Vested Wonders

Thai at Heart

Is it only me, or is every Tesco and Big C in the region overrun with farangs who like they have just pulled 6 hours down the pit?

I have no problem with people have a relaxing time at home, but if you want to go shopping at least put on a clean shirt and shorts instead of looking as though you have just got out of bed.

I just saw at least 6 blokes wandering around in crumpled vests and shorts as though they were on the beach. Isaan is a long way from the beach, and before anyone protests, it is nowhere near hot season yet.

Not everyone has a million bucks, but decent bloody polo shirts are a 150 baht up and an iron is about 750 or is there some mysticism I am missing in going completely boondawg?

Is it only me, or is every Tesco and Big C in the region overrun with farangs who like they have just pulled 6 hours down the pit?

I have no problem with people have a relaxing time at home, but if you want to go shopping at least put on a clean shirt and shorts instead of looking as though you have just got out of bed.

I just saw at least 6 blokes wandering around in crumpled vests and shorts as though they were on the beach. Isaan is a long way from the beach, and before anyone protests, it is nowhere near hot season yet.

Not everyone has a million bucks, but decent bloody polo shirts are a 150 baht up and an iron is about 750 or is there some mysticism I am missing in going completely boondawg?

Two questions -

1. what effect does it have on you personally?

2. why do you worry about it?

I could'nt give a rats ar$e about how other people look ( other that to take the pi$$ out of them with the wife). Sitting at a bar in Walking Street people-watching is gr8 fun and as long as they are not disgusting like TheWalkingMan suggests, this is a country to 'Live and let Live'.

So, Thai at Heart, I would suggest you do as your name suggests.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I think u are right but the other that respond are right as well, live and let live, dress like a bum most people do not care.

I just feel better about my self if I wear clean clothing when I go shopping or to town.

If u feel good about your self and your dress good for u, great. My impression of u is based on what I see and I really doubt if u care about my opinion.

Like it or not we are guest in the LOS and I recall my Grandmother saying wear clean clothing when u go to town cause u may be in an accident and u don't want the emergency room people to find holes in your underwear.

What u wear does NOT bother me I just smile and shake my head.

I think u are right but the other that respond are right as well, live and let live, dress like a bum most people do not care.

I just feel better about my self if I wear clean clothing when I go shopping or to town.

If u feel good about your self and your dress good for u, great. My impression of u is based on what I see and I really doubt if u care about my opinion.

Like it or not we are guest in the LOS and I recall my Grandmother saying wear clean clothing when u go to town cause u may be in an accident and u don't want the emergency room people to find holes in your underwear.

I am always clean and appropriately dressed when i go shopping, (my wife would not let me out of the house otherwise). If i see a farang in tesco's looking like he has just pulled 6 hours down the pit i just point them out to the missus and remind her how fortunate she is to have me. :o

Ron, As for clean underwear after an accident... If you can't have a skidmark in your undies after an accident, when can you?

I agree fully with you but like to add that is not only that we're Guest in this country we even represent our own country as well. And who didn't care about that, shouldn't wonder about the reaction of the native people of this country. It's because of how some present the foreign countries at places like Pattaya and Phuket and other Tourist places, that the Thai people changed in many ways to the bad side, in our eye's, which is nothing but miss-respect about how a lot foreigner present themself.

Cheers.

The other day I was going out to lunch in my village, I saw a foreigner shopping for beer in one of the convenience stores around here .

Had slight sunburn pinkish skin , was wearing only a pair of some kind of blue shorts obviously without underwear.

If you want to be respected, respect the ones around by showing some dignity !

Each to their own -live and let live as others have said.

It might not be respectful, but that is THEIR problem.

But why pick on farangs? Go shopping on a weekend or school holidays, and pick-ups arrive carrying practically everyone from the village, many of whom look as of they've been collected from the rice fields! Kids often in dirty clothes and the oldies with their betel nuts, spitting into their tin cans. Not a pretty sight!

But why pick on farangs? Go shopping on a weekend or school holidays, and pick-ups arrive carrying practically everyone from the village, many of whom look as of they've been collected from the rice fields! Kids often in dirty clothes and the oldies with their betel nuts, spitting into their tin cans. Not a pretty sight!

I don't really care, it was just that I saw so many in one shop. Obviously I am missing something fashion wise! If people want to go bush, that is indeed their problem. If they think it makes them part of the crowd, they are probably very mistaken.

And if people don't think we aren't all grouped together as one large homogenous groups of actions and beliefs they are sorely mistaken.

I don't really care, it was just that I saw so many in one shop. Obviously I am missing something fashion wise! If people want to go bush, that is indeed their problem. Why is it a problem? If they think it makes them part of the crowd, they are probably very mistaken.

And if people don't think we aren't all grouped together as one large homogenous groups of actions and beliefs they are sorely mistaken. And why should they care?

I don't really care, it was just that I saw so many in one shop. Obviously I am missing something fashion wise! If people want to go bush, that is indeed their problem. If they think it makes them part of the crowd, they are probably very mistaken.

And if people don't think we aren't all grouped together as one large homogenous groups of actions and beliefs they are sorely mistaken.

Take charge of your head man! Who cares? ''Sabai Sabai'' and all that good stuff.

I understand live and let live, however we are representing our respective countries whether we like it or not, going native in the village is fine, but when out iand about we should represent ourselves in a respectful manner, hmmm must be all those years in the military when we are told we are the ambassadors of our country like it our not adapt and respect the culture even if they don't.

I understand live and let live, however we are representing our respective countries whether we like it or not, going native in the village is fine, but when out iand about we should represent ourselves in a respectful manner, hmmm must be all those years in the military when we are told we are the ambassadors of our country like it our not adapt and respect the culture even if they don't.

A query - which country do you represent, which country do I represent, and which country does the next "poorly" attired farang represent - and how would anyone know, just seeing them walking through a shopping centre?

Unless they are wearing their flag on their sleeve of course.

Hmm, I know what the OP means. Ok, I don't make a song and dance about it, but when I see a farang dressed like a slob, I do sort-of frown to myself. Yeah, I know it's a free country and yep, it doesn't affect me. But, I just feel that it lets us all down, you know? I realise that the Thai don't know if he's British, Dutch, American, whatever. That's almost immaterial as they lump us all together, anyway. I'm not saying that when I go out, I always wear a Saville Row suit with a Jermyn Street shirt, Hermes tie and a pair of highly burnished Loakes. But I don't look like a bum either. I've seen farangs wandering around KK in shorts and a bare chest and it pisses me off big-time. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I just feel let-down.

Some of us have come here because we are ashamed of our native country.

I can't imagine feeling that way, although I realise some might. I left England because there were finally more reasons to go than to stay. But ashamed? The day I feel that way, I'll apply for Thai citizenship.