Need A Mini Laptop

ZZZ

I'm looking to buy a mini LapTop. Size as a pocket book, long battery life, running XP, preferable solid state hard drive, WiFi, Bluetooth.

Any suggestions of make and model that could fit the bill??

I'm looking to buy a mini LapTop. Size as a pocket book, long battery life, running XP, preferable solid state hard drive, WiFi, Bluetooth.

I have ASUS R2H umpc, works well, plugin keyboard, about size of 1/2 A4, has all features you ask for, mine is over 1 yr old, maybe is updated now, cost about 2000 Sing $ then

http://sg.asus.com/

I love my Asus EeePC.

Small, all solid state, does everything including good video.

Windows was installed for free and all out the door

at 12Kbaht including the 7% VAT.

Edited by paulfr

Depends what you need it for, the only laptop I know of the size of a pocketbook with an SSD is indeed the eeepc.

The eeepc has IMO only 1 drawback, which is the low screen resolution (800X480).

On all other point sit's a winner! 900 Mhz celeron will do pretty much everything you throw at it including playing video.

The 4 GB ssd is no problem, an 8GB SD card can be plugged in for extra storage, as well as an external drive on one of the 3 USB ports.

And the price is right! It also seems to have the sturdy Asus build...

Thanks for the input.

I will be in Singapore in a few days and have a "live" look at these. Leaning towards the ASUS but need to see what the screen is like. I would like to be able to use it out doors but if the screen is bad this may not be workable.

The Fujitsu looks nice and it seems like the screen is better. Pretty good battery life as well even if using normal hard drive. But not sure if it's worth nearly twice as much as the ASUS, it will only be something I use occasionally anyway.

With a newer Bios update its possible to get the eee screen very bright so can be used outdoors easily, however it will naturally use up the battery quicker than on a less bright setting.

Ok its a small screen but unlike many of the laptops sold now which have - ultra bright screens which I find virtually unusable in a car here in daylight the eee is fine.

I very pleased with mine, install net stumbler and find loads of free internet access points in towns where you'd never imagine a wireless network exists!

Also Weighing less than a kilo with the charger you can easily carry it around. Bluetooth dongle is reqd. for use with your phone but they only cost 300 baht or so now.

Thanks for the input.

I will be in Singapore in a few days and have a "live" look at these. Leaning towards the ASUS but need to see what the screen is like. I would like to be able to use it out doors but if the screen is bad this may not be workable.

The Fujitsu looks nice and it seems like the screen is better. Pretty good battery life as well even if using normal hard drive. But not sure if it's worth nearly twice as much as the ASUS, it will only be something I use occasionally anyway.

I was recently shopping around for UMPC as well. I liked the Fujitsu u810 a lot, but the processor is not the best. The transreflective screen is pretty cool, it's rare to have a PC usuable in broad daylight.

The Sony UX series is the most powerful in terms processor (Core Solo and Core 2 Solo available), but the keyboard was not to my liking and it's overpriced.

I like the specs of the Asus EEE but the screen is worthless. Very low resolution and washed out colors on the one I tried. With only 480 pixels of vertcal real estate, there's a fair amount of apps that I couldn't even use on it.

The HP Compaq 2133 shown below is coming and looks very nice. There's rumors going around that $500 Linux version will be offered, but that seems low to me.

Dynamism.com is a fun place to look around and see what's out there, but their prices are high.

hp-umpc-2133.jpg

Edited by Veazer

Found another one, HTC Shift.

Similar to ASUS but have 40Gb hard disk. Another nice feature is the sim card slot, supports HSDPA/GSM/GPRS/EDGE.

The problems with this unit is it runs Vista so could be slow, also no WiFi and only 2 hours battery life.

Will put the Compaq on the list of things to look at.

I have a Vaio TZ and although its nice I do not use it much - have a Shuttle desktop at home and a Thinkpad at work.

If the Asus Ee had been out last July I would have bought that for 600 SGD instead of the 3000+ SGD for the Vaio.

If you are in Singapore they have them in Sim Lim on the 3rd floor on the left if you are facing Bukit Timah road or come out of the lifts and turn left

I have a Vaio TZ and although its nice I do not use it much - have a Shuttle desktop at home and a Thinkpad at work.

If the Asus Ee had been out last July I would have bought that for 600 SGD instead of the 3000+ SGD for the Vaio.

If you are in Singapore they have them in Sim Lim on the 3rd floor on the left if you are facing Bukit Timah road or come out of the lifts and turn left

Thanks for the info, leaning towards the ASUS at the moment but have to have a "live" look at it first. Like you say, whatever you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow and a better cheaper version will be available :o

Thanks for the info, leaning towards the ASUS at the moment but have to have a "live" look at it first. Like you say, whatever you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow and a better cheaper version will be available mad.gif

Unfortunately very true :o

Especially with the eeepc, since supposedly there is a version in the pipeline with a higher res screen, which if not too much more expensive would be an awesome buy!

Thanks for the info, leaning towards the ASUS at the moment but have to have a "live" look at it first. Like you say, whatever you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow and a better cheaper version will be available mad.gif

Unfortunately very true :o

Especially with the eeepc, since supposedly there is a version in the pipeline with a higher res screen, which if not too much more expensive would be an awesome buy!

the new model was presented day before yesterday at a fair in Germany. slightly bigger, 8.9" screen, resolution 1024x600, 1gb memory, flash drive 12gb, price €UR 399.-

http://www.chip.de/ii/grossbild_v2.html?gr...r_31034925.html

Pretty big hike in price though, roughly 20,000 Baht.

For that money you can get a much more capable regular notebook, so the only advantage remaining is the extremely small size/weight (and the ssd)!

I think they better offered the same specs as the current models only with the bigger screen, that 12GB SSD is probably for a big part responsible for the price hike, and the SSD size is the one thing not too many people complained about!

---edit---

Bloody he_ll Naam, they just announced this a few hours ago, and will only go official today, you living with your head inside your PC :D:o:D

BTW, the eeepc has been adopted in impressive numbers by saturation divers!

These blokes go down quite deep and stay there for long times (like weeks). They quickly found out that the eeepc works perfectly under high atmospheric pressure.

Because conventional hard drives are sealed airtight, they just implode when subjected to high pressures! No such problem with the eeeps's SSD...

the new model was presented day before yesterday at a fair in Germany. slightly bigger, 8.9" screen, resolution 1024x600, 1gb memory, flash drive 12gb, price €UR 399.-

Thats typical, I need to buy one next week and probably no chance of this being available in Singapore by then. Will just have to buy something workable and wait until the dust settles, buy a new one and bin the old :o

• 1 year later...

S30: Mini latop

Contact person: helen long

E-mail: [email protected]

process

CPU: intel aton N270 1.6G

CHIPSET: intel 945GSE

DISPLAY: 10.2"LCD 1024*600

HARD DISK: SATA 160G

RAM: 1G

BIOS: AMI & EC

Graphicintergrated realtek 64MB

Audiobuilt in speakers 5.1CH