Massive Police Checkpoint Currently On Sukhumvit

Asiacat

There is a massive police checkpoint on Sukhmvit southband between Patta Klang and Pattaya Tai junctions at the moment.

Every single motorcyclist is being stopped and asked to show driver's licence, Insurance Cert and Tax disc.

If your heading down this way today put a helmet on and take your docs.

I am very happy to learn of this action. I only wish that the police would do more of it, and with less obvious setup than a "massive checkpoint".

We all know that the percentage of Thais who are operating motorbikes without licenses, and/or without helmets, is very high. I know that there are some farangs who do this also, but it is a much lower percentage, from what I can see of the helmet issue. (I have no idea about the licenses, of course.)

I'd like to see totally random checkpoints set up frequently, including many on "the darkside", where violations are clearly more frequent than on the west side of Sukhumvit.

Does anyone know what action the police take against people who are in violation of either the license or helment requirement (or both)? I know it's not what I'd favor. IMO, the bike should be confiscated, and held until someone with a license and a helmet comes to retrieve it. The person picking it up, whether or not it is the violator, should have to prove that the violator has paid the appropriate fine for the violation, and pay an additional fee for the "storage" of the motorbike. That's what's done with cars in the USA for such a violation.

If the penalties assessed for these violations are not reasonably significant, the violators will just blow it off, and continue to do the same thing.

If you disagree, I'd be interested in seeing your reason(s) why.

When this happens upcountry, I just look confused, blabber in English, and they just roll their eyes and wave me on. Works every time! :D

Gotta love Central Isaan!

Gotta love this attitude. :D Let's not think about obeying the laws. Let's think about ways we can get away with violating the laws. Nice. :D

And some wonder why many of us have negative feelings about the "motorbiker mentality". :o

Gotta love this attitude. :D Let's not think about obeying the laws. Let's think about ways we can get away with violating the laws. Nice. :D

And some wonder why many of us have negative feelings about the "motorbiker mentality". :o

I resent your implication, Patsy Boy (girl?).

My post did not say I violated any law. I always wear a helmet, and have all my papers, taxes, licenses up-to-date.

However, I just prefer not giving bribes and tea money to the BIB's. Up here, the only time the police have roadblocks for motorcyclists is when they need to replenish their personal petty cash. There is no "standard" fine. They look at you, assess your worth, and hold you hostage until you pay up. I've seen fines from 50baht to 1,000 (students to professionals). There's always a "certain amount" a little under their assessed fine that they're willing to take, and then wave you on. They only write out an official ticket/receipt if they sense you are stonewalling them. Otherwise, the extorted amount goes directly into their pockets with no paper trail.

I refuse to be victimized or take part in that charade of corruption.

One question for you: Is the "motorbiker mentality" an image from the last hel_l's Angels movie you saw in your home country? Now adjust your eye-glass filter to Thailand--imagine a student with a 200-baht-a-week food budget who just gets relieved of that amount from a dirty cop because his license tag was askew on the mounting (the last eyewitness account that came my way).

Your post reveals a sweet naivete about how things really work in Thailand. Enjoy the Western-colored glasses as long as you can! :D

Edited by toptuan

I resent your implication, Patsy Boy (girl?).

My post did not say I violated any law. I always wear a helmet, and all my papers, taxes, licenses are up-to-date.

I just prefer not giving bribes and tea money to the BIB's. Up here, the only time the police have roadblocks for motorcyclists is when they need to replenish their personal petty cash. There is no "standard" fine. They look at you, assess your worth, and hold you hostage until you pay up. I've seen fines from 50baht to 1,000 (students to professionals). There's always a "certain amount" a little under their assessed fine that they're willing to take, and then wave you on. I refuse to be victimized or take part in the charade.

I sincerely apologize to you, toptuan, and to any and all other bikers who obey the laws. I realize, of course, that the "fining" process you describe is far too common among the BIB. Your initial note gave me the incorrect impression that you were simply suggesting a way to get away with a violation.

The corruption within the police ranks makes it doubly difficult for this country to provide a safe and orderly traffic situation. I'm sure you'd agree that there are far too many who would rather ignore the law than obey it, as long as they can get away with it. Those are the people, whether Thai or falang, that I want to see properly prosecuted.

Entirely agree with your last paragraph. As to the first paragraph, apology accepted, and equally sorry about leaving my ambiguous post open to that interpretation. Ergo: I am now tucking my ruffled tail feathers back to where they belong (under my black leather and chains)... :o

post-21740-1203660958.jpg

Edited by toptuan

Isn't it nice how everybody is in agreement today. In a similar vein, what I meant by the u-turn comment was not to suggest anyone should use it, just that it is a fact that there is an easy way out immediately in front of the roadblock, and anyone missing helmet or papers are most likely to use that exit, hence the roadblock is IMO just a charade.

Does anyone know what action the police take against people who are in violation of either the license or helment requirement (or both)? I know it's not what I'd favor. IMO, the bike should be confiscated, and held until someone with a license and a helmet comes to retrieve it. The person picking it up, whether or not it is the violator, should have to prove that the violator has paid the appropriate fine for the violation, and pay an additional fee for the "storage" of the motorbike. That's what's done with cars in the USA for such a violation.

Got stopped without a helmet a few years ago when I first came here, thats exactly what happened. Riding along beach road and my helmet actually fell off as I had not strapped it on properly. Pulled over to go back and retrieve and and the BiB pulled alongside, gave me a ticket and took the keys from me. I had to go to soi 9 and pay 400 baht, and then come back with a receipt to get my bike back. Never found the helmet, but policeman said don't worry.

This would be a funny story if it weren't so ironic. I was driving along beach road only because I had just left the police station for paying a fine for going the wrong way on a one way street.

As I said I was new here, and came down soi 15 onto walking street, and turned right towards the beach - about 100 yards - I didn't know it was one way. Copper at the end of walking street took the keys and gave me a ticket. I knew the police station was on beach road so decided to walk (big mistake).

When I eventually got back they had moved my bike, but nobody knew where. After an hour or so on the radio it eventually turned up.............at the police station!!

So it was upon leaving the cop shop - a bit flustered - that I just balanced the helmet on top of my head and buggered off. The fines clerk had a bit of a laugh when he saw me back there a second time!

i got caught 2 weeks ago going the wrong down a soi, no helmet and no licence (i have a thai car licence no bike one).

total fine was 600baht in which i had 24 hrs to pay it, i was then told by the policeman to get back on my scooter and leave.

if the law were equaly aplied to all , no prob, the gentleman who want the vehicle confiscated, well think on or take some thai culture lessons, 4 maybe 5 thai on a bike no helmet or maybe one, no license no insurance, whats that, an eight year old driving, the five of them might earn 15k a month between them , if there working, probably mao etc,ect go learn pal.where are they going to get money for fines. mind you they always have money for whisky.

i was stopped there about 6 months ago, (didn't have my licence with me) its ok as you can pay the fine inside so only takes 5 minutes.

its a complete pain in the ass if you're stopped in Soi Nernplubwan as you have to go all the way up to the station in north pattaya :o

If the penalties assessed for these violations are not reasonably significant, the violators will just blow it off, and continue to do the same thing.

If you have a licence, they'll take it from you and issue you a ticket. You'll pick up the licence when you pay at the station. The fine is around 200 baht.

If you don't have a licence, they'll probably take your keys and issue you with an additional fine of about 450 baht (for not carrying a licence).

I say probably take your keys, because it happened once with me and they let me ride my bike to the station to pay the fine.

if the law were equaly aplied to all , no prob, the gentleman who want the vehicle confiscated, well think on or take some thai culture lessons, 4 maybe 5 thai on a bike no helmet or maybe one, no license no insurance, whats that, an eight year old driving, the five of them might earn 15k a month between them , if there working, probably mao etc,ect go learn pal.where are they going to get money for fines. mind you they always have money for whisky.

Sorry, egg, but I don't buy that excuse. As far as I'm concerned, the danger to everybody on the road, including the riders, in a situation like you described, should not be overlooked. (Not to mention the mess that these inexperienced, unlicensed, drivers make of traffic! I have stand on the policy that people who can't meet the requirements for a license and helmet should not be on a bike. Take the baht bus, and keep the roads safer and less congested for the law-abiding citizens.

(The problem with living in a Third World country is that there are too many poor people!) :o

Sorry, egg, but I don't buy that excuse. As far as I'm concerned, the danger to everybody on the road, including the riders, in a situation like you described, should not be overlooked. (Not to mention the mess that these inexperienced, unlicensed, drivers make of traffic! I have stand on the policy that people who can't meet the requirements for a license and helmet should not be on a bike. Take the baht bus, and keep the roads safer and less congested for the law-abiding citizens.

(The problem with living in a Third World country is that there are too many poor people!) :o

Is there a compelling reason you live here?

I personally think there should be no fines. OK, for minor stuff like no helmet, broken indicator etc. fines for them.

I'd jail those without licenses or insurance and I mean insurance which would pay me back for my shiny new Mercedes if they write it off.

You can't fine them say Bt100,000 because they don't have it. You can lock them up.

Harsh I agree but I see no other alternative as they know they can bribe their way out and if the damage is too great then they assume the other people will have insurance.

Maybe cutting their arms off would be a permanent punishment.

Somehow they have to be educated that they have no right to drive a bike or car and the first responsibility when driving is to have a license and insurance.

What do tourists do when they go to Pattaya and rent a motorbike for their one week stay?

I was reading the other thread and apparently you need a proof of residence and a visa in order to get a motorbike license in Thailand.

So what do the tourists do? Just rent a motorbike and take their chances on the fine?

What do tourists do when they go to Pattaya and rent a motorbike for their one week stay?

I was reading the other thread and apparently you need a proof of residence and a visa in order to get a motorbike license in Thailand.

So what do the tourists do? Just rent a motorbike and take their chances on the fine?

Get an international driving license in your home country, and bring it along with your national one.

Perfectly accepted in the case of tourists by both police and insurance.

A Thai license is only needed for foreigners actually living in Thailand (residents, which you supposedly are when staying over 90 days over here), although this is not really enforced. International one is accepted...

Is there a compelling reason you live here?

yes