"hybrid Car"

Thaiboxer

Seeing all these posts recently about modifications, I was wondering about another type of mod; that is, making a vehicle by using different major parts.

I was recently told about how one can purchase a secondhand Volvo and put a different engine in it. To expand on that, I was wondering if anybody has purchased a used, European car and installed perhaps a Toyota diesel/gasoline engine and manual gearbox assembly. If anybody has done this, how did it turn out?

I just tried www.12car.com, but it's not Thailand related. Is 12car the name of a place in BKK by chance?

I've always liked the BMW and Volvo models...perhaps they could handle a small, turbocharged (or non-turbo) diesel engine and be able to accomodate a manual gearbox. I would assume rear wheel drive would be the best choice as all the drivetrain components would fit in a straight line without needing fancy tools.

I would hope to spend a lot less than 600k! Diesels run forever so even with 160,000 km on the clock, it's not a problem. The European cars should weigh less than a pickup so perhaps you wouldn't even need a turbocharger.

Just chipping in with my 2 pennorth, I think you're on the right track. A friend just in here from UK test drove new Golf and BMW 3 series recently, both turbo diesels. Chose the latter because he prefers rear wheel drive, but was very impressed by the power and economy of both.

He says they both pull like fun until the torque stops (at lower revs than a petrol engine of course), but that's why they have 6 speed boxes. You simply learn to change up faster and earlier. And his BMW is giving almost 50 mpg. AND he doesn't hang about!

Flatouthruthefog...You mentioned a buddy having BMW 3 series fitted with a turbo diesel and a six speed gearbox. Where did he come across this and do you know what he paid for it?

I've never driven a six speed, but I'm sure it's easy to get the hang of the extra gear and the reverse located elsewhere. I've always preferred manuals anyway.

I always thought that fitting a diesel engine into a petrol car was a bit of a no no. The reports I have seen said the car didn't last long after the transfer due to the high vibrations and torque of the diesel engine compared to the petrol.

I would hope to spend a lot less than 600k! Diesels run forever so even with 160,000 km on the clock, it's not a problem. The European cars should weigh less than a pickup so perhaps you wouldn't even need a turbocharger.

That thread has drifted to various second hand engines and their features and quality and so on.

European cars with rear wheel drive, BMW and Benz, weigh as much as Thai pickups.

European diesels are a bit too early to show on a second hand market, I believe.

Flatouthruthefog...You mentioned a buddy having BMW 3 series fitted with a turbo diesel and a six speed gearbox. Where did he come across this and do you know what he paid for it?

I've never driven a six speed, but I'm sure it's easy to get the hang of the extra gear and the reverse located elsewhere. I've always preferred manuals anyway.

Yup. I am also a manual man, for want of a more polite expression. My grandfather in Ye Olde England, when seeing his first auto box in the mid 50's, exclaimed: "Never! Why did God give us left hands?"

But back to my happy BMW owner. Until I talk to him on the phone up in Pai tomorrow, all I can tell you is that he bought the car new from a main BMW dealer on the south coast of England in December.

Until he chose the diesel he was given a petrol engined M-Sport to tool around in. He liked the power of course, LOVED the special steering wheel and gear knob (can I use that word here?) but hated the expensive hard suspension and posey-posey wheels.

Now he has a real 'sleeper' high performance diesel with no badges, no 'sporty' suspension but DID choose the M-style wheel & gearknob. Price tba here asap.

Seeing all these posts recently about modifications, I was wondering about another type of mod; that is, making a vehicle by using different major parts.

I was recently told about how one can purchase a secondhand Volvo and put a different engine in it. To expand on that, I was wondering if anybody has purchased a used, European car and installed perhaps a Toyota diesel/gasoline engine and manual gearbox assembly. If anybody has done this, how did it turn out?

My ex girlfriend has an old volvo 240 GL (the WW2 german tank-look from the late 70's) with a toyota supra engine. I used to drive it frequently and I can tell you that it keeps a lot of people scratching their heads as I rip through the roads. However though, it is an auto transmission.

Still, to the best of my knowledge their had not been a lot of servicing and maintainance that is of consequence to the transplant. Same old chassis and suspensions and with the supra engine, its very swirvy and bouncy like an old caddy. At high speeds, the steering wheel vibrates but it may simply be due to the fact that the steering rack is just old and misaligned. Overall, its still a comfortable ride.

I don't know how much the mods cost and she doesn't know either because her dad did it ages ago before he gave it to her.

There is a place off Bangna-Trat road in BKK that has TONS of secondhand car stuff. I suppose you could dig up a diesel engine, manual gearbox and an old European or American car to create your hybrid. With the car weighing less than a pickup, you could probably get good speed out of it; especially if you had a turbocharger.

As for vibration/torque issues, the old tanks should be able to handle the extra load compared to the lighter vehicles today. Alignment and steering would need to be in good working order of course.

i bought, a year ago, a benz w126 500se with lpg. cost 280k. still has the 5000cc benz engine. Went already 18000km with it and only had to add 1 ltr of oil. compared with my truck (diesel), the benz 5000cc costs 1.4 baht/km while the truck with its turbo loaded 2500cc engine uses 2.8 baht/km.

Tracker...I assume your Benz was a gasoline car, as those should be easier to convert to LPG than diesel. Those old diesel Benz's are great though; engines run for years with few problems. I wonder if a Benz would have enough room in the engine bay to accomodate a 2-3 liter diesel from a pickup or even a small, commercial truck. My mother once had a secondhand Benz 1984 400 series turbo diesel (V-6). It was built like a tank. The only complaints I could think of were vacuum tube problems in the AC system and the front disc brakes being a bit small for a car that heavy. Otherwise, it ran fine.

My teacher has a Volvo... 240, i think. He put a 2JZ twin-turbo, auto gears, and LPG into it and it runs fine.

You can buy secondhand engines from Japan at Chiang Kong on Bangna in the king kaew area or some of the dirtier ones around Chula soi 32 behind MBK.

I haven't seen the place behind MBK, but the one on Bangna-Trat has a big selection of engines. Many of them are kept outside, even though they have covers on them. I'd hesitate to get something that was exposed to the elements. Some of the engines are commercial grade engines as well; like the ones in those small box trucks. I wonder if you could fit that in a pickup or European car. You'd have a VERY durable engine then!

The Volvo and Benz look pretty good. I'd be more interested in the Benz as it's a diesel, however I'd opt for a manual gearbox. There are plenty of places where you could get one or perhaps another brand would fit in there. For now, 280,000 is way out of our price range. Perhaps in the future, it would be something to consider.

INTJ, where did they put Toyota diesel in that Benz? I didn't see any shop names.

This question is continuation from another thread, but I think it's going to die slow death. I had three last posts there and won't bump it up unless something important comes up.

Hi Plus,

I don't know where the swap was done on the Mercedes, I think there are plenty of shops around that could handle that. I remember a few years ago I was at a garage where they were doing exactly the same swap to a Merc 500SEC, this was in the days when diesel was still subsidized at around 13 baht, while benzin was hitting 20.

Nowadays with the popularity and availability of LPG I don't know why anybody would want to swap a petrol engine for a diesel, I have an old S class merc with a 2JZ (N/A) running on LPG, in the last 2 years I've done 50,000 cheap, trouble free kilometers in a nice car.

Nowadays its not unusual to be driving at 140 on the motorway and have an old mighty-x pass you with a nice exhaust note and a gas tank strapped on the back, it makes much much more sense to throw a 1JZ and LPG than replace the OEM motor.

The older (1970's) Mercedes diesels are a pure delight, and relatively easy to convert to run on cooking fat, I don't know if anybody is doing that here.

For a cheaper "hybrid" car that looks pretty good value and condition have a look at

http://www.mercedesmania.com/forum/index.php?topic=18829.0

Cheers.

Edited by INTJ

I went to a shop yesterday, they were not very enthusiastic about converting turbo JZ to LPG, I'll e-mail them again to seriously consider it, I'm not in a hurry, it would take ten days for the whole job and the earliest I can leave my car in a garage for that long is early May.

There were also unsire about UZ engines - they are not very popular here, which can turn problematic either during the swap or when something goes wrong.

I think I'll settle on a n/a 2JZ, if they are still uncomfortable with turbo.

Diesel to LPG conversion was quoted at 50k (different place).

You are in exactly the same position as I was 2 years ago. I couldn't find anyone confident to do the V8 swap, and they hadn't really sorted the turbo/LPG issues out, but now turbo/LPG should be no problem at all.

Personally I would go for the best performance engine available (turbo/V8). The 2JZ is adequate but not a stunning performer, especially running on gas.

If you are in the market for a 2JZ engine/box with LPG mixer give me a shout, as I've recently been having strong urges to try the V8 conversion. I also know a very good shop.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

Wheel vibration can be worn and mis-shaped tyres, and can also be incorrectly sized aftermarket "mag wheels", especially vibration that seems to originate towards the rear of the vehicle and travel towards the front. Hub rings will cure it, wheel balancing will not.

Cheers