Gf Visa To Usa, Best Way For Us?

hi

i'd like to get my GF a visa to visit the USA with me for 2 weeks over xmas.

she doesn't own property but she does have some money in the bank, 2 kids in thailand (not comming with us) and we could probably create some kind of job for her here. she doesn't speak much english.

my question is, should she apply for a US visa by herself and say nothing about a farang boyfriend or should I help her (go to the interview or something). I have US passport, live in thailand full time, have property in thailand and can prove I plan to return to thailand after the trip so she would obviously want to come back with me.

thanks steve

If you have legal status in Thailand and can show your return and a close relationship with her that is likely to be a very positive factor. I would play that card. Go into detail with your plans/knowledge of each other and evidence of serious relationship/your plans to return and reason for trip being a family visit for the holidays (invitations?).

My gf just got her US tourist visa last month. She stated on the application that I would be going with her as her bf and that we'd both pay for the trip. She has a good job here and money saved (which I helped contribute to).

The fact that your gf doesn't have a job might pose a problem. Not to be nosey, but are you supporting her and her two children? If so, can you supply any papers showing this? Might help. Photos of you, her, and the kids will be a good addition to the application.

If you have legal status in Thailand and can show your return and a close relationship with her that is likely to be a very positive factor. I would play that card.

Defintely. You will be the guarantee that she'll return. Go to the interview, bring your passport and relevant documentation. When my gf and I had the interview the officer seemed more interested in me and my passport stamps than her!!

If you wanna go for Xmas then apply by mid-Oct at the latest.

Good luck. :o

Stevehaigh: You are indeed fortunate to have received posts in your thread that are uniformly accurate, based on experience and direct. I have yet to see a better group of responses in a thread that covers the issue as well and so succintly. Maximum documentation of your ties to Thailand will control in my view.

This week went with my Thai to Australian Embassy for a visa, 2nd trip to Australia for us, and only one question was asked "Is this the same farang you went with the last time". First attempt for vist was initially denied until the true nature of our relationship and my ties to Thailand were clear, then visa granted. Thus, be honest about everything. The interviewing officers have seen so many applications that they can spot "truth hedging" and "out of sync" behavior right off.

The U.S. Department of State is looking for "Compelling reasons to return to Thailand", so document those as best you can. Length of your relationship is most important, so if it is relatively short, try to "stretch it" without getting caught in a lie.

My gf just got her US tourist visa last month. She stated on the application that I would be going with her as her bf and that we'd both pay for the trip. She has a good job here and money saved (which I helped contribute to).

The fact that your gf doesn't have a job might pose a problem. Not to be nosey, but are you supporting her and her two children? If so, can you supply any papers showing this? Might help. Photos of you, her, and the kids will be a good addition to the application.

If you have legal status in Thailand and can show your return and a close relationship with her that is likely to be a very positive factor. I would play that card.

Defintely. You will be the guarantee that she'll return. Go to the interview, bring your passport and relevant documentation. When my gf and I had the interview the officer seemed more interested in me and my passport stamps than her!!

If you wanna go for Xmas then apply by mid-Oct at the latest.

Good luck. :o

you are lucky because in February 2003 and February 2004 my GF was denied a tourist visa. we have pretty similar circumstances. I had work permit and a history of returning to the US every february since 2000. don't know why we were denied. maybe because she only makes ฿9,000 per month.