Nam Pla Prik

ForeignDevil

looking for some clarification here

what is the proper name for this condiment found on nearly every thai table

it seems to be basically nam pla, lime juice and sliced fresh chilis

I've seen many recipes online with other ingredients added or omitted such as adding sugar or garlic, omitting lime juice

there also seem to be many variations of the name

nam pla prik, nam prik nam pla, etc

I know there are probably countless variations of this condiment but basically what I want to know is the standard name and recipe for the chili, lime and fish sauce version (there doesn't seem to be sugar in most ones I've had at the various street stalls in Bangkok, but I may be wrong)

thanks

FD

.........edit.......basically nam pla, lime juice and sliced fresh chilis

I've seen many recipes online with other ingredients added or omitted such as adding sugar or garlic, omitting lime juice

there also seem to be many variations of the name

nam pla prik, nam prik nam pla, etc

I know there are probably countless variations of this condiment but basically what I want to know is the standard name and recipe for the chili, lime and fish sauce version (there doesn't seem to be sugar in most ones I've had at the various street stalls

Regional variations AND for what ever dish it is prepared for!

Basically it's only Chilies and Fish Sauce...for Fish Dishes ad lime and Garlic...add some Kapi (shrimp paste) and you have "nam prik", it's the Thai Answer to the Standard Salt & Pepper or Ketchup and Mayonaise in Western eateries...

Edited by Samuian

As far I as know prik nam pla that you see on the tables is only chile in fish sauce.But if you are to ask for it,it all depends on the cook that makes it as to what you will get.But the law of averages is that you will get chiles in fish sauce.If you are in a tourist are some times thay will put sugar in it.I hate that.

Thais say prik nam pla. It is, as already stated, chillies in nam pla. I have never experienced any of the variations mentioned above. The idea of adding sugar! :o Although I could see the benefit of a little lime juice. Don't know if Thais have an other name for it, but adding manao should be okay.

Me too! There are raan ahaans in krabi where I go who will always bring a dish of chillis, chopped lime, garlic, sugar and nam pla when I say "chorp pet" but my wife (the memsahib - she who must be obeyed) doesn't.

Back home, I make it myself - by the way, the sugar isn't there to sweeten, you don't add enough to sweeten, but a pinch of sugar helps to focus the other flavours

"The chilli + fish sauce + garlic + lime juice combo that I get in seafood restaurants is called Nam Chim seafood."

To a Farang it may be called "Naam Jim Seafood" as it is used on seafood, however, with the addition of the sweet (sugar) and the sour (lime) to the salty, what we get is "Naam Jim Saam Rot" which is translated literally as 'Three Flavors Dipping Sauce." And it tastes great on most things. Anyway, if you wanna sound smart and say it like the Thais do, that's what it's called and why.

And hey! Suegha, don't knock the sugar; there's just a hint usually. You must've had it on a grilled fish or shrimp somewhere before. No ?

"The chilli + fish sauce + garlic + lime juice combo that I get in seafood restaurants is called Nam Chim seafood."

To a Farang it may be called "Naam Jim Seafood" as it is used on seafood, however, with the addition of the sweet (sugar) and the sour (lime) to the salty, what we get is "Naam Jim Saam Rot" which is translated literally as 'Three Flavors Dipping Sauce." And it tastes great on most things. Anyway, if you wanna sound smart and say it like the Thais do, that's what it's called and why.

And hey! Suegha, don't knock the sugar; there's just a hint usually. You must've had it on a grilled fish or shrimp somewhere before. No ?

A pinch would be acceptable!