Can Someone Explain "econo" Or Energy Saving On A/c Remote

bobbin

Recently purchased two Samsung air con units. 18,000 and 24,000 btu.

There is, as noted in topic, an "energy saver" option on the remote. When I engage this mode the fan seems to slow down but unit continues to cool. Perhaps not as cool as in cooling mode.

Naturally, I would want to run in this mode all the time to save money but if it is a bit more complicated internally I would like to know.

As noted also, manuals are in Thai but I looked for English manual online and found quite similar model in English. The manual only points it out but does not explain.

I use the non-auto cooling mode set to 26. The sleep mode is interesting but lasts only 6 hours, while I sleep for 8 hours usually. This means the machine has turned itself off 2 hours before I wake up. So it is not used that often.

I'm ready to learn.

Are you sure sleep mode turns it off? Believe it just provides a larger spread (starts cooling at 2 deg higher than setting rather than 1 deg). Believe the econo is probably a dehumidifier priory setting - low fan speed so humid air gets the water taken out better as it flows through the cool fins.

But both above are only a guess as do not have that unit.

Are you sure sleep mode turns it off? Believe it just provides a larger spread (starts cooling at 2 deg higher than setting rather than 1 deg). Believe the econo is probably a dehumidifier priory setting - low fan speed so humid air gets the water taken out better as it flows through the cool fins.

But both above are only a guess as do not have that unit.

I think most new machines have this "energy saver" option, not just Samsung.

The "sleep option" is a seperate program. It starts off at the temp you set, i.e. 26. After 1 hr. the temp rises 1 degree. i.e. 27. after another hour the temp rises 1 more degree i.e. 28. The temp stays there for 4 hrs. then the a/c shuts itself off. The theory is we fall asleep easier in a cool room but sleep better as it warms a bit. No more waking in the middle of the nite freezing.

The dehumidifier option is also a seperate mode from energy saver mode.

>The sleep mode is interesting but lasts only 6 hours, while I sleep for 8 hours usually.

When you press the sleep mode button, have you tried any of the +/- buttons?

On our Mitsubishi when you tell it to go to either of the timer modes you are given the option to start cooling in X hours or cool for X hours then turn off, adjust with the +/- buttons.

>The sleep mode is interesting but lasts only 6 hours, while I sleep for 8 hours usually.

When you press the sleep mode button, have you tried any of the +/- buttons?

On our Mitsubishi when you tell it to go to either of the timer modes you are given the option to start cooling in X hours or cool for X hours then turn off, adjust with the +/- buttons.

No, I have those timer modes as well. I guess for coming home from work etc. and you want to enter an already cooled room and the other timer mode, i.e. on for 2 hrs and then off. The sleep mode is in addition to these modes. The latest model's sleep mode lasts for 8 hrs.

Then you have "turbo" mode if you forget to preset for cooling at a certain time, where everything is on max. I'm afraid of that mode. :o

> I'm afraid of that mode.

Is that the one with red strobes flashing and the dog gets blown across the room.

I think it just makes more noise to make you think it's doing something extra.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!! :D

My topic seems to have stalled out. With many responses to the other air con topics, I was hoping to have had an answer by now.

And rather than start a new topic, I would like to add another question...

I purchased those 3M electrostatic filters for air con after reading the 3M site which stated that they are designed to not affect the "load pressure" while producing significantly cleaner air.

Well..not true. :o After installing the filters and upon turning on the air con, it sounded like it was being strangled for air. The sound was completely different to what I am used to hearing. Even turning the fan to it's higher speeds did not change this sound. By that I mean that the pitch of the fan did not increase at all!

I immediately removed the filters and all was back to normal. Did I miss something here or are split systems too finely tuned to interfere with their air intake?

My comments in blue.

Bump!! :D

My topic seems to have stalled out. With many responses to the other air con topics, I was hoping to have had an answer by now.

In answer to your original question, most a/c remotes that I have used, which have this "econo" function, slow down the fan speed & set the temperature to 25 degress Celsius. It still works as normal.

And rather than start a new topic, I would like to add another question...

I purchased those 3M electrostatic filters for air con after reading the 3M site which stated that they are designed to not affect the "load pressure" while producing significantly cleaner air.

Well..not true. :o After installing the filters and upon turning on the air con, it sounded like it was being strangled for air. The sound was completely different to what I am used to hearing. Even turning the fan to it's higher speeds did not change this sound. By that I mean that the pitch of the fan did not increase at all!

I immediately removed the filters and all was back to normal. Did I miss something here or are split systems too finely tuned to interfere with their air intake?

Did you check the static pressure specs of this electrostatic filture compared with the air volume rates of your a/c? All filters are different.

Did you check the static pressure specs of this electrostatic filture compared with the air volume rates of your a/c? All filters are different.

Thanks for your response, elkangorito.

As for the original question, I had noticed that the fan sounded like it had slowed down but wondered what else might be going on "internally". I leave my setting at 26 so I don't know if using this feature saves me energy. Logic says no if it sets to 25 but with only a slower fan speed. Do most people set for lower temps do you think? When I select the "auto" mode I see it starts at 24, but I prefer to use the "cooling" mode where you set your own temp.

And on my second question...Perhaps my use of that phrase "load pressure" suggested I know what I'm talking about. I don't. :D And my reading of the web-site made me think all I had to do was cut-to-fit and start enjoying cleaner air. So the answer to your question is no I did not check. I don't even know how one might do that, ..i.e. what stats to look for. The box only shows how to measre for size..I think. Since it's all in Thai, who knows what it says!! :o

With our Toshiba aircon (non-inverter) it is not too clear in the manual about what this does either. I think it is trying to say that it will not be so exact with maintaining the temperature, but will cool to about 2 degrees below the setting and then not switch on again until the temperature is about 2 degrees above the settting. This means that the compressor is not starting and stopping as often.

btw, I'm from Canada. The whole country is air-conditioned!!

We don't need no stinking machines!! :o:D

Have you lived in southern Ontario in the summer? A sauna with pollution.

Most of the country ya freeze yer nutz off for 6 months and sweat yer ballz off the other 6. :D

Except for those Canucks with the good sense to live.....

Edited by johnnyk