What Is This?

begsaresponse

You don't recognize a pineapple when you see it?

Thought it was! Don't know if it is edible or not? Or one of those decorative ones!

sweetchariot I'm one the case!

It's the highly poisonous "Sideways" pineapple, luckily easily converted into the deliciously sweet variety by liberal application of sugar, salt, chilli and Photoshop :o

Get the macheti out when it starts getting yellowish.Mate you live in Thailand and you've never seen a pinapple,really? You can also grow more pinapples if you cut the top off a mature one and stick it in the ground with the leaves exposed.

Get the macheti out when it starts getting yellowish.Mate you live in Thailand and you've never seen a pinapple,really? You can also grow more pinapples if you cut the top off a mature one and stick it in the ground with the leaves exposed.

Detailed instructions here http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/chlee/p...n/pineapple.htm gotta love these things :o:D

Detailed instructions here http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/chlee/p...n/pineapple.htm gotta love these things :o:D

Crossy thanks for the link.

Have seen many pineapples but the surprise of seeing one in my garden took me back a bit.

Thanks everyone for your help.

begs

I've got pineapples. You can propogate them from the top of the fruit as already mentioned but that takes a long time before you will get fruit. A better way is to get a sucker off of the plant.

After you pick the fruit look at the plant carefully and if it is a vigorous plant (good enough soil, enough sunshine, and enough water) you will see suckers (small plants) growing out of the central stalk. These are easy to seperate from the main stalk when they are ready and if you are lazy like me and let them go for awhile they sometimes will fall off of the main stalk by themselves. Anyway you take a sucker and remove the dried out short leaves at the base and then plant it so that the base (which will probably look brownish and with small roots already forming and looking obviously like it wants to be underground) and the bottom inch or so of the lowest most leaves are covered....DO NOT put dirt in the center. If you google around you can find instructions and picutures to reassure you....that's what I did. I planted mine in a double row, staggered, so that there is 60 cm between every plant. I planted mine in a raised bed since they abolutely do not like their roots underwater and will get a root disease if they don't have good drainage. The nice thing about pineapples is that they can take a drought really well....they can even efficiently utilize dew which collects on their leaves.

Looks like the one in the picture was not getting alot of sun (the leaves don't seem to be very big like some I've seen in the shade) so it might not make any suckers....don't know.

Chownah

I've got pineapples. You can propogate them from the top of the fruit as already mentioned but that takes a long time before you will get fruit. A better way is to get a sucker off of the plant.

After you pick the fruit look at the plant carefully and if it is a vigorous plant (good enough soil, enough sunshine, and enough water) you will see suckers (small plants) growing out of the central stalk. These are easy to seperate from the main stalk when they are ready and if you are lazy like me and let them go for awhile they sometimes will fall off of the main stalk by themselves. Anyway you take a sucker and remove the dried out short leaves at the base and then plant it so that the base (which will probably look brownish and with small roots already forming and looking obviously like it wants to be underground) and the bottom inch or so of the lowest most leaves are covered....DO NOT put dirt in the center. If you google around you can find instructions and picutures to reassure you....that's what I did. I planted mine in a double row, staggered, so that there is 60 cm between every plant. I planted mine in a raised bed since they abolutely do not like their roots underwater and will get a root disease if they don't have good drainage. The nice thing about pineapples is that they can take a drought really well....they can even efficiently utilize dew which collects on their leaves.

Looks like the one in the picture was not getting alot of sun (the leaves don't seem to be very big like some I've seen in the shade) so it might not make any suckers....don't know.

Chownah

Thanks very much