw using nero, burn music :o

if it is not simple enough ... well ... call again with more details on what happened :D

cheers

francois

hi'

just plug-in your tape player into the line in.

then use a software like Adobe Audition (ex-cooledit), record the tape (full length),

then cut it song by song, apply some filters, like scientific filters (the 8 one), and the click/pop one, you may add some amplitude (amplify) never more than 6db ... let the prog calculate the best option, and apply, then save song by song in a folder created for it.

then ... burn your cd or cd-rw using nero, burn music :o

if it is not simple enough ... well ... call again with more details on what happened :D

cheers

francois

Hi Francios

Thank you.

That information is also useful to me.

Do you know how I can copy MP3 music the other way around, back to a cassette tape?

I have some music CD I want to use in the car but non CD player.

I hope that somebody can help.

hi´

as far as I know, mp3 don´t work on tape ...

so, you have to convert them in wave and then record them to your tape recorder, using a cd-rw,

to burn the files first in order to copy them on tape ...

I mean, use a cd to play on the hi-fi, and record your tape from this source :o

any audio converter will do the job :D

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

hi'

have a good time going all this ...

it does take a load of time, but it's worth the effort :D

you'll find some old tape sounding like new ones ... don't expect to turn tape sound into cd sound ... but getting them back with a clear nice sound is satisfying enough :o

cheers

francois

Hello !! I would like to do myself some recoding on vcd , want to use tapes and VHS ..

my question : did the same capture card will be ok for both works ?

i have videostudio 8 , will that be ok to get the format to play on a vcd machine ? or need Adobe Audition (ex-cooledit) as mention ..

thank

hi'

Hello !! I would like to do myself some recoding on vcd , want to use tapes and VHS ..

my question : did the same capture card will be ok for both works ?

i have videostudio 8 , will that be ok to get the format to play on a vcd machine ? or need Adobe Audition (ex-cooledit) as mention ..

well .. hmm (thinking...) ... :D

in order to make any movie, you need a video stream and an audio stream.

the video can come from different source, dv camera, avi files, or video capture ...

for your case, you have to plug your vhs player into your capture card, and record the vhs, this can take time ... you need to play them, and pay attention to the size of the file generated ... can grow up easily to a few gb ...

for the sound record it as I said earlier, keep it in wave format (pcm).

then with your software, you'll have to mix the two ... and it's not an easy work :o

it takes a long time, always a question of streaming and time line.

I just hope that it's only mixing video and music, this way is not this hard.

mixing video and audio (talks) is another story ...

the best is to prepare the audio with an audio program such as adobe audition or something else, but the ex-cooledit works well and it's easy to use.

when the audio is ready, prepare the video, meaning making the cuts you want, to keep, and then keeping them in different folders, along with the music you want to attach to them.

then, it's time to edit the whole thing :D

video-studio is ok, there are a lot more, it's a question of choice, some prefer this one,

others would prefer another software ... up to your comfort of use :D

hope that it helps a bit :D

cheers and good work

francois

hi´

as far as I know, mp3 don´t work on tape ...

so, you have to convert them in wave and then record them to your tape recorder, using a cd-rw,

to burn the files first in order to copy them on tape ...

I mean, use a cd to play on the hi-fi, and record your tape from this source :o

any audio converter will do the job :D

cheers

francois

hi

Thank you for the information.

This will give me something to do in my spare time.

hi'

This will give me something to do in my spare time.

this is the way I started to get all my old tape back in good shape ...

nothing to do ... raining a lot ... began to record and play with them ...

I'm so happy to be able to listen again to some old Greatfuldead, Hendrix, Miles Davis and so many more ... there are a lot to do more still :o

it's a nice pass-time :D

cheers

francois