Using Cellphone For Internet Connection

garro

I have a 3110 and use EDGE, and it is terrible. That may well be due to my location in the Sattahip hills - I wish I knew for sure, but it really sucks. Not so much download speeds but the constant start and stop of downloads whether it be web pages or files. It reminds me very much of a landline dialup connection 15 years ago.

Peter

Thanks for the info - perhaps I'll cross the Nokia 3110 off my potential shopping list then!

I've started another topic here asking for ratings of EDGE-enabled phones used as modems which will hopefully get some responses.

With regards to your experience PMK, you might be able to run a benchmark test on your own phone to isolate the problem - i.e. determine if your EDGE problems lie with the phone itself, the reception, the network or from some other part of the chain like connection to the computer, software drivers etc.

Why not test the phone standalone - e.g. locate and download some biggish files on the net (2 or 3 meg) and download them to your phone memory 1) in a town with known good coverage and 2) at home and time the download in both cases. If you know someone with an EDGE SIM on a different network, you might be able to borrow it for a bit to see how that compares. At least then you'll have some metrics to go by.

It's really hard to tell. I have a friend out here in the boonies and he is thrilled with his 3110 Classic Edge performance. I had a Nokia N80 and was happy with it but just bought an E51 because I wanted the latest state of the art. I find the E51 to be better and faster than the old N80.

• 4 months later...

Hello people,any update on recomendations on what phone to buy for grps/edge internet connection with laptop?

I've been looking at the Nokia 3110 classic as recoomended by the shops i visited.Is it up to the job as far as speed,performance goes?I only want to buy a new phone for this purpose so i want to get it right.

Just out of curiosity can anyone tell me why the models:nokia 1680 classic (2,220 baht),& nokia 2630 (3,370 baht),are not recommended considering they are listed as gprs/edge capable?Something to do with the data?

I know you get what you pay for,but it kinda got lost in translation in the shop.

Cheers all.

Folks, if your EDGE is crap you should try with the other operator. These things are quite local, etc. Plus there are differences between the operators. So if you AIS is crap, check out DTAC or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Perhaps monty or one of you guys can help me with a question.

After an exhausted check out on the websites I'm undecided to choose between the 3 Nokia models below to use as an internet connection on my PC (or laptop), concerning speed and price as well.

3110 Classic – GPRS Class 10 – 32/48 kbps, Edge Class 10 – 236,8 kbps (price around 3.500)

6500 Classic – GPRS Class 32 – 53,6 kbps, Edge Class 32 – 296/117,6 kbps (around 8,500 baht)

N51 – same specifications (GPRS/EDGE) as the 6500 but about 1,000 baht more expensive

My question is:

Attend on the significant price' difference of the 3110 from the others and having in mind that I'll use it ONLY for Internet connection, does the Internet speed between them is too much different for better?

Thanks in advance,

RRoland

The only way you'd notice the difference is if you were in a country that could actually max the EDGE speeds. Sadly, the best that I ever saw EDGE burst to was 31 KB/s (248 kb/s). And the key word was 'burst'. Would never sustain that speed, although mid teens (13-17 KB/s...104-136 kb/s) is what you could probably sustain on a download.

• 2 months later...

I have a macbook and I need a descent internet connection in a remote Chiang Rai village. I have heard about the USB EDGE internet stick dongle. Do these work with OSX Tiger? Or is it better for any reason to use a phone as a modem like you are discussing here? Can someone explain the differences or advantages between these 2 options? Thanks for any info!

Ok guys, well I ordered a Motorola Razr v3i from our local shop. I had a look at the Nokia 5300 but the shopkeeper talked me out of it. So so I just sync it with the Mac tomorrow via isync and its ready to go? I tried to search the internet for answers but I'm more confused than ever.

Hi garro:

Does the Motorola Razr V3i you've ordered have EDGE data capability?

No, I don't think that it has.

I know its subjective but mine and others experience with motorola is not good and the razor is a very old phone. I have had much better results with Nokia or Sony Ericson.

As mentioned before, the speed of connection is about the connection and not whether you connect via usb or bluetooth.