Who Is Top Gear's "the Stig"?

Hi there,

As a reader of this forum who is not a pick up truck owner, I feel a little left out of the majority of posts. Personally, rear suspension coils and drum brakes don't really do it for me either. I am a car enthusiast who has lived in Thailand, hence I believe my question to be one worthy of this wonderful forum:

Just who is BBC Top Gear's "the stig"????

i cant really see how your question is related to thailand in any way unless you think stig is from thailand so the mods might ban you :D:D

but in answer to your question.....i could tell you....... but would then have to kill you. :o

i suggest a google search or a more specific motoring forum :D

Wow, thats a blast from the past.

I actually had a few beers with Mr C, Hammy, and the Stig at a corporate do about 3 years ago.

Clarkson really is as funny as he appears on tv, and most of what he does is adlibbed. But he is 6'6 and about 20 stones, so when he threatened me about revealing the Stig's identity, I took it seriously.

:o

when hammond has his accident last year the health and safety report indicated that an australian touring car driver, whose name escapes me, was present. It is believed that has is the current stig, although there have been a couple of other racing drivers who have played the stig, namely perry macarthy and julian bailey.

Wow, thats a blast from the past.

I actually had a few beers with Mr C, Hammy, and the Stig at a corporate do about 3 years ago.

Clarkson really is as funny as he appears on tv, and most of what he does is adlibbed. But he is 6'6 and about 20 stones, so when he threatened me about revealing the Stig's identity, I took it seriously.

i think the stig has changed over the years that top gear has been on but i presume he wants the latest stig.

your not really scared of that clarkson are you.....or did he threaten to take you to the barber/hairdresser he uses :D ......im pretty sure he wont find you in thailand.

tell him who stig is and then can close this thread :D

Ben Collins is believed to be Top Gear's tame racing driver "The Stig". The evidence is given on many Top Gear fansites is the report from The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in the UK: http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/releases/richardhammond.pdf

This report is regrding the crash of Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond "The Hamster" when he went for the UK land speed record driving a jetcar known as the Vampire.

Exerpt from report oft sited at the evidence that Ben Collins is "The Stig"

Visit by Ben Collins (BC) to PTLE

37. The preliminary arrangements for the event had been made at arm's length, with the result that, as the date of the Elvington shoot approached, no-one from Top Gear had actually met PTLE's principals or seen their jet cars. The jet car feature was considered to be sufficiently unusual and hazardous for GW to ask BC, who worked closely with Top Gear as a high performance driver and consultant, to go and see PTLE and Vampire, and to prepare a briefing for RH. It was felt that, with his extensive motor sport experience, he would be able to confirm PTLE's competence and the quality of their equipment, and be able to see through them if they were not genuine. (This was a significant step because Top Gear had not used BC in this way before.)

38. BC visited PTLE's premises near Northampton on Monday 18th June. He seems to have been convinced of their bona fides. He telephoned PD to confirm his conclusions and prepared a briefing paper that he e-mailed to GW. This described Vampire's controls and tried to prepare RH for the experience of driving the jet car."

Top Gear rules, my question is if UBC True carries BBC Prime/Entertainment so I can get my fix.

You can't claim to be a true petrolhead and not love TOP GEAR whether you live in Thailand or not.

GunnyD

Edited by gunnyd

Ever notice that the Stig doesn't talk. My American accent would be a dead give-away. And considering Clarkson's love for all things American, could you imagine the fallout?

For the Top Gear prospective on America you should watch Top Gear Series 9 Episode 3 where JC, The Hamster, and Capt. Slow go on a road trip through the Deep South from Miami, Florida to New Orleans, Louisiana.

Dave, you wouldn't happen to be "The American Stig" from this episode, are you? :D

For TG fans I recommend you check out http://www.finalgear.com/

GunnyD

Ever notice that the Stig doesn't talk. My American accent would be a dead give-away. And considering Clarkson's love for all things American, could you imagine the fallout?

For the Top Gear prospective on America you should watch Top Gear Series 9 Episode 3 where JC, The Hamster, and Capt. Slow go on a road trip through the Deep South from Miami, Florida to New Orleans, Louisiana.

Dave, you wouldn't happen to be "The American Stig" from this episode, are you? :D

For TG fans I recommend you check out http://www.finalgear.com/

GunnyD

That was actually a Scot they imported. And he didn't speak because he was so inebriated that even those that can understand dry Scots wouldn't have been able to piece together his rantings. And if you don't believe he was drunk, take a look at what happened after he was done with his Dodge truck run around the track.

**disclaimer**

Usually I love the Scottish people, but any group that would invent a game that wastes so much pasture land deserves to be ridiculed now and again.

The Stig is a Thai bus driver, obvious to me.

Probably and sadly true!

But as all should know the origin of the name is most certainly the top Swedish rally driver (retired), Stig Blomqvist, who has always been a very silent and rather enigmatic chap. I personally suspect that he was the original 'Stig' and successors who wished to remain anonmous just adopted the name.

He seldom crashed and if he did he never EVER fled the scene. Just waited for a lift to the nearest bar and got paralytic before reporting to his team manager.

Ah. A true star!

The origin of the 'Stig' as used on Top Gear is as the name of a first year boy at Repton public school in Derbyshire - a school to which both Clarkson and Andy Wilman (the producer) went in the 70s.

As an addendum:

The identity of the first Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2003. McCarthy is a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams, and also tested for BMW F1.

He was the "Black Stig" featured in series one and two of Top Gear

This Stig was used for the first two series of the show. It was then "killed off" at the start of the third series when he was shown driving a modified Jaguar XJ-S off the flight deck of HMS Invincible during a stunt and landing in the sea. In episode 2 of series 3 the "White Stig" is first revealed.

It is widely believed by Top Gear fans that Perry McCarthy was sacked after revealing the he was "The Stig"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

The identity of the first Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2003. McCarthy is a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams, and also tested for BMW F1.

Ben Collins does seem the likely current stig but other names such as Julian Bailey have been claimed.. Basically multiple drivers have been 'The Stig'..