All Bars Closed Today, Tomorrow And The Next Day

mobs00

Slight thread drift here but.......does anyone else find that they actually drink more when these silly bans are on? Maybe it's just my stubborn nature, but I always find myself saying "no <deleted> government is telling me when I can and can't have a drink" and having a few extra to re-enforce the point.

No.

Thank you for your interesting, well considered and finely argued response.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Bars can resume business on Sunday at 6pm which is after elections have closed

We did not close on the buddah day but was unsure so called the cops and they said it was up to each bar if they want to close or not hense half the bars remained open and half closed but it was not the law that you had to close

Friday we closed as no other bar in the peak was opening so I went over to a friends bar at the boxing stadium on loi kroh I noticed linda bar on loi kroh was open and several bars (about 6) in the boxing area

Enjoyed multiple large changs as the evening progressed and eventually bthe cops showed up at 12.15am and procceded to shut everyone down with the warning that if they opened tommorow all owners would be arrested and fined 20,000

So I guess tonight will be hard to find a drink

Its so ridiculous as I saw many tourists walking around dazed not knowing why bars were closed hel_l they dont even post notices in hotels or inform there paying guests visiting there country about this crazy rule.

I understand thais should comply but why cant they say bars can be open but you cannot serve thais tourists only

As for being a bar owner your dam_n right this closure is costing me a bundle as business is good right now so losing 3 4 days adds up to a chunk a change

Peace

Edited by FarangCravings

Slight thread drift here but.......does anyone else find that they actually drink more when these silly bans are on? Maybe it's just my stubborn nature, but I always find myself saying "no <deleted> government is telling me when I can and can't have a drink" and having a few extra to re-enforce the point.

No.

'No' says it all. It's succinct and to the point. Does it need further explanation or clarification? Which part of 'No' don't you understand? :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

No.

You asked a question and got an answer.

What more can you expect when you make such an asinine post with the comment "no <deleted> government is telling me when I can and can't have a drink"?

No.

You asked a question and got an answer.

What more can you expect when you make such an asinine post with the comment "no <deleted> government is telling me when I can and can't have a drink"?

I take issue with your description of my post as "asinine". If one excludes the unfortunate use of the expletive, I suggest that the underlying point - that of government interference in personal liberty - was indeed worthy of a slightly wider discussion.

What more can you expect when you make such an asinine post . . . ?

I take issue with your description of my post as "asinine". . . . .

I would not, if I were you. Remember that Aussies use "cheeky" as a compliment..

Perhaps so Rass. But "asinine" certainly is not.

What more can you expect when you make such an asinine post . . . ?

I take issue with your description of my post as "asinine". . . . .

I would not, if I were you. Remember that Aussies use "cheeky" as a compliment..

Perhaps so Rass. But "asinine" certainly is not.

Ah, I see. Then you were not, I take it, using the term in the following sense?

as·i·nine (s-nn)

adj.

. . .

2. Of, relating to, or resembling an ass

Let's keep the personal insults out of the discussion - they don't add to the discussion and are against the rules.

Re: reason for the voting and consequent bar closure. Thursday was a Buddha day and while bars are encouraged to close it is not mandatory. Friday and Saturday are for the election of local government officials and it is illegal to sell alcohol on these days. This is to encourage Thais to make a considered and sober attempt at voting.

CB

Anyone who knows me knows I'm more likely to disparage the Farang populace more than the Thais, but the recent shutdown has me laughing to myself. And then some. Word is they need to shut next weekend for yet another election, and then one weekend or one day in March for yet another. Excuse me, how many elections does it take to 'elect' a 'government' in this place? (Don't worry I can either go without or find my own drink when I need one. I'm onto the bigger point here...) And then all of the closings only serve to highlight, that though they resemble modernity and many aspects of Western living here, they cannot be mistaken for our native countries (Or S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan). In fact it puts into perspective that they are neighbors to a block of nations like Laos, Cambodia, and Burma which they might resemble more than we give them credit for. Easy to get rose tinted glasses and forget the thin veil of progress here. Easy to forget how we have no say and must just go along with the rest of the country following orders, be they logical or not.

Apparently, apparently, Number 1 bar was fined 12000 baht last night (Sunday) for being open at about 9pm.

But everything seemed back to normal in the wee hours.

In fact, in the last couple of weeks the police have been quite hot on shutting places down at about 5 o clock. No such craziness last night.

For the sake of the tourist industry, this madness has got to stop. Thailand is mainstream, people expect certain standards. If those standards aren't met, they won't come back.

Thailand aint that special.

:o But oshiffer, I oly ha tee martoonies... hic. A tip o' the glass to the elections (but not what the will come out to be... another thread - I know, I know...)

More of the same this weekend I am afraid. We have been told no alcohol Saturday and Sunday.

This is seriously damaging to business. We lost 22.5% of our trading days in December, 10% in February and looking to be another 10% in March. Let me tell you it hurts, not just my pocket but all of the staff who will now find their bonus targets much harder to hit.

The eventual cause of these closure will be inflationary as businesses have to adjust prices to take into account the forced reduction in turnover.

I feel for you and your staff MB. And again, it's not just any work days that are lost, these are the big nights, the wet and watery weekends we all look fwd to. So does your staff vote in all these elections or what ? DO they even give a rat's @$$? And shouldn't they need even an extra day off to travel home to do the voting ? These are some darn convoluted elections. Perhaps new national sport but populace not yet recognizing it ?

Apparently, apparently, Number 1 bar was fined 12000 baht last night (Sunday) for being open at about 9pm.

I checked with Number 1 and this is not correct. They opened at 2pm (normal opening time for them) the police came at 9pm and told them to close until after midnight. They were not fined and didn't reopen at midnight. My source is Avon (the manager) and Joy (the owner) who is yours?

CB

I checked with Number 1 and this is not correct. They opened at 2pm (normal opening time for them) the police came at 9pm and told them to close until after midnight. They were not fined and didn't reopen at midnight. My source is Avon (the manager) and Joy (the owner) who is yours?

CB

CB, are you saying that in Chiang Mai rumors can be started that may or may not be true? Are you also implying that these rumors can damage a businesses reputation for no reason except that the person who started the rumor said they:

Heard it from a friend who

Heard it from another you been messin around

They say you got a boy friend

Youre out late every weekend

Theyre talkin about you and its bringin me down

But I know the neighborhood

And talk is cheap when the story is good

And the tales grow taller on down the line

But Im telling you, babe

That I dont think its true, babe

And even if it is keep this in mind

{refrain}

You take it on the run baby

If thats the way you want it baby

Then I dont want you around

I dont believe it

Not for a minute

Youre under the gun so you take it on the run

Youre thinking up your white lies

Youre putting on your bedroom eyes

You say youre coming home but you wont say when

But I can feel it coming

If you leave tonight keep running

And you need never look back again

{refrain x 3}

Heard it from another you been messin around - REO Speedwagon

Went to a Thai restaurant tonight...no alcohol.

My 23 year old neice arrives tomorrow, really looking forward to her holiday after a messy divorce...sorry you can't have a drink on your holiday till Monday...<deleted>

This sucks big time...if anybody can tell me where she and her girlfreinds can go and get a drink on Sunday I would be delighted to know

ummm...errr....What do they look like TP? :o

CB

CB, are you saying that in Chiang Mai rumors can be started that may or may not be true? Are you also implying that these rumors can damage a businesses reputation for no reason except that the person who started the rumor said they:

Heard it from another you been messin around - REO Speedwagon

You heard right and it's a great song from a great band

CB

Anyone have any confirmation if bars are closed today (Friday), i heard their closed Sat.

Only closed on Saturday this weekend.

no alcohol from 6pm tomorrow (saturday) to midnight Sunday ie. Monday morning.

Some bars will be able to "quietly" open Sunday for normal trading hours :o

Thanks Thailand for driving the tourists away yet again. All bars will be closed Thursday for a Buddhist holiday; which is good. But they will also all be closed Friday and Saturday for an election we can not vote in, again. And they will be closed on March 1st for another election.

This info comes from local Chiang Mai sources so if any other members have some info please add it here.

I personally hate to see the local farang forget to vote because they were out on the piss the night before.

Bloomin Eck Tucker the bars are going to be closed for the next 3 weekends I have been told. Is this true? If so waht are they voteing for? Why not just vote for evrything at once? Big form and loads of boxes.

huh? ban? what ban? my beer fridge never refused me. my storeroom is always full... if you get too thirsty you can join me, we'll find something decent on UBC, maybe... sorry, no bar girls though...