Cooking Pasta In A Rice Cooker

damole

Hi

I'm considering investing in a digital rice cooker to free up my induction hob for other things. What I'd like to know is have people had success cooking pasta in a electronic rice cooker? If not I think I'll just buy another induction cooker and trade flexibility over convenience.

--damole

Hi

I'm considering investing in a digital rice cooker to free up my induction hob for other things. What I'd like to know is have people had success cooking pasta in a electronic rice cooker? If not I think I'll just buy another induction cooker and trade flexibility over convenience.

--damole

Since I found that cooking rice in the micro wave was the easiest quickest method I have wondered if the same could be true with pasta.

If so that may be a much more convenient solution for you rather than a digital rice cooker.

Cheers

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

rice does not come out perfect in a rice cooker unless one calls that sticky, tasteless stuff they call rice here as rice!

Rice is soooo easy to cook well - first get Basmati rice - wash it again and again until the water remains clear - some olive oil in a pot heat it and add the rice stirr a few times so the corns are well coated than add water, or even better stock, if you have to, Knorr - bring to a simmer and leaf, stirring occasionally to simmer at low heat until "al dente" - now you have the perfect rice :D and I wouldn't even coment on the Microwave method .....

To the pasta ... it needs boiling water, lots of it with salt and some olive oil added so they don't stick together ... it takes 7-8 minutes from putting them in until they are ready .. is that too long???

Again, not comment on the Microwave suggestion .... :o

after this shock I need a beer

John

rice does not come out perfect in a rice cooker unless one calls that sticky, tasteless stuff they call rice here as rice!

Rice is soooo easy to cook well - first get Basmati rice - wash it again and again until the water remains clear - some olive oil in a pot heat it and add the rice stirr a few times so the corns are well coated than add water, or even better stock, if you have to, Knorr - bring to a simmer and leaf, stirring occasionally to simmer at low heat until "al dente" - now you have the perfect rice :D and I wouldn't even coment on the Microwave method .....

To the pasta ... it needs boiling water, lots of it with salt and some olive oil added so they don't stick together ... it takes 7-8 minutes from putting them in until they are ready .. is that too long???

Again, not comment on the Microwave suggestion .... :o

John

I cook my rice pretty much how you described except sometimes the washing is somewhat perfunctory. As rice is supposed to stand for 10-15 minutes after cooking this gives just the right time to get my stir-fry or whatever together but with pasta it's supposed to be served immeditaely so one hob is not enough.

As for microwaves, I don't own one or plan too so it seems a second induction hob might be the way to go.

Again, not comment on the Microwave suggestion .... :D

John

Thats making quite a few assumptions.

First and one of the most objectionable is that all people are going to prefer Basmati to Jasmine.

I've known so many people who grew up on basmati suddenly change preference after arring here and discovering Jasmine rice.

Most people who have eaten rice for a while know to wash the starch out.

Your method of coking rice is one way and some will prefer it, I prefer the classical steamed rice. For steamed rice you can get a very good result from the microwave.

I haven't experimented with microwave pasta yet and typically I cook pasta as you describe, but thinking about it logically you should be able to to cook pasta as well in a microwave.

I'll see ,I may be wrong.

I think your being a little pretentious in your wailing. :o

But at the end of the day its all about personal preference.

And cooking is all about experimentation along with tried and trusted recipes.

Cheers

Yes you can cook pasta in them and it turns out fine, you can also steam veggies.

Mad ,

Is that in a MW or RC?

I do enjoy steamed veggies from a RC but its definitely something I haven't worked out to satisfactorily cook in a MW.

Cheers

Hi

--damole

That is the way that I did it, in a rice cooker. I also steamed my spare ribs in a rice cooker and then fried them up in a wok...my wife always had a heck of a time cleaning up after that but it all worked out in the end.

Hi

--damole

That is the way that I did it, in a rice cooker. I also steamed my spare ribs in a rice cooker and then fried them up in a wok...my wife always had a heck of a time cleaning up after that but it all worked out in the end.

For ribs , I precook them under the grill or on the bbq wrapped in aluminium foil.

I'm sure your wife would appreciate this method.

Cheers

Do yourself a favor if you like to cook. Forget the gadgets, and go for a small table top oven, some good pans and some sort of hobs. Learn to cook without the others, it will pay off, and never use a micro wave for anything but heating lunch or defrosting stock!

Do yourself a favor if you like to cook. Forget the gadgets, and go for a small table top oven, some good pans and some sort of hobs. Learn to cook without the others, it will pay off, and never use a micro wave for anything but heating lunch or defrosting stock!

I live in a Condo so space is at a premium, so far I had bought one of the largest toaster oven/cookers I could find, a single Toshiba induction hob and a Tefal electric steamer for my meal cooking armoury. These I thought would be enough for my part time cooking schedule but it seems for pasta an extra cooking device is required. As rice cookers are everywhere and obviously very popular here I thought that might be the way to go. Anything you can set and forget wins points in my book as long as quality doesn't suffer which is why I always used an electric steamer long before I arrived in Thailand.

Another induction hob obviously gives me greater flexibility but takes up slightly more space especially when you consider the extra pans I'll end up needing. I think I'll try and find a friend to let me cook pasta in their rice cooker and see how it turns out.

Thanks for all the tips and info.

--damole