Thailand's Biggest Foreign Book Store Set To Open

george

Thailand's biggest foreign book store set to open

BANGKOK: -- The operator of Amarin Plaza has teamed up with Asia Books and S&P Syndicate to add Thailand's biggest foreign book outlet as part of a store facelift.

Rungyos Chantapasa, vice-president for business development with Erawan Ratchaprasong Co, said that the Book Lounge @ Amarin covering 400 square metres would open on the fourth floor of Amarin Plaza next month.

It provides book lovers with more than 150,000 titles of books and magazines with an urban ambience and an aromatic atmosphere with Blue Cup Coffee from S&P Syndicate and other facilities such as WiFi internet.

"The new Book Lounge @Amarin is a great example of our new lifestyle-oriented approach," Mr Rungyos said. "We want to develop a traditional English library with a lifestyle-theme bookstore to become the third place for customers after their house and office."

Apart from the Book Lounge, the company will add more anchors to provide a value-oriented and fun experience in the Ratchaprasong district. They include 700 square metres of adventure sport shops and Breakfast @ Amarin.

It will also join with the Thai Handicraft Trade Association to develop new designs as well as increase the number of Thai handicraft shops by three times from 40 shops at present.

The company will spend about 30 million baht on a minor facelift of its plaza and office building this year. It is expected to complete its store facelift in the first half and aims to double the number of visitors to 40,000 people.

Phumate Manuphibul, managing director of Asia Books Co, said the company spent 20 million baht to open Book Lounge @ Amarin.

"It is the first of its kind for Asia Books to offer up to 150,000 book and magazine titles to customers. You can't find books and magazine titles you want at our 16 Asia Books outlets if you can't find them at Book Lounge," Mr Phumate said.

As all books and magazines at Book Lounge will be previous versions, the company will offer 30-80% discounts for all titles. It will test the concept for about six months and if it is successful, it will open more outlets this year.

Apart from opening its new book concept store at Amarin, Asia Books, also plans to spend 100 million baht this year to open four Asia Books original-format stores in Bangkok.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-02-09

Thailand's biggest foreign book store set to open

BANGKOK: -- The operator of Amarin Plaza has teamed up with Asia Books and S&P Syndicate to add Thailand's biggest foreign book outlet as part of a store facelift.

Rungyos Chantapasa, vice-president for business development with Erawan Ratchaprasong Co, said that the Book Lounge @ Amarin covering 400 square metres would open on the fourth floor of Amarin Plaza next month.

It provides book lovers with more than 150,000 titles of books and magazines with an urban ambience and an aromatic atmosphere with Blue Cup Coffee from S&P Syndicate and other facilities such as WiFi internet.

"The new Book Lounge @Amarin is a great example of our new lifestyle-oriented approach," Mr Rungyos said. "We want to develop a traditional English library with a lifestyle-theme bookstore to become the third place for customers after their house and office."

Apart from the Book Lounge, the company will add more anchors to provide a value-oriented and fun experience in the Ratchaprasong district. They include 700 square metres of adventure sport shops and Breakfast @ Amarin.

It will also join with the Thai Handicraft Trade Association to develop new designs as well as increase the number of Thai handicraft shops by three times from 40 shops at present.

The company will spend about 30 million baht on a minor facelift of its plaza and office building this year. It is expected to complete its store facelift in the first half and aims to double the number of visitors to 40,000 people.

Phumate Manuphibul, managing director of Asia Books Co, said the company spent 20 million baht to open Book Lounge @ Amarin.

"It is the first of its kind for Asia Books to offer up to 150,000 book and magazine titles to customers. You can't find books and magazine titles you want at our 16 Asia Books outlets if you can't find them at Book Lounge," Mr Phumate said.

As all books and magazines at Book Lounge will be previous versions, the company will offer 30-80% discounts for all titles. It will test the concept for about six months and if it is successful, it will open more outlets this year.

Apart from opening its new book concept store at Amarin, Asia Books, also plans to spend 100 million baht this year to open four Asia Books original-format stores in Bangkok.

I have long been puzzled at the business model of English language bookstores in Thailand.I wonder whether Asia Books has been profitable over the years but I'm guessing that it has been, at least on a modest level.But where is the real money making market, apart from foreign residents and tourists? Thais are not great readers but in any case are well catered for in other outlets, and very few have an interest in English language publications.Bookazine/Distrithai made money mainly I suppose through magazine and newspaper distribution but on a small scale.It recently merged without much publicity with Asia Books which is now having this big push at Amarin Plaza.What's driving this I suspect is the private equity ownership which in this country and in this sector depends for the high returns it expect to make on a sale to some hopefully naive buyer.This high profile initiative I would guess is part of a "strategic" drive to raise the profile of an enterprise which doesn't make a huge amount of commercial sense.The Asia Book ownership(foreigners I think) will be hoping that some local (Central?) outfit will be stupid enough to pay top dollar and that this Amarin effort will be the bait.I suspect they are mistaken.

I think Amarin is doing this because they need to get some shoppers finally to the mall. In general Amarin is empty mall where nobody goes to. I agree, that K. store in Paragon is the best in Thailand. Who needs selection larger then 150.000 books ?! I personally know quite a few people ordering on Amazon to get a book.

What about Thai books. Any idea where my missus could buy good books, rather than the standard "1,000 ways to get rich"crap at most Thai book stores.

We've been looking everywhere, it's either in English either not worth reading and paying for.

What about secondhand Thai books? Any idea guys?

:o Where do they find these marketing plebs? Amarin Plaza is a ghost-mall, despite being in a great location near Gaysorn and the Hyatt Erawan.

Any new big bookstore in Bangkok is welcome, especially if it sells a different range of books than I can find at Kino. in Paragon.

I think Amarin is doing this because they need to get some shoppers finally to the mall. In general Amarin is empty mall where nobody goes to. I agree, that K. store in Paragon is the best in Thailand. Who needs selection larger then 150.000 books ?! I personally know quite a few people ordering on Amazon to get a book.

Good point which I had overlooked.Amarin Plaza is surprisingly dead.But now I come to think of it what is the real potential for high end places nr Rajdamri - Peninsula, Gaysorn, WTC, Paragon?

What about Thai books. Any idea where my missus could buy good books, rather than the standard "1,000 ways to get rich"crap at most Thai book stores.

We've been looking everywhere, it's either in English either not worth reading and paying for.

Visit Bangkok International Book Fair at Queen Srikit Convention Center on 26 March to 7 April, There were be plenty of Thai and English books for you to choose and pick. I visit this books fair twice a year to select what I need.

"As all books and magazines at Book Lounge will be previous versions, the company will offer 30-80% discounts for all titles. It will test the concept for about six months and if it is successful, it will open more outlets this year."

This is a book clearance outlet. These publications are out of circulation, deletes. A few years ago they had a one week book sale on the ground floor of Amarin. I couldn't find anything worth buying and I regularly spend 1,000 a month at Kinokunya.

Any new big bookstore in Bangkok is welcome, especially if it sells a different range of books than I can find at Kino. in Paragon.

fat chance of that happening given the near monopoly on bulk imports of books to los..... :o

Edited by Payboy

www.naiin.com

Visit Bangkok International Book Fair at Queen Srikit Convention Center on 26 March to 7 April, There were be plenty of Thai and English books for you to choose and pick. I visit this books fair twice a year to select what I need.

Thank you guys!

Good point which I had overlooked.Amarin Plaza is surprisingly dead.But now I come to think of it what is the real potential for high end places nr Rajdamri - Peninsula, Gaysorn, WTC, Paragon?

While the profitability of the book store is questionable, Asia needed something big in the area to compete against Kinokuniya and Amarin needed something big to fill the space that Sogo vacated when it went under. It is doubly important to Amarin, since it is also right next door to one of their 5 star hotels (Hyatt).

Kinokuniya in Paragon has more than 200,000 titles. Cheaper than Asia Books as well...

Where's a good secondhand bookstore in Bangkok, though?

Hi MrSnrang,

Try Elite Bookstore, exit Phrom Phong skytrain and head towards Villa - Suk 33 if I am correct. Elite is a small shop on the righthand side just before you hit the Subway and Villa. Be careful as you can miss it!

They sell a wide range of magazines at dscounted prices but be prepared to rummage! The latest versions are displayed in the window. They sell lots of different language magazines and books.

Happy reading! :o

Edited by Andiamo

I prefer Kinnokunya bookstore

Me too, though I frequent Asia Books for some titles sometimes too when I can't find them at Kino. Incidentally, Kino just dropshipped a book to me in the last week through a private shipper. I live about an hour and a quarter outside of Bangkok and the service was just phenomenal. Saved me from having to take a bus or train to the capital from my nearby province. Total cost: 120 baht for book delivery, and 60 baht for two pages of fax: one showed the receipt of my bank deposit to Kino's account for the book and shipping, and the other page showed a map to my place.

Though I would like to very much check out this new place that the OPer talks about. It truly sounds like a paradise for avid readers and wannabe professionally published writers like myself. :o