Do You Stay In Your Condo If Hurricane Shop Bkk

kwiz117

Yes..this is to cool down all of you.. but this really came to my mind after seeing the devastation in haiti..

For me...I am not sure the infrastructure in Thailand and Buildings can hold into such a force.. Also I can not think of a place to take shelter.. :o

What about you guys..?

thailands not in a hurricane zone.

thats why the buildings wont withstand it and thats why theres no shelters for such an event.

so what would i do....nothing

cos it aint gonna happen.

:o

Lets not forget Typhoon (Hurricane) Gay 1n 1989, a big surprise for Thailand, and extremely devastating. I was in the middle of it...

thats why the buildings wont withstand it and thats why theres no shelters for such an event.

Lets not forget Typhoon (Hurricane) Gay 1n 1989, a big surprise for Thailand, and extremely devestating. I was in the middle of it...

I thought Typhoons were in that part of the world they spin opposite way of a hurricane right ajarn??

:D

Lets not forget Typhoon (Hurricane) Gay 1n 1989, a big surprise for Thailand, and extremely devastating. I was in the middle of it...

I thought Typhoons were in that part of the world they spin opposite way of a hurricane right ajarn??

The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for a strong "tropical cyclone". A tropical cyclone is the generic term for a non-frontal synoptic scale low-pressure system over tropical or sub-tropical waters with organized convection (i.e. thunderstorm activity) and definite cyclonic surface wind circulation.

Wind direction is counterclockwise (west to east) in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise (east to west) in the Southern Hemisphere

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hurricane1.htm

More info here. http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html

And thanks to google for making me sound like an expert :o

Edited by Ajarn

CNN once mentionned typhoons was what they're called when they're in the pacific, hurricanse when they're in the Atlantic.

And for kwiz117 ... you probably also saw "The day after tomorrow". Great movie, but ... it's a movie .. We don't have hurrricanes (or typhoons) here.

Thailand only got a slash of Gay, not the full whack.

And for kwiz117 ... you probably also saw "The day after tomorrow". Great movie, but ... it's a movie .. We don't have hurrricanes (or typhoons) here.

I saw a Thai Movie.. It has happened in South of Thailand. My wife too said it was from a true story..

From the day Ivon started roaming around Florida..I can not sleep here in Thailand.. :o

No..it's not a joke..what would you really do? What are our options here.. ?

Tell that to the thousands killed, the overturned drilling platforms, the hundreds of ships lost, the incredible devastation from the flooding... :o

Typhoon Gay formed in the Gulf of Thailand. The islands and Eastern coastal areas received it's full force...Not just a 'slash'.

https://www.cnmoc.navy.mil/nmosw/thh_nc/tha.../text/sect7.htm

"Typhoon Gay is unique because it is the only tropical cyclone on record to bring typhoon strength winds to Thailand"

I saw a Thai Movie.. It has happened in South of Thailand. My wife too said it was from a true story..

From the day Ivon started roaming around Florida..I can not sleep here in Thailand.. :o

No..it's not a joke..what would you really do? What are our options here.. ?

Kwiz Ahh thailand is quite a distance from florida :D I live in florida and Ivan was the worse I was lucky because no damage to the house but newer constructed houses fair better than the older ones, state of florida has building codes that must be followed.

ok ok...id hire a JCB. did a big <deleted>@k off hole and bury a 20ft shipping container in the hole.cut an acess panel in the top and hey presto a shelter.

make sure the container is water proof.

fill her up with supplies and about 10 great looking girls and wait it out.

no radio or tv as you would want the experience to last as long as possible.

"cant get out yet..tooooo dangerous"

those hurricane can last for weeks at a time i hear :o:D:D

I would tie myself to a metal bar like wot they did in Twister.

A Heavy Metal bar, I assume? :D

Ajarn regardless the bar in twister went into the ground that's why they were safe. :D

Maybe if I had typed, 'Heavy Metal Bar'...? :D

look at his avatar...think of the music....bar....get it? :o

Ajarn,

You didn't happen to be in Pathiu when Gay made landfall...were you?

I was there a couple of weeks after the event. Really devastating.

I would tie myself to a metal bar like wot they did in Twister.

A Heavy Metal bar, I assume? :D

Ajarn regardless the bar in twister went into the ground that's why they were safe. :D

Maybe if I had typed, 'Heavy Metal Bar'...? :D

look at his avatar...think of the music....bar....get it? :o

OHHHH I get it I need to stop looking at girlie pictures on the internet :D making me get confused so easily :wub:

Ajarn,

Yeah, it was amazing. Never had that impact on me when I'd seen it on TV before...

I was living here...samuihouse1.jpg

On the beach, northeast corner of the island (I think SBK said she was on Kho Tao, which was closer than Samui a bit and had damage similar in type to Chumpom, where most of the lives were lost) I had the high winds, but my hut was partly blocked by a short rock outcropping into the water next to me. At times, it felt like my breathe was being sucked out, because of the vacuum effect ... There was no warning broadcast by the government until it was too late for many... It was 2 weeks before we could leave the island and travel anywhere. Funny though, everyone except the farangs seemed to take everything in stride... :o

Oh, and here's a shot out my side window that evening....Before the wind really picked up.

typhoon.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn,

Yeah, it was amazing. Never had that impact on me when I'd seen it on TV before...

On the beach, northeast corner of the island (I think SBK said she was on Kho Tao, which was closer than Samui a bit and had damage similar in type to Chumpom, where most of the lives were lost) I had the high winds, but my hut was partly blocked by a short rock outcropping into the water next to me. At times, it felt like my breathe was being sucked out, because of the vacuum effect ... There was no warning broadcast by the government until it was too late for many... It was 2 weeks before we could leave the island and travel anywhere. Funny though, everyone except the farangs seemed to take everything in stride... :o

Did you have ten girls in there?? according to splitlid it is absolutely vital :D

Ajarn,

I

Did you have ten girls in there?? according to splitlid it is absolutely vital :D

I had an Aussie GF with me for a few months, but I was looking for peace and quiet after that, not patpong-on-the-beach :D

10 girls in there!!!!!!!

would have been really tight!!!

maybe i should change it to a 10 ft container

looking for peace and quiet with an ozzie girl 55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

:D:o:D

Ajarn,

Oh, and here's a shot out my side window that evening....

typhoon.jpg

Amazing!!! That would have been one scary night. Not sure how the hut you were staying in survived.

All around Chumpol and especially Pathiu where the eye made landfall, trees were pretty much flattened. What was interesting to note was that close to the eye, trees were toppled in a circular pattern and not necessary in one direction. I heard from first hand account that the sea would inuadate low lying areas washing house and homes along the people in it.

Lots of devastation but nothing more so than the promise help by the government which never arrived...or arrived to the wrong hands. :D