Eeepc - Windows Explorer Crashes

sensei

I have a 4Gb Asus eeePC that has Windows XP Pro installed. The Windows Explorer often crashes even if I am not doing anything. I have Removed Atheros Wireless Client and unchecked the compress files as suggested in the eeeUser forum has suggested. Unfortunately, the windows explorer error still occurs. It is quickly followed by a Dr. Watson's POSTMORTEM Debugger that totally freezes everything.

What could be causing all of these things to happen?

What should I do to stop these crashes?

Edited by sensei

I did experience some crashes on eeepc. Maybe down to the amount of diskspace you have left....I could not pin it down.

In the end I changed to Firefox without problems.

Thanks for the response. I have around 1.33Gb of free space left on the main drive and yes, I am using Firefox too.

I still have page filing (Virtual Memory) active and I set it to 256-512Mb since I only have 512Mb of RAM.

It is still going on as I type. The Windows Explorer crashes are tolerable. The Dr. Watson thing is the one that freezes everything that only a reboot gets everything running again.

Edited by sensei

Can't say I have the same problem, on both my eeepc's I shrank the windows installation (with XPlite) and one of the things I threw out is IE explorer! Only using firefox, and as of yet my eeepc still has to freeze for the first time.

Can't say I have the same problem, on both my eeepc's I shrank the windows installation (with XPlite) and one of the things I threw out is IE explorer! Only using firefox, and as of yet my eeepc still has to freeze for the first time.

Thanks, Monty

It is not Internet Explorer that is crashing but Windows Explorer. The one that handles folders and files in Windows. Yes, I am using Firefox and I am not going back to IE. I'll try to get IE out and see what happens. Wait, can I still remove IE at this point?

Edited by sensei

Yes you can still remove IE. That's why I use XPlite, much easier then using nlite, where you have to create an install CD of windows with the stuff you don't want removed (although you can slipstream service packs inside).

It's not free though, costs 40 us$, but the US greenback is pretty cheap now :o

You can get rid of all the stuff you don't need like all the screensavers, backgrounds and whatnot!

• 2 weeks later...
dont think its anything to do with internet explorer. why not just format and do a reinstall???

Format and reinstall, that has solved my problem. Now,my eeePC is working like a charm.

Thank you folks for your suggestions!

I brought the computer back to the store where I bought it because my eeePC came with Windows XP Pro preinstalled.

Before doing so, I took a screen shot of the desktop as the symptoms that I have mentioned occurred. I thought the tech guy in the shop would appreciate seeing what's troubling me.

He came to the conclusion that the PICTURE, yes the jpg screen shot is the one causing the problem. he said "There is something wrong with this picture. This picture has a problem and it's making your computer crash."

I didn't buy that cr_p because there is no reason why a jpg file could cause me such trouble and I just insisted that he reinstall Windows.

I got a fresh installation of XP and the problem is gone at least for the time being.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by sensei