Getting A Car Repaired In Thailand (bmw)

martincvs

I am writing here to share my experience regarding getting a car (BMW fixed in Thailand).

My car broke down last week while taking my wife to Thammasat University at Rangsit (something to do with the radiator and fan, some screw came out and hence the fan did no longer rotate). Our driver called a local garage, but the required spare part was delivered by BMW Millennium Rama 4. The car was fixed by the local garage and seemed to be working fine.

However, for peace mind, my wife and I decided that it would be better to have BMW Millennium to have a look at the car again (Thursday). We were informed that additional repairs were necessary (nature not clear). Also we were told that the part had broken down because it had exceeded its reliable lifespan [which surprised us since BMW Millennium had fixed this area about 2 years ago after an accident).

On Friday afternoon I received another call and was informed that yet more repairs were necessary and that the car would not be ready on Thursday morning. The technician was not really speaking clear (in both Thai and English) about WHY it was necessary but we thought, again, for peace of mind, we better get everything fixed. On Saturday morning finally, my driver picked up the car on Saturday morning, first taking me to the office and then me and my wife to lunch at the Conrad Hotel. Finally he dropped us and the car off at Ploenchit Centre were we planned to do some shopping.

It was there, and only 7 hours after we had taken out the car from BMW Millennium’s garage, that we noticed that lots of water was flowing out from the front of the car. A guy passed by and predicted a leak and that the car would no longer start. Unfortunately he was right. It was a very inconvenient moment! We called BMW Millennium who sent their mobile unit to check the car. Apparently the water pump was leaking and a spare part was required. This part was not available and they had to take the car back to the Millennium garage.

I do not know about you, but I think this is really shabby workmanship and service. We took our car to Millennium for peace of mind, not extra trouble. We did not have a problem with the radiator or water pump before. To me it came across as if the problem was caused because of inappropriate handling of the car by Millennium, causing other parts to get damaged or not being properly connected. In my opinion when you take a car out of the garage you expect it to be trouble free for at least a few months.

You know in Thailand many people are still reluctant to drive BMW because of exactly these kind of issues, complicated cars, high repairs costs (often open ended) and unreliability. BMW's have been with my family since the 1960s (my father, my uncle) and I am big fan. However, my patience is reaching its limits and I am particularly disappointed about the poor repair track record of the Millennium garage on Rama 4 Road.

The whole episode also had a particularly bad taste because it reminded me of previous problems with the repair service of BMW Millennium. I had an accident 2 years ago in about the same area (coolant / radiator etc). The car lasted 12 hours after I received it back from Millennium. It had to go back 3 times for additional repairs. Millennium had problems with fixed the board computer at the time (in the end I had to suggest that they check with BMW Thailand on what to do and then they got it fixed). My computer still wrongly shows that my rear brake is not working properly once in a while. I wonder, two years ago, did BMW Millennium do a proper job or is the current problem a result of poor workmanship at the time (since the area is almost the same).

Who audits the service quality and standards at BMW dealers and garages? Who audits whether the repairs carried out are done properly (and are necessary)? I am sure many customers feel quite powerless when it comes to these issues.

This is a special request. I need your help. The car is with BMW Millennium now. They want another 15,000 Baht for the repair, bring up the total to over 30,000 Baht for what was a small problem and for something that probably was caused by sloppiness during previous repairs.

I think it is ridiculous.

I am writing here to share my experience regarding getting a car (BMW fixed in Thailand).

My car broke down last week while taking my wife to Thammasat University at Rangsit (something to do with the radiator and fan, some screw came out and hence the fan did no longer rotate). Our driver called a local garage, but the required spare part was delivered by BMW Millennium Rama 4. The car was fixed by the local garage and seemed to be working fine.

However, for peace mind, my wife and I decided that it would be better to have BMW Millennium to have a look at the car again (Thursday). We were informed that additional repairs were necessary (nature not clear). Also we were told that the part had broken down because it had exceeded its reliable lifespan [which surprised us since BMW Millennium had fixed this area about 2 years ago after an accident).

On Friday afternoon I received another call and was informed that yet more repairs were necessary and that the car would not be ready on Thursday morning. The technician was not really speaking clear (in both Thai and English) about WHY it was necessary but we thought, again, for peace of mind, we better get everything fixed. On Saturday morning finally, my driver picked up the car on Saturday morning, first taking me to the office and then me and my wife to lunch at the Conrad Hotel. Finally he dropped us and the car off at Ploenchit Centre were we planned to do some shopping.

It was there, and only 7 hours after we had taken out the car from BMW Millennium’s garage, that we noticed that lots of water was flowing out from the front of the car. A guy passed by and predicted a leak and that the car would no longer start. Unfortunately he was right. It was a very inconvenient moment! We called BMW Millennium who sent their mobile unit to check the car. Apparently the water pump was leaking and a spare part was required. This part was not available and they had to take the car back to the Millennium garage.

I do not know about you, but I think this is really shabby workmanship and service. We took our car to Millennium for peace of mind, not extra trouble. We did not have a problem with the radiator or water pump before. To me it came across as if the problem was caused because of inappropriate handling of the car by Millennium, causing other parts to get damaged or not being properly connected. In my opinion when you take a car out of the garage you expect it to be trouble free for at least a few months.

You know in Thailand many people are still reluctant to drive BMW because of exactly these kind of issues, complicated cars, high repairs costs (often open ended) and unreliability. BMW's have been with my family since the 1960s (my father, my uncle) and I am big fan. However, my patience is reaching its limits and I am particularly disappointed about the poor repair track record of the Millennium garage on Rama 4 Road.

The whole episode also had a particularly bad taste because it reminded me of previous problems with the repair service of BMW Millennium. I had an accident 2 years ago in about the same area (coolant / radiator etc). The car lasted 12 hours after I received it back from Millennium. It had to go back 3 times for additional repairs. Millennium had problems with fixed the board computer at the time (in the end I had to suggest that they check with BMW Thailand on what to do and then they got it fixed). My computer still wrongly shows that my rear brake is not working properly once in a while. I wonder, two years ago, did BMW Millennium do a proper job or is the current problem a result of poor workmanship at the time (since the area is almost the same).

Who audits the service quality and standards at BMW dealers and garages? Who audits whether the repairs carried out are done properly (and are necessary)? I am sure many customers feel quite powerless when it comes to these issues.

This is a special request. I need your help. The car is with BMW Millennium now. They want another 15,000 Baht for the repair, bring up the total to over 30,000 Baht for what was a small problem and for something that probably was caused by sloppiness during previous repairs.

I think it is ridiculous.

A little chat with the dealership's management is called for I'd say. You are entitled to a modicum of ' please explain '.

I agree with the Dr.

I cannot speak for BMW, as my car is a Toyota,

but at the Toyota Dealer they are extremely professional, with well trained staff. I would not expect less from the BMW dealer.

Go and see the manger, and ask for an explanation of every job carried out.

At least one if his staff should speak English, or take your own translator with you.

A new water pump for the m3 E36 would run you around 70$ on the cheap here in America. The water pump was a common problem for the e36 for any pre 1996 cars. BMW used a plastic propeller (sp) on the water pump. The plastic would give up, and in many cases destroy your engine. They say you need to have it changed out and upgraded to a metal alloy at around 60K miles. I have yet to change mine I am currently at 40K miles, I have the pump sitting on the shelf ready for a change out. I just have a difficult time, putting my car in the shop, and being without my beloved BMW.

So if your car is of this vintage, and your pump went out, you needed to have it changed out anyways.

If you want to know any information regarding BMWs there are a lot of BMW forums on the net that can help you out.

I use M3forum.com myself. Good luck to you.

Martin,Can you try and tell us what the garage says the problems are?As some of us are mechanically minded,If it was leaking water,the only time i could see it not starting would be if all the water had leaked and you cooked the engine,Or water got into the electrical system,i.e; Alternator,

Let us know and we can give you some advice on teh actual facts,Garages have a habit of conning people especially Johnny Farang in a foreign country :o