Relocating To Bangkok

derman53

am looking at the possibly moving to Thailand from the states in June of 2005. I have put together at least what I think is a comfortable estimate of what it will take to survive for three months. I would like your opinion as how off base I might be.

$10,000 to cover

600 - flight

1800 - TESOL and CELTA at ECC

750 -3 months lodging

500 - food

1000 - new wardrobe ( I am a big man)

1000 - other (transportation, laundry, phone etc.

The rest for whatever (emergencies, entertainment etc)

Try to land a job making 35,000 to 40,000 Bhat a month (have bachlors and two years as a corporate trainer).

10,000 - rent

10,000 - entertainment

5,000 - food and dining

2,000 - transportation

3,000 - laundry, phone, clothes etc

Any remaining after 30,000 Bhat goes into savings.

Is this reasonable. Are there any holes that you can see. Appreciate your input

Derman

Wouldn't be too hard to get job as an English teacher :o which on average pays > 30k / month.

10,000 for entertainment. mmmnnn... depends on what sort of fun r u looking for mate. (10,000 - very limited fun, hahahhaha...)

5,000 for food - average THB166/day, that's pretty tough for restaurant-dining, even for no-class 'restaurant'.

Good luck mate :D

Additional costs:

Electricity (if you want to sleep with air con, figure 1,500 baht/month)

Handphone - Costs maybe 8,000 baht to start, 500 baht per month.

Do you want cable TV? Add 1,500 baht per month

Laundry? (you sweat heavily here) - Unless you like doing laundry, figure at least 1,000 baht per month.

Concerning the 166 baht per day - figure 60 baht per day just for beverages - even drinking just water (6 bottles x 10 baht per bottle). You WILL sweat that much.

Taxes - on 40,000 baht per month, figure 3,000 baht for social fund and personal income tax withholding.

Unless you get a job paying at least 50,000 baht per month, you cannot get an extended entry permit - meaning you will have to make at least one visa run every 90 days - figure 2,000 baht four times per year.

Internet fees: Figure 20 baht per day - so there's another 600 baht gone.

Listen to the guy who told you to double your estimate of your monthly costs. You can suck up and live cheap for three months until you land a job - but after that, you need to live a bit. And jobs for farang are NOT esay to come by here.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Derman,

Just finished at ECC (Thailand). I moved from the states as well. I'm wondering why your cost calculations (those in the 1st category) in US$'s are for 3 months? Are you getting a TESOL and then CELTA? Not necessary, just do the 1 month CELTA. After you can get many many many many jobs, its just a matter of chosing the right one, you can make 30-40k bhat on average (in BKK) and survive. Outside of BKK teaching jobs pay less, living costs less and opportunities are less as demand is greater. Agree, double you food and entertainment costs and.........add in electric and H2O for apartment living, oh as well as a deposit up front. You'll survive, just try to come with some extra pennies for those unexpected costs.

• 1 month later...
Derman,

Just finished at ECC (Thailand). I moved from the states as well. I'm wondering why your cost calculations (those in the 1st category) in US$'s are for 3 months? Are you getting a TESOL and then CELTA? Not necessary, just do the 1 month CELTA. After you can get many many many many jobs, its just a matter of chosing the right one, you can make 30-40k bhat on average (in BKK) and survive. Outside of BKK teaching jobs pay less, living costs less and opportunities are less as demand is greater. Agree, double you food and entertainment costs and.........add in electric and H2O for apartment living, oh as well as a deposit up front. You'll survive, just try to come with some extra pennies for those unexpected costs.

i just have to add my 2baht into this. ive been here 5 years so far and loving it. as for the 10000 baht per month for fun. are you planning to go see the go go's or something? or drinking alot? i have never spent that much in a month on fun and yes before they say it, i do get out alot and enjoy my life here alot. as for work, he is right, its alot harder now for places willing to hire you here. yeah you can be a teacher for around 35 per month but you really dont have the exp for teaching in bkk now do you? so if you do get the teaching job in bkk ill bet its with some company that farts ya around cause your the nebie. best advice is very simple.

(find good contacts here before you come, research the company you get hired at before saying yes, good ppl are hard to find but not if you look in the right places. most off all , most of the teachers are wannabies with no degree's that stay for a year and move on, don't trust westerners here so easy as they will burn you faster than the locals will. no i have never been burned.) happy hunting and im sure you will love it here as alot of us do. need help? ask some one here with over 200 posts, it will show they are active and not just the 3month and move type. oppps how many posts do i have now? lol

Where do you want to live?

I live in Pattaya

Rent + water + electricity 6000

Gasoline 2400 baht

Food 6000

Entertainment 10,000-15,000 I like the go-go bars and go to them around five times a week.

Laundry 1000

Books (I'm an avid reader) 2500

Toiletries 300

Phone 300 baht

Internet 600 baht

1.1000 usd is a ###### of a lot for a new wardrobe. Clothes are dirt cheap in Thailand big fellow or not. Figure about 400 usd for this expense.

2. Living outside of Bangkok means that you would only need to put aside 5000-6000 for rent.

3.Entertainment in Pattaya CAN be very cheap. A lot of the go-go bars serve draft chang for 35-45 baht. If you aren't fussy on what you drink you can visit 5 or 6 go-gos and still have change out of 300baht. You can't do this in Bangkok.

4. If you live outside of Bangkok you may need to buy your own transport. A 100 cc motorbike second hand will cost you about 15-20,000 baht . Essentail for me I live in Pattaya but work in Sirracha Laem Chabang and Rayong.