Kids Getting Sick (flu?) In Isaan

pumpuiman

Hi,

My 18 month old niece has just been hospitalized in Pimai with flu like symptoms. I'm told that there were many children there suffering the same problems...a ward of crying children..(breaks my heart)

Has anyone heard of a flu going around?

I'm a little worried...and am wondering if I should send her to Bangkok....or am I overly concerned?

Their treating her with IV fluids and medicine (anti viral?)

If anyone in Isaan has noticed an outbreak, or gone through this lately....let me know here please, you can help ease a worried uncle's mind.

Thanks,

Eric

hey there, it does seem to be an annual event. i used to cover potential bird flu outbreaks from bangkok and there would always be scares when flu season started and kids were hospitalized. virtually all the scares were just normal flu cases but i was always surprised to see just how bad the flu can be here. btw, these outbreaks were primarily in the area around Phichit but they also occurred east of that.

so, it does seem to be normal but can still be a very serious, especially for little kids (and elderly folks). you're not being overly concerned. you could consider having her transferred to bangkok but honestly the protocol for flu treatment is pretty simple and probably any decent hospital can deal with it.

i hope she feels better soon!

hey there, it does seem to be an annual event. i used to cover potential bird flu outbreaks from bangkok and there would always be scares when flu season started and kids were hospitalized. virtually all the scares were just normal flu cases but i was always surprised to see just how bad the flu can be here. btw, these outbreaks were primarily in the area around Phichit but they also occurred east of that.

so, it does seem to be normal but can still be a very serious, especially for little kids (and elderly folks). you're not being overly concerned. you could consider having her transferred to bangkok but honestly the protocol for flu treatment is pretty simple and probably any decent hospital can deal with it.

Thank you so much for your reply....It eases my mind a little.

Eric

Thank you so much for your reply....It eases my mind a little.

Eric

Hope she gets better soon maybe next year get her the flu jab, better safe than sorry and must be cheaper than hospital bill!