Anti-thaksin Camp Vows To Launch Counter-campaign

george

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And a second military intervention will be required again soon.

There's a huge amount of politicking and manoeuvring going on now - and all in Thaksin's favour.

Thaksin will soon get back everything he's pretty much wanted these last eighteen months.

And two things about Thaksin - his past shows that he can be a very vindictive individual.

And two - he's shrewd - but will act impulsively and decisively - against any perceived foes.

In short - he's a ruthless and unremitting dictator.

Any future PAD meet will surely be a "flash-point" for violence, dissent and insurgency.

There's a huge amount of politicking and manoeuvring going on now - and all in Thaksin's favour.

Thaksin will soon get back everything he's pretty much wanted these last eighteen months.

And two things about Thaksin - his past shows that he can be a very vindictive individual.

And two - he's shrewd - but will act impulsively and decisively - against any perceived foes.

Any future PAD meet will surely be a "flash-point" for violence, dissent and insurgency.

He and his criminally inclined zombies won`t be allowed to go that far.

We`ll wake up some morning to another coup that won`t be so forgiving this time around.

It will be the end of mafia-style politics with a big bang and blood.

He and his criminally inclined zombies won`t be allowed to go that far.

We`ll wake up some morning to another coup that won`t be so forgiving this time around.

It will be the end of mafia-style politics with a big bang and blood.

Agreed. It's hard to believe that the CNS - and everything and all parties it represented - would allow a total capitulation to Thaksin and his henchmen.

A very violent challenge to what is - in essence - a mafia - and Thaksin led take over of everything that was accomplished in the last fifteen months must be inevitable.

I.E. And to quote Tony Clifton - another coup.

Good for them. I'm glad to see some people have the courage to stand up to the fascist kleptocracy that has weaseled its way in to power with 35% of the vote. Protesters have the right to peacefully express their views, and that should not be interfered with. The charges must be dealt with and not swept under the rug. Not likely to happen unfortunately.

I'm all for the PAD albeit that it will cause trouble. Someone has to stand up to this regieme and if it's the PAD good on them.

Thank goodness Bulmercke is back :o

Stand up on whose behalf? I mean, other than on behalf of the PAD's self-interests?

Edited by chevykanteve

I'm all for the PAD albeit that it will cause trouble. Someone has to stand up to this regieme and if it's the PAD good on them.

Thank goodness Bulmercke is back :o

Stand up on whose behalf? I mean, other than on behalf of the PAD's self-interests?

Speculating aren't you! I remember 1000's of peaceful reasonably intelligent protesters roaming the streets questioning Thaksin's policies. Can't think of one reason why peaceful protests are a threat to Thailand's stability.

If the Thais want to move on beyond a 'banana-republic-perceived-society', corruption needs to be fought. And yes, you'll need protesters, because those in power will do anything to keep their fingers in the pie.

Thank goodness Bulmercke is back :D

And perhaps you could inform everyone what those "self-interests" are?

With the exception of Sonthi, who is a businessman, as far as I'm aware the rest are civil society leaders or in the case of Chamlong Srimuang, an ex-soldier/politician turned ascetic, puritanical co-leader of the Santi Asoke movement. All the PAD leaders have shown a high level of self-sacrifice, putting themselves in the face of danger and threats, both those posed by the Thaksin regime and earlier movements for greater democracy in Thailand, such as the Black May events of 1992.

So, what are these "self-interests" you speak of? :o

Absolutely Kireb and Plachon. I never quite understood what happened to Chamlong except that he is back on track now. I expect he listened to Toxin's waffle and believed him as so many others did, only to find out that he's a wolf in sheeps clothing

PAD leaders represent people's voice. Personally I think they are getting a bit ahead of themselves and will have little support for street protests at this point.

Or maybe it's Bangkok Post's intention to present them as provocateurs of violence bent on stirring up trouble. The real plans might not be as drastic as BP headlines suggest.

Still, make no mistake, Thaksin won't get a free ride to power and Samak and co antics won't be tolerated for too long either. There WILL be massive public backlash and PAD leaders are supposed to be in charge when it happens, though someone else might lead the protests this time.

Main PAD's goal is participative democracy - where government feels responsible to the people every day, and not "elect me once and go back to your hole" type of "representative" democracy Thaksin was trumpeting for six years.

They demand government by the people.

PAD support base could reach about half the population, that's a significant force, not just a minority you can shut down and ignore (thought that appears to be Thaksin's goal).

It will all might end nice if Thaksin really just wants his money back and stays out of politics. However his manipulation of the system to achieve that goal might appear as attempts for power grab.

It could be that history repeats itself - 2006 was 1973's triumph of democracy, now comes 1976. Samak and Chalerm are in place and country folks are ready to come to Bangkok to confront the middle classes in the name of their saviour.

>>>

The way Samak has run the government so far easily falls under disrepect the country category. The positions he confers on this scum deserve some respect and he treats them like sofas in a sleazy bar.

PAD leaders represent people's voice. Personally I think they are getting a bit ahead of themselves and will have little support for street protests at this point.

Or maybe it's Bangkok Post's intention to present them as provocateurs of violence bent on stirring up trouble. The real plans might not be as drastic as BP headlines suggest.

Still, make no mistake, Thaksin won't get a free ride to power and Samak and co antics won't be tolerated for too long either. There WILL be massive public backlash and PAD leaders are supposed to be in charge when it happens, though someone else might lead the protests this time.

Main PAD's goal is participative democracy - where government feels responsible to the people every day, and not "elect me once and go back to your hole" type of "representative" democracy Thaksin was trumpeting for six years.

They demand government by the people.

PAD support base could reach about half the population, that's a significant force, not just a minority you can shut down and ignore (thought that appears to be Thaksin's goal).

It will all might end nice if Thaksin really just wants his money back and stays out of politics. However his manipulation of the system to achieve that goal might appear as attempts for power grab.

It could be that history repeats itself - 2006 was 1973's triumph of democracy, now comes 1976. Samak and Chalerm are in place and country folks are ready to come to Bangkok to confront the middle classes in the name of their saviour.

>>>

The way Samak has run the government so far easily falls under disrepect the country category. The positions he confers on this scum deserve some respect and he treats them like sofas in a sleazy bar.

The "people's voice"? Let's for a moment recall the famous Shawn Crispin interview with Sondhi L., as published in Asia Times Online:

Crispin: "So you became the traditional elites' de facto spokesman?"

Sondhi: "Exactly, exactly. The situation was coordinated ..."

In PAD terms "the people" does not mean khon tamaddah. It means the "feudal elite" and refers to their self-interests.

Chamlong Srimuang, an ex-soldier/politician turned ascetic, puritanical co-leader of the Santi Asoke movement.

Santi asoke is an out and out cult.

Santi Asoke is a much more dedicated Buddhism to the reality of Buddhism than the standard Thai version of that religion/philosphy

"Bringing Thaksin to account was one of the main - if not the main reason - for the coup - so it's not surprising that the PAD immediately ceased their protests and decided on a "wait and see" option.

The intelligent choice.

A military intervention had been required in the interests of public safety. "

Well they failed absolutely on point 1 - Thaksin to account just like Thailand has failed to bring any corrupt politician to account (OK maybe Sanom?? a littel)

Point 2 - the excuse for military takeovers uttered in all banana republics.

The cheeleaders against a public vote on this board by western guests with no political say in how the country is run amazes me - do you wish for the bullet over the ballot box in your own countries?

If it is often alluded to that certain Thai's in power monitor this board and they are as vindictive as you beleive maybe a really hard crackdown on all those living in the grey area of visa runs and dodgy proxy run companies might come next as a lesson to keep out of politics of another country to which most have a very tenuous connection?

Just like Nigeria had their "Ghana go home" policy once????

If Samak, Chalerm and the rest of them are to be removed it should be done using the democratic process.

Any future PAD meet will surely be a "flash-point" for violence, dissent and insurgency

Bulmercke,

Are you sure you want to include "insurgency" here....the definition I have found for insurgency indicate:

------------

an organized rebellion aimed at overthrowing a constituted government through the use of subversion and armed conflict

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

-------------

Are you saying that any future PAD meeting will result in an organized rebellion aimed at overthrowing a constituted government through the use of subversion and armed conflict? You use the term "flash-point" which usually means an immediate and drastic change so it seems like after the next PAD meeting you think this type of rebellion will occur....that's why I'm asking if you meant this because I think you really don't mean that....maybe I'm wrong.

Chownah

Obviously, the Sonthi fiasco was the worst thing to happen to Thailand in quite a while. The PAD and their right-wing antics spawned much of the mischief that led to the coup.

The last thing Thailand needs is turmoil and insecurity right now.

Oversea's investors are put off, domestic investors are not investing except in propert and media.

Its the slowest growing of the economies in the region at less than 5% - there is increased competition for investment from the likes of China and even closer Vietnam.

Inflation is increasing and stagflation a possibility - Thailand needs a faster growing economy in this situation and coup's and political unrest make that less likely.

Are the needs and wellbeing of Thailand the significant priority to men of power and wealth? Geeze, I am more confused than I suspected.

that has weaseled its way in to power with 35% of the vote.

"Weaseled its way in to power".........what the heck are you talking about.....there was an election....it was administered under the consitution that the military dictatorship instituted as the law of the land....the result which came about was the PPP forming a coalition gov't.....this is an example of the fundamental working of a parliamentary sytem..............what are you one about?.....you need to spend some time on the internet reading about the method of parliamentary gov't......

Chownah

Obviously, the Sonthi fiasco was the worst thing to happen to Thailand in quite a while. The PAD and their right-wing antics spawned much of the mischief that led to the coup.

The last thing Thailand needs is turmoil and insecurity right now.

Oversea's investors are put off, domestic investors are not investing except in propert and media.

Its the slowest growing of the economies in the region at less than 5% - there is increased competition for investment from the likes of China and even closer Vietnam.

Inflation is increasing and stagflation a possibility - Thailand needs a faster growing economy in this situation and coup's and political unrest make that less likely.

Are the needs and wellbeing of Thailand the significant priority to men of power and wealth? Geeze, I am more confused than I suspected.

I honestly do not know but past evidence would suggest not as would certain dodgy not very well thought out economic systems proposed by certain quarters in Thailand.

I am sure there are some that think that by raising the economc well being of Thailand in general the boat of the general populous would flat higher but IMHO I beleive most of the rich elite fear anyone else doing well or even the poor scrambling out of poverty - more easily controlled there.

Corruption in Thailand goes very deep indeed - it has historical roots in Tax Farms and is part of the social fabric in many professions and much of society.

It would need massive changes to eradicate it but someone has to make a start somewhere. It is however only one reason why Thailand is not moving as fast as some of its competitors in the region - they have a multitude of issues.

Apart from a few industries like Tourism and Auto Thailand is not really going anywhere and given the domestic investment it looks like Thai's do not beleive so either.

In PAD terms "the people" does not mean khon tamaddah. It means the "feudal elite" and refers to their self-interests.

What <deleted>!

Have you seen the people at PAD rallies? I put some pictures on this board myself but Asdo, I think, posted hundreds of them.

"Feudal elites" squatting on a hundred baht plastic mats in the sun for hours.

There was MASSIVE support for PAD all across the political board, including the ever elusive elites. Uncle Prachai donated quite a bit, too, I guess. That doesn't make him, or anyone else, the owner of the movement. They just jump on "me too" bandwagon.

The real ownership lies with the people, not any particular group or individuals. No one, including Sondhi or other nominal leaders, has any power in PAD unless it's supported by the public at large. They can start rallies, sure, but no one will come just to listen to them. People are moved by their internal motivation to "do the right thing for the country", not by public speeches. That's why I don't think PAD leaders will get anywhere at the moment. There's no public support for protests yet.

What I see in the postings here is not really constructive - and I can't see how I could add something constructive :o

One group says PAD is right.

The other says T. and now Samak was democratically elected

The next group is only concerned about the economic only and doesn't care what government is in.

And the rest is the "only me"-group which is hoping they can stay here a little longer ....

I would just say all Nazi haters and German accusers, open your eyes and see how darn hard

and crazy it can be, the way a dictator comes to power.

The coup was not the worst mistake - but the coup in connection with the misled action and unsatisfying and lame results they brought forth in that year time - were indeed a fiasco and paved the way for Mr. T.

The times PAD could mobilize the masses are over. Thailand will drop like a ripe fruit in Mr. T. lap.

Just wait and see.

maxi.

Edited by Maxi101