Visa Run Gone Bad - At Least Four Hospitalized

why not just rent a car or go fire fly. it might be cheap going with these mini vans but u get what u pay for. up to the customer. i would rarther pay extra and fly to bangkok then fly air asia then fly back. not cheap but it is cheer ful.

or fire fly there and baqck in 2 days.

pay pea nuts u get monkeys as they say in england.

Edited by BigC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Herbert don't offer Visaruns on Friday, maybe we talking about Borderruns?

and Borderruns are just for Farangs who need a 30day Stamp (VOA).

Nobody get a Visa in Pedang Besar because there is no Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Let us compare these two companies:

"H" takes the first Ferry from Nathon in the morning (05:00AM)

he cross the Border at "Pedang Besar" Malaysia,

in the evening "H" takes the Ferry about 04:00PM or 05:00PM.

How about the Borderruns from "J" ?

Is anybody going with her before for a Borderrun?

I know that she's drive to "Sadao"

Chayaphum

...yeah, why not fly? Since when Pedang Besar has a Airport? :o

any News are welcome, thank's.

...Herbert don't offer Visaruns on Friday, maybe we talking about Borderruns?

and Borderruns are just for Farangs who need a 30day Stamp (VOA).

Nobody get a Visa in Pedang Besar because there is no Thai Embassy or Consulate.

Let us compare these two companies:

"H" takes the first Ferry from Nathon in the morning (05:00AM)

he cross the Border at "Pedang Besar" Malaysia,

in the evening "H" takes the Ferry about 04:00PM or 05:00PM.

How about the Borderruns from "J" ?

Is anybody going with her before for a Borderrun?

I know that she's drive to "Sadao"

Chayaphum

...yeah, why not fly? Since when Pedang Besar has a Airport? :o

any News are welcome, thank's.

Julie's run goes to a small border post, off the main highway before Hat Yai, in Satun district (the name slipped my mind). And we took the 06:00 ferry in the morning and 17:00 ferry back. I imagine when the shock about Herbert's accident wears off they might try to catch the 16:00 ferry again. I suggest if you see the driver speeding to get the 16:00 ferry, tell him to chill out and slow down a bit. It might even help.

If these comparisons are correct (and is it 4pm or 5pm ferry for H? I assume 4pm), then the time frame for the trip is the same for both services.

I have never taken anyone other than Julie, and have been satisfied, although there are times when the speed of the vehicle seems excessive. Nevertheless, there is little wiggle room with regard time on this, and unless people are happy to catch a ferry an hour later, there is no other way to do it but with fast driving.

There is no question that the amazing speed (we have been at times passing cars that were going on the highway, at highway speeds I would assume, like they were standing still) increases the risk of accidents.

It doesn't really matter whether it was a tire blown or driver error -- going that fast on Thai roads with Thai drivers will always have a certain degree of "what if" involved.

Well, anything can happen, but this was/is in the books!

Lucky not much more happened! Hope all the people involved are well!

The Difference between "H's" and "J's" are some 2 or 3 hrs.! while "H" tries to get, whatever it takes the 13:00 or most likely the 14:00 Ferry and be on Nathon pier at 14:30 or 15:30 "J" seems to take it a bit easier and is back by 18:30... 19.. something.. and then there still is firefly...

I have only to go once a year to samui-immigration... that makes things A LOT more palatable!

• 2 weeks later...
any news?

better question would be: any fakts ?

as it was a "normal" car accident that can happen to anybody antime, anywhere. (bad enough it happened at all)

I find it amazing to read stories about Mini Vans on 2 wheels and all that ... would better fit into a "I also want to write something" topic :o

I usually drive about 130 km/h on the highways here in Thailand (and the Highway to the South is quite a good one) and i very rarely experience a Mini Van trying to pass me. Maybe people start to overestimate speed when they get used to the "slow" speeds on the Islands where a Truck with 60 km/h is considered "enormously speeding"

I had a visa run with Julie today, she let us sign a paper that we understand hospital costs are covered by insurance up to 50'000 Bath per person. Maybe enough for a broken leg but more? :oThe run itself was smooth, the bus was fine, the driver not speeding, seemed pretty safe to me.Not sure if I can believe all they said about H's accident so I will not spread unverified stories/rumours.

... :D great! I will love "Julie's" driver......they are the best in Thailand.

what dou you mean with "the bus was fine" ?

tell us more about Julie's buses, what Brand/Type she use?

How many seats are in her buses (in how many rows) ?

thank's alot

Chayaphum

any news?
better question would be: any fakts ? as it was a "normal" car accident that can happen to anybody antime, anywhere. (bad enough it happened at all) I find it amazing to read stories about Mini Vans on 2 wheels and all that ... would better fit into a "I also want to write something" topic :o I usually drive about 130 km/h on the highways here in Thailand (and the Highway to the South is quite a good one) and i very rarely experience a Mini Van trying to pass me. Maybe people start to overestimate speed when they get used to the "slow" speeds on the Islands where a Truck with 60 km/h is considered "enormously speeding"

totally agree with you!

if somebody of you TV users understand the german language then please read that "Bullshit"

http://www.der-farang.com/?article=2008/06...znotiertinsamui

here is the original german-version:

Hat Yai. Ein tragisches Ende nahm die Visatour eines österreichischen Reiseveranstalters aus Koh Samui bei Rattapoom im Bezirk Sonkhla. Der Minibus mit mehreren europäischen Insassen überschlug sich am Freitag, 7. März, morgens bei einem Unfall mehrfach. Laut ersten Angaben des ebenfalls verletzten Veranstalters war während der Fahrt ein Reifen geplatzt. Mindestens eine Engländerin und drei Deutsche erlitten Knochenbrüche im Becken- und Beinbereich und wurden in umliegende Krankenhäuser in Hat Yai gebracht. Ein Schwerverletzter war zunächst nicht transportfähig und wurde im Krankenhaus Rattapoom notversorgt. Über weitere Umstände des Unfalles wurde zunächst nichts bekannt. Die Polizei nahm vor Ort Ermittlungen auf.

translation with Google:

A tragic end, the visa tour of an Austrian tour operator from Koh Samui with Rattapoom district Sonkhla. The minibus with several European occupants rolled over on Friday, 7 March, the morning in an accident several times. According to preliminary data of the operator was also injured while driving a tyre burst. At least one British and three Germans suffered fractures in the pelvis and leg were in the area and surrounding hospitals in Hat Yai. A heavy injured occupant was not transportable and was emergency-cared in hospital Rattapoom. There are also circumstances of the accident was not initially known. The police began investigations on the spot.

it's very sad what they wrote there because it's not true !!!

It's just another wrong accident story/description from a unqualified Journalist :D

This Toyota VIP Minivan never rolled over after one tyre on the back was bursted!

That's the reality.....don't believe everything what some newspapers writing.

Chayaphum

Dear Chayaphum,

Why don't you enlighten us with true and verifiable details of Herbert's accident, you seem to know exactly what happened. But then, you also 'knew' that Julie's run is going to Sadao, which was obviously wrong.

Now to the buses Julie is using, they are leased from Seatran, Toyota Commuter 12 or 13 seater, pretty new, kept in tip top shape I would say. For more info please call Julie (0860666151) as I'm not her sales agent (wouldn't mind a comission though).

Cheers Longtom

it's very sad what they wrote there because it's not true !!!

It's just another wrong accident story/description from a unqualified Journalist :o

This Toyota VIP Minivan never rolled over after one tyre on the back was bursted!

That's the reality.....don't believe everything what some newspapers writing.

Chayaphum

Well as i said earlier in the thread, that's what my Friend said happened & he was in the Mini Bus behind.. :D

So what actually happened then, please enlighten us all ??

For my visa run to Mae Sai from a village near Chiang Mai I always hire a thai guy who has a small private minibus company. I pay 1500Bahts + fuel for the whole day and invite some poeple from the village who want to come with. He come to pick up at the door and all the day we are free to tell him to stop here and there to visit some place or drink-eat something, at our will. On the border we have all the time we want to shopping and phone him when we are ready to go back.

When returning in the evening we can as well stop in a good restaurant and he will wait and pick us after. There is no time limit, he ride very safe and never fast, never drink alcohol and is a very nice guy. I have absolutely no confidence in companies who make business of visa runs.

Dear Chayaphum, Why don't you enlighten us with true and verifiable details of Herbert's accident, you seem to know exactly what happened. But then, you also 'knew' that Julie's run is going to Sadao, which was obviously wrong. Now to the buses Julie is using, they are leased from Seatran, Toyota Commuter 12 or 13 seater, pretty new, kept in tip top shape I would say. For more info please call Julie (0860666151) as I'm not her sales agent (wouldn't mind a comission though). Cheers Longtom

I just dislike it when untruths published/disseminated.

This accident didn't have a "tragic end", it was just a normal incident that everybody uf us can have.

The most injured customers from that minivan had take place on the first of the tree rows inside the bus.

(these places are the most dangerous seats, but also the most comfortable because you can stretch your legs fully)

If somebody will do that and the minibus get involved into a crash, for shure these first 3 people would be affected

between heavy and very heavy with injuries to their body, the same concerns to the person next to the driver.

Chayaphum

PS: Julie's cross the same border as Herbert, right? Khuan Don (before it was Padang Besar)

...Toyota Commuter 12 or 13 seater :o , sorry but that's not a VIP bus for me

(if you are more then 180cm high you understand why)

Herbert's Minivans are really VIP, 9 +1 Seat in front only, sabai dee maak maak :D

I took Julie's in Dec and it was fine. I'm 187cm and was comfortable enough for what it was (a day trip to the border and back). There was enough room so that we weren't sitting shoulder to shoulder. However, if I need to do a border run again I think I'll just combine it with a short trip somewhere rather than spend the day watching the Thai countryside fly by. The cost is higher but in the long run I'll enjoy it more.

Skidding off the road due to a tyre burst doesn't sound very VIP, or sabai dee, to me. Nor does being one of the passengers in the 1st 3 rows. Chayapum, you say that this would happen any time a minibus crashed, the question here is the cause not the results. It was not so long ago we had a set of posts on this forum regarding the unsafe driving of Herberts drivers ( not posted by freinds of freinds, but people straight off his bus) saying it was only a matter of time before an accident occurred, and it was. Whats expected of the driver is that he understands the added responsibility of having 9 other passengers and drives appropriately.

Hey there,

I don't live in thailand, however from what I know my mother and her boyfriend were two of the four injured in the accident. Should anyone find out anything at all about the accident, especially the well being of those injured PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Have tried calling both them and the hospital but to no avail, so your information is like gold dust to me at present.

Munky

Hi Munky,

Sorry about your relatives. You could try ringing Herbert's office in Samui on +6677420747 (There is a thai girl that works there and takes bookings but obviously is only open office hours and maybe closed all the time at the moment due to the accident) or Herbert's mobile on +66818933859 (but that is likely to be off as well). Alternatively you could try calling the UK's (or whatever country your are from) embassy in Bangkok.

Hey there,

I don't live in thailand, however from what I know my mother and her boyfriend were two of the four injured in the accident. Should anyone find out anything at all about the accident, especially the well being of those injured PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Have tried calling both them and the hospital but to no avail, so your information is like gold dust to me at present.

Munky

Hi Munky,

Sorry about your relatives. You could try ringing Herbert's office in Samui on +6677420747 (There is a thai girl that works there and takes bookings but obviously is only open office hours and maybe closed all the time at the moment due to the accident) or Herbert's mobile on +66818933859 (but that is likely to be off as well). Alternatively you could try calling the UK's (or whatever country your are from) embassy in Bangkok.

Hi Sangsom,

This is Munky's mum, just returned to Koh Samui after 3 weeks in Hat Yai hospital. Many thanks for your assistance in connecting me with my son. My mobile phone was destroyed in the accident and therefore I had no contact numbers.

I took Julie's in Dec and it was fine. I'm 187cm and was comfortable enough for what it was (a day trip to the border and back). There was enough room so that we weren't sitting shoulder to shoulder. However, if I need to do a border run again I think I'll just combine it with a short trip somewhere rather than spend the day watching the Thai countryside fly by. The cost is higher but in the long run I'll enjoy it more.

...i am so happy with you that you had a comfortable Borderrun with Julie's Minibus :D

Skidding off the road due to a tyre burst doesn't sound very VIP, or sabai dee, to me. Nor does being one of the passengers in the 1st 3 rows. Chayapum, you say that this would happen any time a minibus crashed, the question here is the cause not the results. It was not so long ago we had a set of posts on this forum regarding the unsafe driving of Herberts drivers ( not posted by freinds of freinds, but people straight off his bus) saying it was only a matter of time before an accident occurred, and it was. Whats expected of the driver is that he understands the added responsibility of having 9 other passengers and drives appropriately.

please read first carefully what i wrote before you answer....

"Herbert's Minivans are really VIP, 9 +1 Seat in front only, sabai dee maak maak :D "

i never talking about that this accident was very VIP ! i just talk about the Minivans that he use for travel.

Unsave driving in Thailand is a normal thing....don't be astonished or appalled about the style here.

Responsibility? you mean in Thailand? :o who have this, let me know some companys that you know.

Just make a Island-Safari with Mr.Ung around Samui....after that let us know, how safe you felt with him.

i think that's an endless story here in ThaiVisa about security/safety and driving in LOS.

My recommendation:

Don't leave your room/house, because it's very dangerous outside, especially on the roads....

but there is no guarantee that you don't dying inside your room/house...maybe get a heart attack :D

It is too stupid for me here to talk more about this story...people believe what they want, not what is real.

For more informations please contact the Touroperator (Herbert) directly or make him a visit in Nathon.

Chayaphum

Hey there,

Munky

Hi Munky, Mum is fine.

Further...

I would just like to say, that being one of the people directly involved in this accident, I am amazed at the amount of incorrect information supplied in this forum.

I can confirm that only two people remain in hospital at this time, one being my boyfriend. They are both in Hat Yai hospital with two broken legs. We are hopeful that they will return to Samui within a week.

I believe other people involved all suffered broken bones (lower legs I think) with the exceptions of one who had some nerve damage to his back, Herbert with a broken arm and the driver with cracked ribs.

I suffered one broken leg also, but the point I wish to make is that all medical care has been covered by the vehicle insurance. Whilst the government hospital is not 5 star, the doctors have been excellent. I also can confirm that Herbert did everything possible to ensure we obtained our visas and was in daily contact with us regarding our recovery and providing insurance details.

It is my opinion that most of the injuries sustained were due to the poor manufacture on the seats, most of them came away from the floor because they were only held in place by one bolt!!!!

It is very easy to point fingers at who is to blame, Herbert, the driver, the vehicle manufacturer, whoever....... but we all know that once we travel, be it by air, land or sea, we risk accident or death. This time we were all fortunate that the injuries are relatively minor compared with what may have happened - no head injuries, paralysis or loss of life.

I consider myself to be very lucky, and so does my boyfriend.

Hey there,

Munky

Hi Munky, Mum is fine.

Further...

I would just like to say, that being one of the people directly involved in this accident, I am amazed at the amount of incorrect information supplied in this forum.

I can confirm that only two people remain in hospital at this time, one being my boyfriend. They are both in Hat Yai hospital with two broken legs. We are hopeful that they will return to Samui within a week.

I believe other people involved all suffered broken bones (lower legs I think) with the exceptions of one who had some nerve damage to his back, Herbert with a broken arm and the driver with cracked ribs.

I suffered one broken leg also, but the point I wish to make is that all medical care has been covered by the vehicle insurance. Whilst the government hospital is not 5 star, the doctors have been excellent. I also can confirm that Herbert did everything possible to ensure we obtained our visas and was in daily contact with us regarding our recovery and providing insurance details.

It is my opinion that most of the injuries sustained were due to the poor manufacture on the seats, most of them came away from the floor because they were only held in place by one bolt!!!!

It is very easy to point fingers at who is to blame, Herbert, the driver, the vehicle manufacturer, whoever....... but we all know that once we travel, be it by air, land or sea, we risk accident or death. This time we were all fortunate that the injuries are relatively minor compared with what may have happened - no head injuries, paralysis or loss of life.

Could you describe what was the reason for the accident? Had speed anything to do with it? No one has really described what REALLY happened...

:o:D :D

Who is responsible for the murder? The knife sir, the knife!

:D :D :D

It is very easy to point fingers at who is to blame, Herbert, the driver, the vehicle manufacturer, whoever....... but we all know that once we travel, be it by air, land or sea, we risk accident or death.

Yes, life is a terminal disease, isn't it!? Death walks, behind you...!

Certainly, you and all the others involved, are lucky, very lucky to be alive, but then it could have been worse, couldn't it?

...hope all the injured get back on "track" soon!

Lucky there is not such a thing like carelessness, reckless driving, speeding, irresponsibility... nope... there isn't and well, everyone was covered by "the cars" insurance....lucky, aren't they?

The company can assume that they have been very lucky that this happened here and not in Europe or the US!

Edited by Samuian

I just dislike it when untruths published/disseminated.

This accident didn't have a "tragic end", it was just a normal incident that everybody uf us can have.

The most injured customers from that minivan had take place on the first of the tree rows inside the bus.

(these places are the most dangerous seats, but also the most comfortable because you can stretch your legs fully)

Sure you can stretch your legs in a lenghty hospital room! Previous LONG chat/conversation about the issue (unsafe visaruns) was all about how driving FAST multiples chances of getting HURT - badly. IF someone living in a paradise island is wishing to take chances on his/her health over a few frikking hours, from now on it's even more obvious where to go...

I don't wanna get more uncomfortable on my trips but from now on only one safe comp. I'll use and its EASY (if not flying). Name does say it and it is only my personal opinion without commercial addition.

Hey there,

Munky

Hi Munky, Mum is fine.

Further...

I have done visaruns and borderruns with herbert for many years now. I will continue in the future.

this accident is sad, but if you spend all day every day an the road fighting time, I think an accident most likely will happen.

herberts service is ALWAYS top. he gets your visa if he says so. He plays tuff, but is soft inside and always willing to help you out.

HE COVERED THE MEDICAL COSTS....... He took responsebility. What more can you ask? more slow driving???? he is popular because he gets the job done fast. and if you dont like the fast driving, take a consulate run with him. he relaxes much more on those trips.

Hey there,

Munky

Hi Munky, Mum is fine.

Further...

Could you describe what was the reason for the accident? Had speed anything to do with it? No one has really described what REALLY happened...

Simply a blown tyre as far as I know, and no, the speed at the time was not excessive. The driver lost control and we hit a tree which stopped us ending up in the river.