Khao Yai National Park

rono

I remember having read on this forum that entrance fees would be cut in half for foreigners and doubled for the locals.

A few weeks ago, a French couple returned to my place and complained about having to pay 400 baht each to enter the park while the price should have been 200 each.

They had the tickets showing 400 baht.

A complaint didn't help, the guards say they don't know about new prices.

However, the prices have doubled for the thais....while remained the same for the foreigners. I assume they still have a lot of 400 baht tickets and want to sell them before printing new ones or are they just greedy....

I am trying to find an article in Thai and English showing the new official prices...although it probably will not help that much to get the 200 baht fee if the park rangers don't have a 200 baht ticket.

Rono, I don't think it applied to all Parks, some are still charged at the old rate, others went down.

There was a thread on this forum listing many parks with the new prices, besides I have found a few articles on other sites showing the new price structure for many parks including khao yai.

I don't know about other parks but I do know that Khao Yai park fee should be 40 baht for thais (old fee 20) and 200 for foreigners (old fee 400)

At present fees are 40 for thais and 400 for foreigners in Khao Yai so clearly a fact of getting more money.

I was able to get 3 foreigners in the park with my car, they paid only 40 baht becos I told the guard they had a workpermit and he believed me, the funny thing was...in the evening those 3 guys wanted me to bring them a few bottles of liquor...we agreed on a delivery price to camping site...I took my car and explained the guard ( not the same guy) that earlier in the day I brought 3 guys in and that they needed something...didn't have to pay the fee for myself nor for the car..went in free.

But the fact remains that the fee should be 200 instead of 400.

I am here on retirement visa - ie without a work permit - and I went through a number of times last year claiming (accurately) residence supported only by by thai driving license. Some guards were more reluctant than others but I did go through on the 40 baht rate.

A workpermit or thai drivers license will get you the thai price at most venues. My point is that since december last year the fee for foreigners has been cut from 400 to 200 but that they don't follow it here at the park.

I have found several sites showing the 200 baht fee, foreign tourists will reading TV or other websites will expect to pay 200 when they are at the gates but will be forced to pay double causing just more anger and confusion

A workpermit or thai drivers license will get you the thai price at most venues. My point is that since december last year the fee for foreigners has been cut from 400 to 200 but that they don't follow it here at the park.

I have found several sites showing the 200 baht fee, foreign tourists will reading TV or other websites will expect to pay 200 when they are at the gates but will be forced to pay double causing just more anger and confusion

I thought Khao Yai was one of those charged at the premium rate, like Phu Kradung.

Rono, I don't think it applied to all Parks, some are still charged at the old rate, others went down.

There was a thread on this forum listing many parks with the new prices, besides I have found a few articles on other sites showing the new price structure for many parks including khao yai.

I don't know about other parks but I do know that Khao Yai park fee should be 40 baht for thais (old fee 20) and 200 for foreigners (old fee 400)

At present fees are 40 for thais and 400 for foreigners in Khao Yai so clearly a fact of getting more money.

I was able to get 3 foreigners in the park with my car, they paid only 40 baht becos I told the guard they had a workpermit and he believed me, the funny thing was...in the evening those 3 guys wanted me to bring them a few bottles of liquor...we agreed on a delivery price to camping site...I took my car and explained the guard ( not the same guy) that earlier in the day I brought 3 guys in and that they needed something...didn't have to pay the fee for myself nor for the car..went in free.

But the fact remains that the fee should be 200 instead of 400.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1675536

Khao Yai = 400 baht...

Irregardless of the park, there is a foreigner rate and a Thai rate.

Driver's licenses, work permits, other misc. assorted other papers do not legally have any bearing.

Although, certainly, at some parks on some days at some times with some gate keepers, rules are not followed.

Legally, Thai rate = Thai National ID Card.

Edited by sriracha john

Are you sure about that John? I was always told that because I pay taxes here (around 120k annually) the work permit and/or tax id card are all that is legally required for entrance to national parks at the local rate. I could be wrong, but I've always just paid the local rate when I have bothered to bring those documents with me.

QUOTE (sriracha john @ 2008-02-26 13:30:49) *

Are you sure about that John? I was always told that because I pay taxes here (around 120k annually) the work permit and/or tax id card are all that is legally required for entrance to national parks at the local rate. I could be wrong, but I've always just paid the local rate when I have bothered to bring those documents with me.

Yes it's true. My friend and I had a long and friendly discussion with the staff at a national park near Chiang Mai (sorry I forget the name of the park) but basically he said that before the new prices came into force they were told that foreigners with work permits could get the Thai rate but after the changes ALL foreigners must pay the same rate.

I did manage to get in at the Thai rate though and since then I haven't tried any other national parks.

I went through the link posted concerning park prices and khao yai is in list 1 at 400 baht.

There must be a lot on confusion because I have found many websites listing khao yai at 200 baht.

I don't know how they managed to get it messed up again: list on tv says 400, other websites where you even can book the fee say 200....tit

I downloaded and printed off the original government announcement in Thai.

Khao Yai is 400 Baht for foreigners between the Nern Horm Checkpoint and the Sal Jao Por checkpoint. Other areas of Khao Yai are 200 Baht for foreigners. These other areas will be the waterfalls in Nakhon Nayok that are on the edge of the park, such as Sarika, Than Thip, etc.

Khao Yai falls into the group of National Parks which charge at the top rate for its most popular spots and a lower rate for other spots in the same National Park. The others are Doi Pha Hom Pok, Doi Inthanon, Thung Salaeng Luang, Phu Kradeung, Mu Ko Lanta & Hat Noparatthara - Mu Ko Phi Phi.

So to summarise your French friends were correctly charged in accordance with the current regulations.