Bars Shut Down Last Night For Selling Beer Soi 7/8?

funfun

That's a bummer, what about the rugby tonight?

I could watch it at home, but it ain't the same.

was in gu li vers last night they said tonight be ok, and sun? worth a walk, somthing should be ok

I assume you were/ are shut then Chris?

yep closed again today & tommorow, i do the usual, i talk to the locals listen to what they say then do the opposite, it works fine!

normally resulting in a call to bertie bassett, for advice (and of course my breakfast)

bertie basset, some kind of code ? :o

Naka.

Think Tropical Berts, his TV nick is Basset.

Very nice guy, well informed, and it seems usually translates the latest information for the other bar keeps in his area like Funfun a lot more reliably than the rumour mill.

100% correct! :D

Another month with 5 closures. I hope they nick the buggers who open (and sell booze) and close them for 180 days the <deleted>.

This is near the end for me with this shit. I've got rid of some already and I may well just fuc_k the game off as I cannot reinvest with these muppets calling the shots like closing 5 days in a month !

Another month with 5 closures. I hope they nick the buggers who open (and sell booze) and close them for 180 days the <deleted>.

This is near the end for me with this shit. I've got rid of some already and I may well just fuc_k the game off as I cannot reinvest with these muppets calling the shots like closing 5 days in a month !

i think there are many out there in the same boat as you

Between the beginning of December and now we have lost 10 days. I accept only one, the 5th December

Those 10 days out of approximately the last 100 account for about 20% of trade as there is a taper off and a lead up which you never recover. Your reputation also enhances itself as a bar "open" or "closed".

Now if these clowns could tell me why I cannot open when registration and voting times close before my staff have to come to work then I will listen. No-one can do that.

I've pulled millions out, I'll decide what to do about the rest and probably offload them as well. The service businesses I have I'll just close down as they are in their infancy. Another 2 or 3 businesses on the drawing board will not happen. I cannot justify reinvestment on any level.

Perhaps when they have truly fuc_ked it up and tourists are only allowed into LOS for 20 minutes every 5 years they will realise what they have lost.

I have only one idea left and it is a long shot that I go through with that. You just cannot work out the stupidity of these people.

I' am normally on the side of " if you don't like it, leave, we have to abide by the rules of our hosts" but I have to say I currently have a group of guests seriously p*ssed of with the elections and Thailand in general.

Arrived on Thursday and leaving next week Monday (3th of March), which is a 11 day holiday, they have potentially 6 days of walking street closed!

They don't care that you still can get your booze in a dark, music-less bar somewhere, they are here for the famous nightlife!

For them, the cost of their airfare (1100 Euro's) went up from 100 Euro/day to 220 Euro/useful day...

They have no problems with the religious day on past thursday, but they simply can't fathom the reason for closing go-go bars on election days...

I' am normally on the side of " if you don't like it, leave, we have to abide by the rules of our hosts" but I have to say I currently have a group of guests seriously p*ssed of with the elections and Thailand in general.

Arrived on Thursday and leaving next week Monday (3th of March), which is a 11 day holiday, they have potentially 6 days of walking street closed!

They don't care that you still can get your booze in a dark, music-less bar somewhere, they are here for the famous nightlife!

For them, the cost of their airfare (1100 Euro's) went up from 100 Euro/day to 220 Euro/useful day...

They have no problems with the religious day on past thursday, but they simply can't fathom the reason for closing go-go bars on election days...

"I currently have a group of guests seriously p*ssed of with the elections and Thailand in general"

as most of us have, the hoilday they have been looking forward to and working hard all year to pay for, then boom, with very little notice over here, never mind back home, all of a sudden well you can do what you want in the day but nightimes in the 24/7 city are closed! oh and if you fancey a pint on the seaside on ya holiday, well ya cant!

most people (i think) who have been before will return, but the people on there first trip here its bound to affect there judgment as to whether to return!

What is annoying also is some places can still blatantly open and sell alcohol yet there colleagues in similar locations with sinilar buisness cannot for fear of not only heavy fines but cos they want to do the job right by not breaking the law!

Nothing fair in any of this to anyone in the tourist industry, the hotels and establisments that dare open will have customers now, but will find people will go to bed early 6 hours in one bar is more than enough to get board, and next year again there no's will be down!

but anyway, 5 days starting tommorow, fun time again, then 2 days close again!

btw is it just me or does anyone at all know of one thai person that has gone to vote yesterday or today????

chris

The biggest problem is not knowing until the last minute when bars etc have to close for elections. The attitude of City Hall is really it is up to the bar owners to find out but I think that is a lame excuse! Some bars did not find out until the day before!Or on the day itself!

If bars had a callendar of events which flagged up when there will be no drinking at least they could give staff holidays on those dates.

Also I do think the amount of days have been high due to the varoius things Thai had to vote on I think starting just before Christmas until now. I don't seem to think it has been as high in previous years.

Oh well.........................

btw is it just me or does anyone at all know of one thai person that has gone to vote yesterday or today????

No, I didn't know anyone in the general elections either, but apparantly there were over 1 million of them.

The bit I can't understand is the early voting. These people have registered to vote outside of their home provinces, which is fair enough, but why do they get 2 days of voting, when the majority of voters next week only get 1, and why can't they all do it on the same day?

Went out with a friend last night and we could enjoy plenty of beer etc., enjoying watching the premier league. It is strange some bars really feared to offer anything, but others seem like not caring at all. Maybe they paid before. Stayed until the end around 3 am.

was in gu li vers last night they said tonight be ok, and sun? worth a walk, somthing should be ok

yep closed again today & tommorow, i do the usual, i talk to the locals listen to what they say then do the opposite, it works fine!

normally resulting in a call to bertie bassett, for advice (and of course my breakfast)

Thank you Chris for your kind comments, we dont often see or hear of you sober!! but with all these elections it looks like it may be a regular thing. As for me it was a 50 50 thing Booze or Food, do I close the curtains and serve drink to those I have told or do I stay open and just do food. The food won if only for the sake of regular customers who come hear to eat, but that dont mean I aint pissed off about the whole thing as are the Thais. They voted with their feet this weekend by not going to the Polling Stations, the election commitee are all in a panic now about next weekend.

A total joke yet again.....Walking St like a ghost town for another weekend....too bad if you came for the weekend.

Thailand doesn't give a stuff about its tourists.

Agree, imagine, most of the tourists spend at most 2 weekends here, then they enter WS and find it totally dimmed. And I assume the WS is still a major attraction for single travellers as well as couples and tour tourists.

It is true that Thailand in these days do not promote the tourism in a proper way. I guess most visitors would understand some restrictions on religious holidays, but this election thing goes way too far. I read in the Nation that on Saturday just 200,000 voted! How many got their weekend spoiled????

With all of the money I spend here, I sure do not feel like a "guest".

Thank you Chris for your kind comments, we dont often see or hear of you sober!! but with all these elections it looks like it may be a regular thing. As for me it was a 50 50 thing Booze or Food, do I close the curtains and serve drink to those I have told or do I stay open and just do food. The food won if only for the sake of regular customers who come hear to eat, but that dont mean I aint pissed off about the whole thing as are the Thais. They voted with their feet this weekend by not going to the Polling Stations, the election commitee are all in a panic now about next weekend.

well we was down for 1st and 2nd next sat sunday, but now im getting told its just sunday bert, what you got planned?