Where Can I Get A Driver's License?

Basecamp

I used to have a US drivers license but just lost it cause it expired the day my US green card expired. I am no longer a US resident (but that's another story). So I don't have a green card and am no longer a US resident.

I'm a Canadian citizen but haven't lived or been a resident there for 13 years.

I stay in Thailand about 40% of my time but don't have any status here other than I have an investment visa (non imm :o. Am also married to a Thai lady here but never got a marriage visa because I have the "B". I don't want status here because then they will tax my income, which obviously isn't ideal.

Does anybody know where I can get a drivers license? I need to rent cars when I travel back to the US and Canada and as of now, I can't even rent a car. I'm kind of residence-less because I don't have official residency in any country.

help.................................

Where is your passport issued from? I may be wrong but that country would be your country of residence. Depending on your visa and the mood of the DL officer you speak with you can go to any DL office and take the necessary test to get a DL.

I used to have a US drivers license but just lost it cause it expired the day my US green card expired. I am no longer a US resident (but that's another story). So I don't have a green card and am no longer a US resident.

I stay in Thailand about 40% of my time but don't have any status here other than I have an investment visa (non imm :D . Am also married to a Thai lady here but never got a marriage visa because I have the "B". I don't want status here because then they will tax my income, which obviously isn't ideal.

Does anybody know where I can get a drivers license? I need to rent cars when I travel back to the US and Canada and as of now, I can't even rent a car. I'm kind of residence-less because I don't have official residency in any country.

Just get a letter of confirmation of where you live in Thailand. Then go to local immigration office and get a letter of residence from them. Go to transport office and do the biz.... :o

Just get a letter of confirmation of where you live in Thailand. Then go to local immigration office and get a letter of residence from them. Go to transport office and do the biz.... :o

Like Eric said will do the trick.

A Thai drivers license can be problematic when it comes time to rent a vehicle in the US or Canada. Get a Canadian or American drivers license and save yourself some trouble. I've been stateless for many years myself, and keep an American drivers license current, though I don't hold an American passport. It was probably a mistake to let your US drivers license expire (you don't need a green card to renew it).

I stay in Thailand about 40% of my time but don't have any status here other than I have an investment visa (non imm :D . Am also married to a Thai lady here but never got a marriage visa because I have the "B". I don't want status here because then they will tax my income, which obviously isn't ideal.

What exactly is a " letter of residence " and can you get one even with a Non B Visa ?

A Thai drivers license can be problematic when it comes time to rent a vehicle in the US or Canada. Get a Canadian or American drivers license and save yourself some trouble. I've been stateless for many years myself, and keep an American drivers license current, though I don't hold an American passport. It was probably a mistake to let your US drivers license expire (you don't need a green card to renew it).

Depends on the state. Some states will only give you a license as long as your legal stay in the US. Terrorism thing, and to stop overstayers. Depends on the state though since each state makes its own rules about driving licenses.

What exactly is a " letter of residence " and can you get one even with a Non B Visa ?

Go to Kaosarn, get a fake international license. Bring that to the Moo Chit transport office and get a Thai License. Wait a few weeks and apply for international driving permit... :o

Ups.... does that really work?

Not sure, havent tried it. But heard about people doing that..

I don't "officially" live in Thailand, actually I'm not sure if you're joking or serious???

BTW, I tried to say Non Imm B but somehow that was interpreted as a :D smiley for some reason.

... I stay in Thailand about 40% of my time but don't have any status here other than I have an investment visa (non imm :D...

Watch out! Never mind the driving licence, I think that makes you resident for tax purposes :o

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on the state. Some states will only give you a license as long as your legal stay in the US. Terrorism thing, and to stop overstayers. Depends on the state though since each state makes its own rules about driving licenses.

I made the mistake also of letting my Hawaii driver’s license expire. I did what HI suggests but perhaps HI functions like Thailand b/c I have not hear back from them in 3+ months. I was born and raised in PA, USA and called them. I have not lived in PA for 10 years and my not being a resident disallowed my renewing my very old and outdated license. HOWEVER at least PA has a system. Ah but maybe b/c PA is part of America and HI is not?

I did everything that was required for a Thai driver’s license – phew what a “trip” that was. And then my wanting to get an international license is yet another “circle jerk.” On Sukhumvit soi 99 I was told a. can not b. must wait 5 years after initial Thai license and just today c. from Moo Chit dept was told after my license expires (in 1 year) I can get one. I’ll tell ya this feels like when I was 5 yrs old and spun myself around in a circle until I became dizzy. Can anyone make and sense out of this “process”? :o