Cashing Us Savings Bonds Overseas?

Just curious if it is possible to cash some old US savings bonds here in Thailand? I have no idea where it would be done if it were possible. I'll do it in the US sometime inthe future if necessary. Anyone know about this? The bonds are just for a thousand bucks or so each.

Just curious if it is possible to cash some old US savings bonds here in Thailand? I have no idea where it would be done if it were possible. I'll do it in the US sometime inthe future if necessary. Anyone know about this? The bonds are just for a thousand bucks or so each.

One way to do it is that you can open an account at Treasury Direct (http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/indiv.htm) and convert those bonds to electronic form, then cash them.

One way to do it is that you can open an account at Treasury Direct (http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/indiv.htm) and convert those bonds to electronic form, then cash them.

I just opened a TreasuryDirect account for that reason, to be able to cash a number of savings bonds that I have here in Bangkok. It's a bit involved to set up. Basicly here's how it works. You have to download the application form then have your signature verified at the Consulate for $30 then send it off to Treasury Direct. Also you will need a account set up where the Treasury can wire the money from the bonds. You will need to complete a form with those wire details. Once the account is opened you will post the bonds to it on line. Then the bonds must be mailed, unsigned, to the Treasury in Parkersburg, WV. Once the actual paper bonds are received then you can direct the Treasury to redeem them and the money will be wired to the account that you have designated.