Getting To Koh Samui From Bangkok

Well, I've booked and paid for my one-way flight from UK to Bangkok on 31st October, and after a week or so's stay there, I am headed to Koh Samui where I intend to stay for at least 6 months, if not longer.

I know someone there who has suggested that the best way from BKK is to use the VIP coach which is cheap, he says. What's the cost and as I'd rather prefer to use the train, is it worth doing that instead? Or will I be wallowing in pig muck with chickens flapping about my head? :o

And how long is the journey, by either method of travel?

He tells me that the air fares from BKK to KS are exorbitant. I must say, I'd prefer to see something of the country on the way and don't want to unnecessarily waste money either.

I take it that I get whatever overland transport I choose from BKK to Surat Thani and then the ferry from there to Koh Samui? I've seen a reply to another thread which alarms me about not using Songserm. What's the best/cheapest/easiest way over?

TIA.

I prefer the train.

It is about 500 baht for a seat/bed in 2nd class. First class is 8-900 baht. Comfortable and you travel at night so you are rested when you arrive the next morning. (If you can sleep on trains of course). And nice chicks and some ugly pigs. Trip is about 10-11 hours.

Not much sightseeing with the train it gets dark around 6-7 evening.

The connecting bus and ferry to Samui are nice. Sets you back another whopping 160 baht. :o

This part i like best. See some of Surat Thani in the bus and go to the upper deck for a nice view of the sea and islands. A nice way to arrive in Samui.

Only problem is your travel time. In November it is right in the middle of rain season so the boatride can be a bit bumpy and if it rains forget about the views.

You will arrive on the west side probably in Nathon from where you can take a songtheaw, forget the &$%#% expensive taxis, to where you will be staying.

If you not in a hurry i can suggest another route.

First the train from Bangkok to Chumphon (6-8 hours), Had Sairee (20 minutes) is nice. Stay there for a day. Next morning take the boat to Koh Tao (1:30 Hr.). Do some sightseeing. Stay if you like. Take a boat to Samui (1:45 hr). The boats are very fast catamarans and if you have some waves the boat ride is a lot of fun. This boat arrives in the north of Samui. Bo Phut or MeaNam not sure but they are close together. From there a short ride to whereever you going.

Have a nice trip. And welcome to Samui. I think you will like it.

I had some freinds come down from BKK last year by bus. They said that the bus arrives in Surat very early and dumps you at the ferry port, you then have to wait another couple of hours for the first ferry which is a pain if you have just had an uncomfortable and sleepless night on the bus.

The only way to fly to Samui (at the moment) is via Bangkok air. Despite the high prices I actually like this airline - they still fly small turboprops so you get to see the islands as you fly in, their waiting lounge at BKK is nice with internet access and free drinks, and they are usually very good about letting me change my flights (i.e. if I arrive early they let me get an earlier flight).

Check out the visas section for the arguments about one way flights - some people say OK, others say you will be denied boarding if you do not have an onward flight.

That's me mrfixit, just call me the one woman anti-songserm brigade! :o

If you take the train, 2nd class air is nice, you can buy a joint ticket to Samui but specify NOT Songserm. End of October is smack dab in the rainy season and the weather can be very bad. You do not want to be on Songserm's leaky boats in the rainy season! Seatrans has a nice car ferry to Samui as does Raja Ferry. Alternatively BKK Air offers a low price for first flights and last flights of the day (2000 Baht), downside? first flight is at something like 6 am :D Anyway, you can check out their website.

Forget the VIP bus, the savings is minimal (maybe 300 baht) and the hassle extensive. Most people get stuck on the Khao San Road buses which do take you to the pier (but with the added benefit of perhaps losing a few belongings en route) or the Southern Bus Terminal buses which drop you off 5k outside of Surat Thani Town, from which you must get a bus/songthaew (don't take the taxis, wait for the regularly sheduled bus--they even tried to rip off my husband. They wanted 300 baht to take him into town, he waited 15 minutes for the songthaew and paid 7) into town and then get the bus from the boat company office. Sound complicated? It is :D I always take the train. Nice and comfortable (the aircon one is less noisy than the fan), and a bit of moving around space.

The bus is a nightmare. A freezer on wheels. The train will cost around 700 baht for a sleeper berth. Both methods will take something like 15 hours to get to Samui.

Do yourself a favour, pay the 2000 baht(£27) to fly Bangkok Air. There's a flight a 6am or 8.20pm. You'll be there in under an hour.

You'll have other chances, in better weather, to look around Thailand.

:wub::o-_-

Or better still, take your time to get there and enjoy your trip…. :D

Stop over in Cha-Am & Hua Hin for a few days, then Chumpon etc… until you get to Surat Thani and/or Don Sak for the Ferry to Koh Samui…… :D see pic below of Koh Samui from the Ferry.

medium.jpg

You have enough time it seems.

I always now drive down to Koh Samui in my 4x4 drive, easy and very enjoyable. Ferries are O.K. if you are lucky…with a car that is.. :D

medium.jpg

Welcome to Thailand and Happy Days..

:(:)

Kan Win :D

-_-:o:(

Or better still, take your time to get there and enjoy your trip…. :wub:

Stop over in Cha-Am & Hua Hin for a few days, then Chumpon etc… until you get to Surat Thani and/or Don Sak for the Ferry to Koh Samui…… :D see pic below of Koh Samui from the Ferry.

medium.jpg

You have enough time it seems.

I always now drive down to Koh Samui in my 4x4 drive, easy and very enjoyable. Ferries are O.K. if you are lucky…with a car that is.. :D

medium.jpg

Welcome to Thailand and Happy Days..

:):)

Kan Win :D

Many thanks for the info. The photos are great. It's my first glimpse of the place.

I'm thinking hard of the best way to go. As I'll be arriving in mid-monsoon period, perhaps ferries are not a good idea! :D

Well, it seems I may well fly from Bangkok to Koh Samui. Thanks for all the input.

I'd thought I could have used the bus or train journey to see some of the country as I travelled down from BKK. However, as it seems that much of the journey is overnight I'll not see a lot. Also as the weather may well be bad due to monsoon etc, again I may only see rain! So it seems daft to spend 14 hours on a train or bus then not see a lot.

I really like the idea of going via Chumphong - Koh Tao - Koh Samui, but again due to the season, I'd prefer not to spend a lot of time being thrown about in a boat - memories of a dreadful shark-fishing trip in Cornwall with my son years ago spring to mind! :o However, I think I'll do that trip in reverse when I go off exploring later.

As the air fare as not as horrendous as I was told (I was told 100 quid), I think I'll just get the plane, as my pal who I'll be meeting up with lives in Bophut near the airport which is convenient and also I can start getting settled in ASAP.

Once I've got sorted out, I can spend a few weeks in better weather exploring the country.

So thanks for the help. No doubt I'll have plenty more questions! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I would forget the coach, my lady says it is a 10hr journey! and no joke,

Currently Bangkok Air have internet promotion first and last flight to Samui from bkk at about 2200 baht plus 400 baht tax leaving Samui.

I have used this service 1 hour and your there/back , book online at I think www.bangkokair.com maybe www.bangkokairways.com.

Book one way in England and book return in internet shop in Samui when you know what you are doing.

You'll have to pay to get to the bus station from bkk though with my lady it was only 110baht in taxi no doubt different story for farang alone, went to departure level and got in cab as it dropped someone off, as recommended elsewhere works fine.

You can also fly to Pattaya once a day om Samui with Bangkok air.