Non-native

luis0915

Hi there

I'm new to this board.

I was wondering if a non-native speaker could land a teaching gig in Thailand. My first language is Spanish (no Hispanic accent, though), but besides having 4 years of ESL teaching experience in S. Korea, I also have a TEFL certificate. I think I could probably find a couple of places if I were physically in Thailand, but I wanted to know if anyone reading this knows of someone doing it. I'm planning on taking the CELTA course at the ECCTHAI, and was wondering what my chances would be.

Thanx

I know a number of persons both here in Thailand and in Japan who are second-language speakers of English with European mother-tongues; they don't typically get the top pick of jobs, but they have no big problems finding work- even if they DO have quite a strong accent. With your additional qualifications and experience, you should have no problem getting anything in the lower to midrange- say, up to 40K or thereabouts, if you take your time and look around.

If you're lucky and find a place that actually wants you to teach Spanish, you could do even better- but most 2nd European language slots here are filled with French (this may be a government policy for public schools; I'm not completely sure).

Good luck!

"Steven"

Hey Lois0195, I think you have a very good chance of finding work. There are quite a few Philippino and other non-native teachers in Thailand. The only negative you may encounter is low pay. It is already low for native speakers and for non-natives a little lower, especially if you are comparing the wages in Korea. I have never worked in Korea, but I think the wages are much better there than in Thailand. You shouldn't have any trouble enrolling for the CELTA at ECC.

Generally you won't actually be thought of as a non-native speaker, 'cos you're a farang (unless you're dark skinned Spanish and then you could face a few problems). Generally (< got to use this word a lot in Thailand) when schools ask that non-natives need not apply they mean Filipinos, Indians, Thais etc. need not apply, and they're generally the ones that are paid a lower rate, not European non-native speakers. I'm not saying it's right, but that's (generally) the way it is. I'd say it's probably easier for a German with so so English to get work here, than it would be for an African American with perfect English. A lot of it is down to looks (at least at the low to mid range schools). Obviously as IJWT says the top payers probably won't hire you (but then it's hard for even a 'proper' native speaker to get work at these places sometimes). But other than that as long as your accent isn't too strong and as I said you're not too dark skinned (although in the last four years I have seen it improve a bit in respect to this), you shouldn't have too many problems finding work.

If you go for the CELTA at ECC don't let them fob you off onto one of the shorter courses, make sure it is the CELTA you do. They also offer a years (and you get the course for around half price....that is I think they give it back to you after working for them for a year) guaranteed employment (although a lot has been said about their scale of pay being low,I have friends earning reasonable money with them that are happy) which might help you? Or at least give you peace of mind knowing you have work when you've finished the course?

I don't understand though if you already have a TEFL certificate (how many hours? etc.?) why do another TEFL course (as that's what the CELTA is)? Makes no sense? Or did you do it a long time ago and want a refresher etc.?

I've had the odd Thai want to learn Spanish (at a good rate) but you'd not earn enough from purely teaching Spanish IMO (and IME).

Korea is probably more fussy than Thailand (and similar in their 'must look like a native speaker to be one' mindset...or at least so I've heard) so if you've done okay there in finding work, you should be okay here mate!

Edited by kenkannif

Thanx for the input, guys.

Anyways, it is kinda funny you mention skin color. Actually, that's probably one of the aspects that allowed me to teach English in Korea in the first place. That and of course my speaking abilities. I started out as a Spanish teacher, but Spanish isn't too popular (or necessary) in Korea, so I did it only for a few months. Eventually, the school decided that my English was good enough to teach beginners and intermediate students, and that's how I became an ESL teacher. They renewed my visa as a Spanish teacher and kept teaching English. Now, as I said before, I don't speak with a Hispanic accent (at least that's what I heard from native speakers), and I don't look Latino. I'm fair-skinned, brown hair and, at first, nobody believes when I say I'm Hispanic. However, I remember seeing an African-American woman showing up at the school looking for a job and being given a polite 'no, thanks'. Shortly after, I asked the director about her and he replied that he was afraid that the color of her skin might scare the kids or that the parents might not feel at ease(!) having their kids learning from a black teacher. So, as kenkannif said, sometimes in the ESL world, even the color of skin can mean the difference between landing a job or being unemployed.

I was thinking of taking the CELTA because it apparently weighs more than a TEFL certificate. I took the TEFL course in Mexico (140 hours). I might be wrong, but considering that most employers ask for it, and that I am not a native speaker, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one. I would like some input from anyone on this, though.

Cheers^^

I was thinking of taking the CELTA because it apparently weighs more than a TEFL certificate. I took the TEFL course in Mexico (140 hours). I might be wrong, but considering that most employers ask for it, and that I am not a native speaker, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one. I would like some input from anyone on this, though.

Cheers^^

What do they do tie a bit of rock to it? Check with Ajarn who used to be a CELTA doodah blokey thingy! But I think you'll find here in Thailand it won't really make much difference (again as I've said Korea is probably more fussy than Thailand). Employers generally ask for a CELTA or equivalent, you have the equivalent so don't sweat it.

Come on over get some work, if then find you need it (you won't), then do it!