Where Is Guangzhou?

Went to the Guangzhou Thai consulate today to get my wife a tourist visa. Besides myself (caucasion) and my wife (chinese) the only other people there were probably 20+ Africans.

Asked for double entry, they would not give it.

Flown that route on a number of occasions, yes flight had a lot of Africans on board each time. Seems as if they go to guangzhou as buyers and check out the trade exhibitions etc, hence their bulky luggage. Why they should fly back via BKK I cannot answer.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangzhou.htm Having lived in Guangzhou for a couple of years I can say that there are many Africans or African/American people who do legit business there at the Canton Trade Fair held twice a year.Unfortunately as many have also been involved in criminal activity the government stopped giving out business visas so liberally.

Few years back some Africans took a lot of Thais to the Canton Fair and made them invest money in non-existent factories in China with promises of being able to supply goods which of course was a scam.I've been aproached on many occassions also with offers of exchanging money which is fake.The Canton Fair attracts a lot of criminals not necessarily restricted to Africans or African Americans of course,crazy time of the year where if you are not careful you can get conned/ripped off/robbed.

GZ is 90 minutes by train to HK and an hour to Shenzen so it's easy to get out of China to HK or Macao if they are doing anything illegal.Was trying to find the link from a newspaper which is momentarily down.You will also see many Africans/African Americans on the train from HK to Guangzhou.If they are crims,Bangkok is the obvious pit stop as HK won't have them.

Edited by Momo8