Visiones For Samui

I read that wealthy Tourism operators on Samui who have overexpended urge the Govt to build a 2. airport on the island in a bid to get more wealthy.

I TOTALLY AGREE. OF COURSE EVERYBODY WANT ANOTHER 1 OR 2 MILLIONS PEOPLE TO VISIT SAMUI.

So there have to be built more big hotels and resorts. Ok, but where??? On the beaches of course. But first they have to destroy these already built and make a lot of 20-30 floor buildings instead. At the same time cut all the shady coconut trees at the beach and fill up with parasolls and sunbeds. Remember lot of people are killed by coconuts falling into their heads. Ops, did I say the beaches. Silly of me, they will all be polluted and dirty, so 1000 new svimmingpools have to be built too.

The new airport must be big enought to handle Airbus 380 and Boing 747 so tourists can fly directely from Europe, China and Australia. At the same time there must be built a new highway around the Island to compensate the old Ring-road so more cars, trucks and motorbikes can make more air pollution and destroy the enviroment.

Why not make a tunnel between Lamai and MaeNam. And there is a must to build new concrete-roads up the hillsides to serve all the new bungalows up there. Then the water can have a free ride downhill in the rainy season. There is so fun to swim home after visiting the bars in Chaweng in night-time.

But what about the waste-water, the garbage and fresh-water problems? Mai bhen rai......

Just shut your eyes and these problems will disappear by it self. AND SO WILL I. To a smalll beautiful island, maybe in Malysia or Vietnam. Because Samui will turn in to be another Pattay, and who like to live there.

Have a nice day :D:D:o

I read that wealthy Tourism operators on Samui who have overexpended urge the Govt to build a 2. airport on the island in a bid to get more wealthy. I TOTALLY AGREE. OF COURSE EVERYBODY WANT ANOTHER 1 OR 2 MILLIONS PEOPLE TO VISIT SAMUI. So there have to be built more big hotels and resorts. Ok, but where??? On the beaches of course. But first they have to destroy these already built and make a lot of 20-30 floor buildings instead. At the same time cut all the shady coconut trees at the beach and fill up with parasolls and sunbeds. Remember lot of people are killed by coconuts falling into their heads. Ops, did I say the beaches. Silly of me, they will all be polluted and dirty, so 1000 new svimmingpools have to be built too. The new airport must be big enought to handle Airbus 380 and Boing 747 so tourists can fly directely from Europe, China and Australia. At the same time there must be built a new highway around the Island to compensate the old Ring-road so more cars, trucks and motorbikes can make more air pollution and destroy the enviroment. Why not make a tunnel between Lamai and MaeNam. And there is a must to build new concrete-roads up the hillsides to serve all the new bungalows up there. Then the water can have a free ride downhill in the rainy season. There is so fun to swim home after visiting the bars in Chaweng in night-time. But what about the waste-water, the garbage and fresh-water problems? Mai bhen rai...... Just shut your eyes and these problems will disappear by it self. AND SO WILL I. To a smalll beautiful island, maybe in Malysia or Vietnam. Because Samui will turn in to be another Pattay, and who like to live there. Have a nice day :D:D:o

...i like what you wrote here, but this island will get a very bad future for shure....sadly :D

...to destroy a paradise like samui is nobodys dream, but the time will show us,

how bad everything will go down more then before....

(infrastructure, road-quality, air-quality, water-quality, enviroment, taxi-network....)

maybe some people need also this on the island: another Tesco in Lamai, one Tesco

in Thong Krut and one in Bang Po, a new Carrefour Supermarket in Bang Rak and a

second BigC in Taling Nam, a new airport for Boeing 747 in Lipa Noi, another airport

in the mountains for small private (VIP's) airplanes like Cessna, Learjets. Together

with a new golf course and a big exclusive Hotel with 500 rooms.

Many new 5-Star Hotels around the island, a superhighway with 4 lanes over the

mountain to connect Hua Thannon with Maenam, a 2 lane Tunnel from Chaweng to Nathon,

a new harbour just for VIP boats in Lipa Noi, Helicopter-shuttleservice around the island,

a Train like BTS (Bangkok) around the island, and many many more......

ohh, i forgot.....the new taxirates (taximeter) from Chaweng to Lamai must go up to

1200bt in the day time and 1800bt in the night time :D ...or take the new helicopter service

for only 12'000bt from Nathon to Chaweng (need just 3minutes)

shure, some people here will have a lot more new ideas then me.....

(but, do we need these really?)

Chayaphum

I read that wealthy Tourism operators on Samui who have overexpended urge the Govt to build a 2. airport on the island in a bid to get more wealthy. I TOTALLY AGREE. OF COURSE EVERYBODY WANT ANOTHER 1 OR 2 MILLIONS PEOPLE TO VISIT SAMUI. So there have to be built more big hotels and resorts. Ok, but where??? On the beaches of course. But first they have to destroy these already built and make a lot of 20-30 floor buildings instead. At the same time cut all the shady coconut trees at the beach and fill up with parasolls and sunbeds. Remember lot of people are killed by coconuts falling into their heads. Ops, did I say the beaches. Silly of me, they will all be polluted and dirty, so 1000 new svimmingpools have to be built too. The new airport must be big enought to handle Airbus 380 and Boing 747 so tourists can fly directely from Europe, China and Australia. At the same time there must be built a new highway around the Island to compensate the old Ring-road so more cars, trucks and motorbikes can make more air pollution and destroy the enviroment. Why not make a tunnel between Lamai and MaeNam. And there is a must to build new concrete-roads up the hillsides to serve all the new bungalows up there. Then the water can have a free ride downhill in the rainy season. There is so fun to swim home after visiting the bars in Chaweng in night-time. But what about the waste-water, the garbage and fresh-water problems? Mai bhen rai...... Just shut your eyes and these problems will disappear by it self. AND SO WILL I. To a smalll beautiful island, maybe in Malysia or Vietnam. Because Samui will turn in to be another Pattay, and who like to live there. Have a nice day :burp::D:D

...i like what you wrote here, but this island will get a very bad future for shure....sadly B)

...to destroy a paradise like samui is nobodys dream, but the time will show us,

how bad everything will go down more then before....

(infrastructure, road-quality, air-quality, water-quality, enviroment, taxi-network....)

maybe some people need also this on the island: another Tesco in Lamai, one Tesco

in Thong Krut and one in Bang Po, a new Carrefour Supermarket in Bang Rak and a

second BigC in Taling Nam, a new airport for Boeing 747 in Lipa Noi, another airport

in the mountains for small private (VIP's) airplanes like Cessna, Learjets. Together

with a new golf course and a big exclusive Hotel with 500 rooms.

Many new 5-Star Hotels around the island, a superhighway with 4 lanes over the

mountain to connect Hua Thannon with Maenam, a 2 lane Tunnel from Chaweng to Nathon,

a new harbour just for VIP boats in Lipa Noi, Helicopter-shuttleservice around the island,

a Train like BTS (Bangkok) around the island, and many many more......

ohh, i forgot.....the new taxirates (taximeter) from Chaweng to Lamai must go up to

1200bt in the day time and 1800bt in the night time :D ...or take the new helicopter service

for only 12'000bt from Nathon to Chaweng (need just 3minutes)

shure, some people here will have a lot more new ideas then me.....

(but, do we need these really?)

Chayaphum

Thats great. Lets cut all the trees down on the island and replace them with self cleaning plastic ones, no more coconuts to fall and kill people, no more leaves to clog drains...wonderful. If the whole island is built from concrete, glass and stainless steel it'll be so much more easy to keep clean.

There could be large screens everywhere, showing views of paradise islands. Oh, how wonderful. :D:D:D:o:D

if they allow high rise buildings it will be great for samui ,you cant stop progress

High rise buildings - charming thought - just like the completely unused IT complex on the way to Lamai perhaps?

No you can't stop progress but you can control the direction that it takes which is the thought that responsible residents should be taking. Not all Spanish resorts have turned out like Torremolinos, not all Thai tourist destinations need turn out like Pattaya.

I read that wealthy Tourism operators on Samui who have overexpended urge the Govt to build a 2. airport on the island in a bid to get more wealthy.

I TOTALLY AGREE. OF COURSE EVERYBODY WANT ANOTHER 1 OR 2 MILLIONS PEOPLE TO VISIT SAMUI.

So there have to be built more big hotels and resorts. Ok, but where??? On the beaches of course. But first they have to destroy these already built and make a lot of 20-30 floor buildings instead. At the same time cut all the shady coconut trees at the beach and fill up with parasolls and sunbeds. Remember lot of people are killed by coconuts falling into their heads. Ops, did I say the beaches. Silly of me, they will all be polluted and dirty, so 1000 new svimmingpools have to be built too.

The new airport must be big enought to handle Airbus 380 and Boing 747 so tourists can fly directely from Europe, China and Australia. At the same time there must be built a new highway around the Island to compensate the old Ring-road so more cars, trucks and motorbikes can make more air pollution and destroy the enviroment.

Why not make a tunnel between Lamai and MaeNam. And there is a must to build new concrete-roads up the hillsides to serve all the new bungalows up there. Then the water can have a free ride downhill in the rainy season. There is so fun to swim home after visiting the bars in Chaweng in night-time.

But what about the waste-water, the garbage and fresh-water problems? Mai bhen rai......

Just shut your eyes and these problems will disappear by it self. AND SO WILL I. To a smalll beautiful island, maybe in Malysia or Vietnam. Because Samui will turn in to be another Pattay, and who like to live there.

Turn into another Pattaya??!?! God I HOPE so! That would be FANTASTIC!...then I would not have to fly there for holiday...but, sadly, I think you are being to optomistic. :D

You are absolutely right, there can only be so much development before this island becomes a lost dream.

So many posts here just seem to say that all this is inevitable and nothing can be done, so roll over and accept it.

I don't agree, look at the Seychelles, all development and tourist numbers are tightly controlled. I know it is a different culture there which recognises that the fauna and flora are not an expendible/eatable resource, but the beauty of the islands has been retained.

Shame that in Samui (as will shortly be Koh P) the love of a quick buck is the only game in town. I think that Barbados also recognised the way things were going back in the late 70's and put in stringent controls as did many other islands in the Caribbean . So, if it can be done elsewhere why not here? I suppose the easy answer would be to up-roots and go there, but given a modicum of good governance here it shouldn't be necessary. :D :D

I do actually believe that in Koh P people have seen what Samui has become and are making more efforts to develop more sensitively. Sure not everywhere, there is a beautiful half built high rise in Had Rin right now, but in conversations with developers and locals everyone does seem well aware of how the over development of Samui is not a positive thing. Of course I know that the buck will always win through here, but hope that that buck will be spent more wisely.

Also there is the fact that it is going to be an awful lot harder to have a road circumnavigating the island as Samui does which will slow the rate of development down. I live in hope anyway....don't burst my bubble!

delopment does ha few good and bad sides unfortunately it is promoted through the idea of making money.

once the is money to be made it is very hard to stop the "development"

to some of us coming from highly developed countries it would seem a shame to devastate Samui's natural beauty with concrete hotels while to the locals who wish to be more then coconut farmers or fisherman development bring a lifestyle that they wish for.

localswant to be as rich as the next guy, everyone aspires to be economicaly set for life. and try and explain to a local that its in his best intrest to keep his land on the beach for enviromental reasons and remain a low wage coconut picker instead of selling it to a farrang for multi million dollars.

in the Seychellesas reported by gator they compleately stopped devlopment by not permiting any new construction of new hotels. thus keeping the existing hotel owners very happy and some Locals who became extremly rich while other locals were denied the possibilty of hitting the jackpot.

it seems that nature preservation and enviromental friendliness is a concern made mainly by those who have allready financialy benefited from development.

....- just like the completely unused IT complex on the way to Lamai perhaps?

Don't worry these guy's make money, loads of it, almost for free, so they can afford horrible and empty buildings like this - they don't deserve any better!

And there are so much more, max. 30% occupied, if so... well let 'em build and build, will finally be to the advantage of the consumer!

The words "Investment", "Development", "Developer" and "Progress" are getting complete new dimensions these days, don't they? :o

Don't worry these guy's make money, loads of it, almost for free, so they can afford horrible and empty buildings like this - they don't deserve any better!

And there are so much more, max. 30% occupied, if so... well let 'em build and build, will finally be to the advantage of the consumer!

The words "Investment", "Development", "Developer" and "Progress" are getting complete new dimensions these days, don't they? :o

But what about us who have to deal with the eyesore? I couldn't care less if they are making money..in fact I hope they don't and they die destitute in some boarding house somewhere (oops, it's all going a bit Dickensian).

What is the deal with that huge bit of half developed land on the beach side not far from the IT centre? It has some corroding concrete pillars with the intended name of the resort on (A something I think). Is work going on there?

But what about us who have to deal with the eyesore? I couldn't care less if they are making money..in fact I hope they don't and they die destitute in some boarding house somewhere (oops, it's all going a bit Dickensian).

What is the deal with that huge bit of half developed land on the beach side not far from the IT centre? It has some corroding concrete pillars with the intended name of the resort on (A something I think). Is work going on there?

It's called ADEN and it's been derelict since i've been on Samui (5 years) The land appaers up for sale. It was probably started as a resort by a wealthy local Thai. He called it ADEN thinking it was EDEN, as in garden of....................... :D Edited by Eric1949

....called it ADEN thinking it was EDEN, as in garden of....................... :o

Could refer to:Gulf of Aden...

The gulf runs in a west-east direction, between Yemen and Somalia, meeting Djibouti at the western end. It is about 900 km long, and 500 km wide..

What would be the consequence to be taken? Shoot 'em all?

The Government of Bali introduced measurements to regulate "development", to what avail...?

Yeah th Seychelles they will be gone not too long anyway, so it doesn't hurt to "keep them naturally"! Because it doesn't make sense to invest big bucks, cause they'll be gone too, soon!

Aden from my understanding was owned by a gay gentleman who was shot by his lover. It sat derelict for quite a few years. It has since been sold & developed.Building is still progressing.

Aden from my understanding was owned by a gay gentleman who was shot by his lover. It sat derelict for quite a few years. It has since been sold & developed.Building is still progressing.

Um!!! I wonder if it's going to be a resort, we could really do with another one!!!!!!!!! :o

• 2 years later...

Just stumbled across this psot, 2 years ago and nothing has changed, "development" seems to have increased in fact!

Well, yes there was "Green Day Samui"...

And the "IT-Glass Palace" in Lamai even got a pendant now which remains empty...