Change Address With Credit Card

threelegcowboy

I have a credit card with a major credit card company, the limit for which I would hardly qualify for on my current income in retirement.

I not only changed my address from the U.S. to Thailand but later changed from an Airmiles earning card to a no fee card without any problem. Just asked for another renewal card, usually issued for three or more years, online without difficulty. The card is coming to Thailand.

The no service fee card ended up to be a Mastercard while the Advantage Miles Card was a visa card.

Hopefully you are not with Bank of America . In 2006 my Hawaii address changed since I moved to Thailand in 2004.

My credit card expired in 2006 & I was told I need a physical address in the U.S. cause of the Patriot act. I tried to have the card sent to my sisters house & offered a notarized document to them to verify. They weren't having it.They suspended my card till I flew down 4 months later & read the Nimrods the Patriot act & wised them up to their Ironious bulllshte.The only way I could get my card reinstated was to fly down in person & get the jerk canned. There are some banks that absolutely won't renew in another country(probably due to the fear factor of the card holder maxing the card out & saying see you!) The bank manager that stuffed me even hung up on me 3 times-when I was polite. He no longer works for B of A as my exgirl friend in Sonoma Cal. daughter is a top bank exec. that trained him. There are many misconceptions in the translation of the patriot act & upon renewal is when you will find out if your bank has a clue. My other 6 banks & credit cards -no problem at all. I know I may be one in a thousand on this, but best know your bank & ask questions. I have one other friend in Pattaya from England that has had similar(Not patriot act) problems with him moving to Thailand getting a card reissued after he lost his only card. They told(Lloyds of London) they wouldn't reissue to Thailand to much of a risk. It took till he flew back 6 months later to straighten it out. Whatever you do : make sure you got more than one bank or credit card, cause if the only one you got blows it, you got a backup. My Other banks now hold my assets. I left just enough to let B of A know how little I think of their big corporate attitude & they probably don't even care. watch your back & don't assume anything. Talk to your bank & find out their policy!

My other banks are sweathearts & take good care of me but when the cat is away the dweebs will play(at your expense)

Edit I missed your rating question till I reread. If it is your credit rating yes if your not using your card often enough . mine went from very high to average by not using my cards every month. And they will also adjust your % higher if you are not locked into a fixed annual %. all my cards are adjustable, but I pay the day the bill shows with bill pay in full so I do not need to pay any fees for the usage. They just hate when that happens!

Edited by Beardog

Why would you change it if you do your banking online.

Banks/CC companies use your long-term addresses as a sign of stability. It actually has an effect on your credit score. Also, when you use your credit card online and need to put in an address, it uses this info to authenticate and verify your CC number, etc.

It may not hurt you, but how can it be helpful?

Beardog: My history with "The Bank" goes back many years but I also "walked" on them back when they were debiting an account for withdrawals on the same day before crediting the account for deposits, thus generating unreasonable overdrawn charges and bounced check charges. That practice cost them millions when the class action law suit bit them in the ass.

In my case, while they were clearing a mortgage after a pay off , due to a delay in the closing date caused entirely by their problems and failure to notify me, I didn't make a payment and they docked me for late charges. Worse ye,t they put a blot on my credit record that I had to explain for more than ten years every time I bought some property, which was a lot in those days. I just gave up trying to get them to clear the negative report. They are the worst in my book, although I do know many use them. I think their customers must be masochists!!!

The more you change your address the worse effect is has on your credit rating.

Credit companies love stability.

Many other agencies can view your credit file, even some private individuals, for that reason some people may be concerned about their privacy.

Beardog: My history with "The Bank" goes back many years but I also "walked" on them back when they were debiting an account for withdrawals on the same day before crediting the account for deposits, thus generating unreasonable overdrawn charges and bounced check charges. That practice cost them millions when the class action law suit bit them in the ass.

In my case, while they were clearing a mortgage after a pay off , due to a delay in the closing date caused entirely by their problems and failure to notify me, I didn't make a payment and they docked me for late charges. Worse ye,t they put a blot on my credit record that I had to explain for more than ten years every time I bought some property, which was a lot in those days. I just gave up trying to get them to clear the negative report. They are the worst in my book, although I do know many use them. I think their customers must be masochists!!!

ProThaiExpat

I sympathize for your problem as well. When I opened this account I new the bank manager quite well, Had him & the wife over 6 times for BBQ parties. I was on Sonoma city council at the time & pushed his house plans through the planning dept. as he was having problems. How quickly he forgot when I moved to Thailand who I was.I had made a point when I opened the account the need for absolute assurance that I would not have any problems as I would be in another country. 3 years of problems with this bank. So when it came time to pull out my trump card & give him the boot , he finally put it together when no one else would help him when he was in dire straights with the planning commission for not submitting changes (prior to building & couldn't get any final approvals by any inspectors) that I was that one who helped him. Getting him canned......priceless! and even though I still have their high limit credit card.I keep the checking acct. barely alive.

Citibank was just around the corner & knew that an intl. wire transfer is a swift set of numbers....not a U.S. Transaction with routing numbers! They even know how to translate the Patriot act!

Your credit card has an expiry date. If the company does not have your current address, you will not receive your new card, and they may cancel your account altogether. Of course this depends on whether there is anyone else at the address, and whether they have presence of mind to notify you when important looking mail is received.

Another aspect to consider: If the OTHER person moves, and you are unaware of that (or don't have their new address), you may lose your credit card, if your new one arrives during that interval. That happened to me once, thankfully it wasn't my only home-country credit card.

On a related topic: Use each of your credit cards at least once annually, or they may be cancelled for that reason too. Especially if you have not used your card in a while you may want to make a discreet enquiry to your credit card company on this point, without telling them who you are, or why you want to know.