Good Old Canadian / Americn Food!

brandie

Hi everyone,

Just found out my family and I are moving from Alberta, Canada to Bangkok in 3 months. My 3 children are not really picky eaters, but tend to stay away from 'new', unfamiliar foods. I was just wondering if you could help me compile a list of some stuff that is not available or very hard to find in Bangkok, so I could bring some extras to get thru the first couple months. PLEASE!!! I've heard stuff like Cheeze Whiz, is hard to find! How about good old Kraft dinner, or peanut butter, or kids cereals?? I have never been to Thailand, and won't be until we move so i could use all the help I can get.

Thanks so much!!!

Brandie

When you get here you will probably want to find the nearest Villa Supermarket and Foodland. Both have stores in the Sukhumvit Road area of Bangkok. They import lots of food items from the USA. The two items you mentioned, kids breakfast cereal, from the USA, and peanut butter, are readily available but a bit expensive. I dont recall ever seeing Cheeze Whiz so that might be an item to bring with you.

Hi everyone,

Just found out my family and I are moving from Alberta, Canada to Bangkok in 3 months. My 3 children are not really picky eaters, but tend to stay away from 'new', unfamiliar foods. I was just wondering if you could help me compile a list of some stuff that is not available or very hard to find in Bangkok, so I could bring some extras to get thru the first couple months. PLEASE!!! I've heard stuff like Cheeze Whiz, is hard to find! How about good old Kraft dinner, or peanut butter, or kids cereals?? I have never been to Thailand, and won't be until we move so i could use all the help I can get.

Thanks so much!!!

Brandie

Peanut butter can be found in any supermarket, thank goodness - even Skippy :o Frozen dinners - very small selection available at major supermarkets in Bangkok. Cheez Whiz - Villa and probably Foodland are likely to have this, but I know Villa also has Velveeta.

For the most part I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing stuff over. If anything, the one thing you want to bring here is good Alberta beef! But it's debatable if they'll let you in with that...

If anything, the one thing you want to bring here is good Alberta beef! But it's debatable if they'll let you in with that...

I never even thought.... we sure will miss that!!! Is the beef that bad in Thailand?? Can anyone think of anything else that is a 'can't live with out' or even just a nice to have for kids, just until we get settled and know where to buy stuff?? I'm so nervious, I've even wondered about stuff like coffee! (Ya, stupid I know, just can't live without it!!! )

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!!!

Brandie

Peanut butter can be found in any supermarket, thank goodness - even Skippy :o Frozen dinners - very small selection available at major supermarkets in Bangkok. Cheez Whiz - Villa and probably Foodland are likely to have this, but I know Villa also has Velveeta.

For the most part I wouldn't be too concerned about bringing stuff over. If anything, the one thing you want to bring here is good Alberta beef! But it's debatable if they'll let you in with that...

Maybe customs will let it through if it's packed in dry ice, that might be an option!

It is not true to say that everything from North America is available here. Alot of it, yes. As far as stuff you will miss, you might be better served to give this some thought and list the items you can't do without at home, and list them here. From that, you might find some strategic items to bring.

Bring a good can opener. The ones here look ok, but they are made of less-than-good steel and don't work well.

A can opener?  What's the matter with the good ol' P-38?  I've been using the one in our kitchen for years, it still works quite well.  Have a few spares, too.

Mac

Let us guess. You saved it from your time in the SAS! :o

If anything, the one thing you want to bring here is good Alberta beef! But it's debatable if they'll let you in with that...

I never even thought.... we sure will miss that!!! Is the beef that bad in Thailand?? Can anyone think of anything else that is a 'can't live with out' or even just a nice to have for kids, just until we get settled and know where to buy stuff?? I'm so nervious, I've even wondered about stuff like coffee! (Ya, stupid I know, just can't live without it!!! )

No need to worry, Bangkok is very modern :o I had the same thoughts when I first moved here, but back then the only thing they were missing were Snickers bars!

Beef - let's put it this way. There are not many cattle in Thailand which are bred specifically for their meat. You can buy good frozen US beef at Foodland and/or Villa - or you can settle for the premium Thai-French beef (which isn't bad) which can be found relatively easily.

It's just that those of us who grew up eating US beef never imagined it could be worse elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry about finding what you want. It may require shopping at several markets but you should be able to find everything you need if located in Bangkok.

Where can I find Matzohs?

Where can I find real bagels (not just bagel shaped bread)?

Where can I find Fusion shaving blades?

Where can I find hot Hungarian paprika? (this one I think you can find, I just haven't seen)

Where can I find Post Grape Nut's Cereal? (people keep saying Villa has it, but have never seen it in Bangkok, and Pattaya carried it for the first few months after they opened, then they stopped stocking even thought it was selling well!)

It is NOT true that you can find everything in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Unfortunately, you can't. So I buy some every time I go to Singapore or HK.

Of course not - but it's not like there's a massive problem finding reasonable substitutes. Except for Grape Nuts... haven't seen them in ages.

I wouldn't worry about finding what you want. It may require shopping at several markets but you should be able to find everything you need if located in Bangkok.

Where can I find hot Hungarian paprika? (this one I think you can find, I just haven't seen)

Where can I find Post Grape Nut's Cereal? (people keep saying Villa has it, but have never seen it in Bangkok, and Pattaya carried it for the first few months after they opened, then they stopped stocking even thought it was selling well!)

There are plenty of decent bagels in Chiang Mai and I wouldn't want any of the other stuff. Matzohs suck, but try Italian pizza crust for the same tasteless taste. :o

Except for Grape Nuts... haven't seen them in ages.

Yes, I know.

This is a major brand in the US, one that many people are really addicted to. There is no substitute. It would be such easy money to stock them. It is really weird that places like Villa don't. Villa, are you listening?

Except for Grape Nuts... haven't seen them in ages.

Yes, I know.

This is a major brand in the US, one that many people are really addicted to. There is no substitute. It would be such easy money to stock them. It is really weird that places like Villa don't. Villa, are you listening?

There definitely is no substitute. Major brand - well, high profile, yes. But the problem is that outside the US, few people know about Grape Nuts - as a result I guess Villa hasn't done that well stocking them. They used to have lots of good American stuff, but that has dwindled quite a bit in recent years.

You also have to watch prices there. A canister of Crystal Light costs 215 baht there - elsewhere in the Emporium/The Mall (currently out of stock) it's 140, Tops and Foodland 129.

I don't mind paying more for imported and unique products - but it seems so stupid when they don't adjust their prices when they are no longer the only company stocking the product.

Villa, are you listening? :o

I don't believe this. They stock lots of American oriented products including popular breakfast cereals My guess is that it has something more to do with the company, Post. They don't seem to import many Post cereal products but other American brands they do. There are also American cereals with much smaller market share in the US than Grape Nuts that you can find easily in Thailand. Villa, get us the Grape Nuts, dammit!

Edited by Jingthing

Bring a good can opener. The ones here look ok, but they are made of less-than-good steel and don't work well.

A can opener?  What's the matter with the good ol' P-38?  I've been using the one in our kitchen for years, it still works quite well.  Have a few spares, too.

Mac

I had one of those (p-38) the first time I was in Iraq...used it open canned foods we found in Iraqi military installations. My dad still has the one he used in Vietnam...a little rusted now though. Mine had a plastic sheath for it so it wouldn't stab me when I had to "hit the dirt".

Au Bon Pain shops/cafes seem to stock a nice selection of fairly real bagels, in different flavors.

The crazy part (for me) is that every time I ask, they'll sell them one by one. But for some reason, they don't stock/sell them in bags of six or fours (or any quantity), as is the custom in the U.S.

Villa Market, at least the one on Soi 11, also stocks a couple varieties of real looking bagels (4 packs I think), though I haven't eaten them there.

If in BKK, I'd also check out La Boulange Cafe on Soi Convent at Silom Road....

Kraft Dinner is available here in Thailand (at Villa), but I have never seen it for less than 100 baht/box. When I have my friends come visit me, I always tell them they can stay with me for free if they cart over a case of Kraft dinner (24 boxes/$10!).

This is my one true vice, and the main thing I miss about Canada.

By the way, I'm from Edmonton, myself. You've made a good decision to get out of Albertan winters!

BFD!

Au Bon Pain shops/cafes seem to stock a nice selection of fairly real bagels, in different flavors.

The crazy part (for me) is that every time I ask, they'll sell them one by one. But for some reason, they don't stock/sell them in bags of six or fours (or any quantity), as is the custom in the U.S.

Villa Market, at least the one on Soi 11, also stocks a couple varieties of real looking bagels (4 packs I think), though I haven't eaten them there.

If in BKK, I'd also check out La Boulange Cafe on Soi Convent at Silom Road....

These aren't real bagels, they are only shaped like bagels.