Gasahol

PaulAllen

Hi :o

Lots of mis-information out there. ANY four-stroke engine can use Gasohol, carburetor or injection. Critical parts are fuel lines, fuel filter (if any) and carburetor float-bowl seals - these may have to be replaced by ones that can withstand ethanol.

However TWO-STROKES should NOT use Gasohol! Because the ethanol dissolves the two-stroke oil ("auto-lube") and also it can destroy or damage the shaft seals - as two-stroke engines lubricate the main bearing, upper bearing, crank shaft side bearings and piston ring via the 2T which is either pre-mixed or injected into the fuel inlet the fuel itself gets in touch with all these parts to do the lubricating - with Gasohol, there is none or too little oil getting there and engine damage is the result. All manufacturers of two-stroke engines warn of using the stuff.

Also that list which is floating around (said pdf file) is wrong in listing the Yamaha RXZ and various other two-strokes as "Gasohol-compatible", they are NOT.

Best regards.....

Thanh

ANY four-stroke engine can use Gasohol. True but some run crap on it, some have starting problems, especially if left a week or so. my advice. only use it if the manufacturer allows it. not a petrol company and especially not the Thai government. both of whom have published misinformation.

Allan

The other day I talked with my local bike shop owner and he told me that at a seminar at honda he had asked if the small honda bikes were gasohol ready.The answer he got was,NO but the thai government tells us to say YES.

don't know about which smaller bikes in thailand have fuel injection but I am aware that one of the honda waves has.

Is that "one of my own personal honda waves that i rebuilded myself" goldfish? I´ve had alot of honda waves in different age models both "R" and "S", and none of them have had fuel injection.

Does Honda wave come with fuel injection for real?? :o:D .

don't know about which smaller bikes in thailand have fuel injection but I am aware that one of the honda waves has.

Is that "one of my own personal honda waves that i rebuilded myself" goldfish? I´ve had alot of honda waves in different age models both "R" and "S", and none of them have had fuel injection.

Hi :D

Yes, they do indeed. Honda Wave-i 125 is available since several years, this model is also sold in Europe (the Thai-made one none less!) as "Honda Innova". Honda also sells the "CZ-i" and the latest is the Honda Wave-i 110 which has the same engine as the CZ-i. All of them use the PGM-FI fuel injection system and are very economical bikes.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi :D

Yes, they do indeed. Honda Wave-i 125 is available since several years, this model is also sold in Europe (the Thai-made one none less!) as "Honda Innova". Honda also sells the "CZ-i" and the latest is the Honda Wave-i 110 which has the same engine as the CZ-i. All of them use the PGM-FI fuel injection system and are very economical bikes.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Nice info, thx. Didnt know they did so many different engines for the same bike, that is usualy not cost effective for the manufactor. Why dont they put the injection engine in all waves, instead of keeping the old carb engine in most of them. Very strange. :D .

Nice info, thx. Didnt know they did so many different engines for the same bike, that is usualy not cost effective for the manufactor. Why dont they put the injection engine in all waves, instead of keeping the old carb engine in most of them. Very strange

Getting rid of old stock and parts and bikes. sometimes it can take a year or more to clear. dont forget Honda have contracts with parts suppliers that have to be honored.

Honda are also at the forefront at lobbying the Thai goverment so that all new bikes after a certain date will have to have FI.

Allan

Hi :o

These engines are more or less all the same - based on the one from the Super Cub. Waves are available in 100, 110 and 125 cc, where the displacement is pretty much the only difference between the engines. The 110 and 125 are also available with fuel injection, again the actual engine is exactly the same and can be reverted to run on carb, as many Innova-owners in Europe do to get more power.

Another reason to offer the same bike with different engine is "price" - the 100 cost less than the 110 which itself cost less than the 125, and the carburetor ones cost less than the FI ones. For many people the 100 cc is enough so they can still get a "Wave" for cheap while others want more power and/or better economics so they go for the 110 or 125 or the FI models for which they need to pay more.

Same could be asked for just about every car model (not necessarily in Thailand though), as an example my old Volvo 460 which in Thailand was only available with 2.0 petrol - in Europe that same one car sold with 1.4, 1.6, 1.6 Diesel, 1.7 Turbo, 1.8 and 2.0. Why? Because some are willing to pay more to get more power :D

Back to the Gasohol question - my boyfriend's mum in Chiang Mai has a Wave 100, some 5-ish years old, regular carburetor one - that runs just fine on 95 Gasohol, has actually MORE power than with 95 petrol and also less fuel consumption. No BS, i ride it every time i'm there. The only downside is that in the morning one needs to kick two times to get it running, while on petrol it starts first kick.

Best regards.....

Thanh