Thaksin Offered Finance Role

mrt273nva

Thaksin offered finance role

source: Bkk Post Feb 29 2008

Thaksin Shinawatra was offered a job as economic adviser by Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee yesterday at the same time as the former prime minister vowed to stay out of politics.

The secretary-general of the People Power party (PPP) said he would seek out Mr Thaksin's opinions on economic issues especially the proposed scrapping of the 30% reserve requirement on foreign inflows imposed by the Bank of Thailand in December 2006.

Mr Thaksin has not responded to Mr Surapong's offer. "I have yet to make an appointment [with Mr Thaksin]," said Mr Surapong, who described the ex-premier as an economic expert.

"And if time permits, I will ask for his opinions about the 30% reserve requirement before a decision is made," he said.

Mr Surapong said their talks were unlikely to violate the five-year political ban on Mr Thaksin as the adviser's job was not a political post.

Mr Thaksin was banned from politics for five years after the Constitution Tribunal last year dissolved the Thai Rak Thai party. Mr Thaksin was among the 111 party executives held to account for electoral fraud.

Mr Surapong also insisted that the government under the leadership of Samak Sundaravej would not be a mere puppet of Mr Thaksin.

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra kneels to perform a `krab paendin', paying respect to the motherland, after emerging from the airport passenger terminal.

"Mr Thaksin will not pull the strings. I'd like you to observe Mr Samak's work and let time be the judge of Mr Samak and other cabinet members," he said.

On the day the proposal was floated, Mr Thaksin reiterated his intention to turn his back on politics. He would spend his time fighting charges brought against him.

"I want to stress that I don't want to get involved in politics any more. I want to live here in Thailand again as a Thai citizen after spending all those months as a globe-trotting adventurer," he told journalists.

"I had to return to prove my innocence and restore my reputation, which has been unfairly tarnished," he said. "The day I went abroad on a foreign mission, I was prime minister. But today I am back, and I have to face allegations. I will have to have my fingerprints taken like a suspect," he said.

The proposed advisory role has cast doubts on Mr Thaksin's pledge that he will retire from politics and analysts raised concerns about him becoming a prime minister behind the curtains.

Somjai Phagaphasvivat, a political analyst at Thammasat University, said if Mr Thaksin was made adviser, the country would have two prime ministers working in parallel.

"We will have two kinds of prime minister - one who has accountability but no power which is Mr Samak, and the other who has power but no accountability which is Mr Thaksin," Mr Somjai said.

He said perhaps Mr Samak's only upper hand over government members is his power to dissolve parliament. But once he has done that, Mr Samak will have completely lost control of the PPP, Mr Somjai added.

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a Chulalongkorn University (CU) lecturer on political science, said the finance minister's plan to talk to Mr Thaksin about the currency controls was an ominous sign.

"The 30% reserve requirement is a sensitive issue. This will be an interference in the central bank's handling of the economy, which can't be good."

Panithan Wattanayakorn, also a CU political scientist, warned of political conflicts if Mr Thaksin failed to honour his word.

"A lot of people do not believe he will keep out of politics. It depends on him whether or not he really wants to end his political role," he said.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy and a member of the People's Alliance for Democracy, did not believe Mr Thaksin would wash his hands of politics.

Mr Thaksin's past behaviour suggested otherwise, he said, adding Mr Thaksin was believed to have exerted power over Mr Samak and the PPP in several matters including the cabinet line-up. "He may exert power to influence the cases [of power abuse and corruption against him]. Mr Samak must show that there is only one prime minister here," said Mr Suriyasai.

Mr Thaksin was greeted by thousands of supporters at Suvarnabhumi airport before being whisked away to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to face charges of corruption and abuse of power over the Ratchadaphisek land deal.

He was released on bail of eight million baht and ordered not to leave the country without the court's permission. Mr Thaksin then headed to the Office of the Attorney-General to hear charges involving concealment of shares in SC Asset Corporation. He was freed on bail of one million baht and again told not to leave the country.

Thaksin Shinawatra was offered a job as economic adviser by Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee ...

Does he (Surapong) want to know how to screw the country out of 70 billion baht too? :o

Thaksin Shinawatra was offered a job as economic adviser by Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee ...

Does he (Surapong) want to know how to screw the country out of 70 billion baht too? :o

The fundamental reason for being in politics is to look after your interests, noone has more need of this than the ex-premier, whether it is visable or not, he will be in politics. Remember 'Treason never succeeds, for if it does who dares call it treason'.

The fundamental reason for being in politics is to look after your interests, noone has more need of this than the ex-premier, whether it is visable or not, he will be in politics. Remember 'Treason never succeeds, for if it does who dares call it treason'.

As you can see, the pressure is already mounting for the Taxsinner to take some form of political role. It's too irrestible for him, so he won't refuse. Then, when Samak is eventually pressured -- and as night follows day, he will be -- to immediately overturn the ban on Taxsinner and his 110 TRT partners in crime, guess who will make a comeback to the political arena proper? Again, he won't be able to resist it, such is his pathetic ego. Expect all hel_l to break loose, especially if in the meantime all charges against him are dropped. May 1992 will pale into comparison.

Witawat

If you were a true 'social reformer' how could you achieve anything without a great deal of money? Mamon is the god, as it is everywhere, even if you did not worship Mamon you are aware that without money you have no power so could not reform a thing. Who hates the ex-premier and why? Who love him and why?

-------------------------

That sounds like an "extremely negative view" of a Thai person... :D

Does he (Surapong) want to know how to screw the country out of 70 billion baht too? :D

-------------------------

That sounds like an "extremely negative view" of a Thai person... :D

Which one - Thaksin or Surapong? :o

It might indicate he wants to by taking lessons and directions from someone who's already done it. :D

It might indicate he wants to by taking lessons and directions from someone who's already done it. :D

Er.. exactly! :D

Thaksin as an economic advisor :o

That's like putting Bush in spelling bee.

..and that is like calling you smart...and where did you go to University...where did you graduate in class...and where did PRESIDENT Bush go to school...and where did he graduate in class......

"..and that is like calling you smart...and where did you go to University...where did you graduate in class...and where did PRESIDENT Bush go to school...and where did he graduate in class"

I didn't say Bush was stupid, even though is politics are. I guess Bush going to Havard and Yale makes him pretty smart. :o Shows your intelligence! :D

Edited by Thaiboxer