Proton?

Has anybody here actually bought or driven a Proton. I have read the 2nd hand neg reviews in other threads, but I am interested in hearing first hand from an owner.

Ive been living in Malaysia for a few years and any Malaysian will tell you the same.

Stay away from Proton cars. The built quality is horrible. And theyre overpriced.

If you live in Malaysia, complaining about your Proton is as common as discussing the weather...

Even though its a Malaysian made car, they are acually cheaper in the middle east then in Asia.

Has anybody here actually bought or driven a Proton. I have read the 2nd hand neg reviews in other threads, but I am interested in hearing first hand from an owner.

Ive been living in Malaysia for a few years and any Malaysian will tell you the same.

Stay away from Proton cars. The built quality is horrible. And theyre overpriced.

If you live in Malaysia, complaining about your Proton is as common as discussing the weather...

Even though its a Malaysian made car, they are acually cheaper in the middle east then in Asia.

this seems to be all that I am hearing. Anybody have good reports? the Gen-2 looks fantastic, but if it has no guts, then not an option.

Guess I will stick to the Honda.

• 1 month later...

Hi There

Dont laugh, but I drove proton cars in 1990 and they were smooth and nice then. so i can only imagine that 18 years later they will be very good.

Proton usually buy technology from people like Mitsubishi, the old 1990 protons had a 1.3 or a 1.5 Mitsubishi 16v engine.

They usually use a chassis from a tried and tested car that is sold off when the original manufacturer is finished with it.

they then re style the body to make it look new.

Does anyone know where you can buy a new proton in thailand? i guess Bangkok, anyone know the web site?

For 100,000 less than the first opponent (Vios, City, etc) I can live with a little less quality. Have even the small 1, very nice looking, without opponent for less than 300,000.... :o

This will also get the excessive prices for used Solunas, City's and others straight down! Can have a new car for the price of a 5 year OLD Soluna. :D

• 2 months later...

PROTON versus the rest of the world...

When I read the comments about PROTON image, it sounds like every other pre judgement. I'm sure the most of the writers have never drove the Proton CAR but heard something from the friend or neighbor.

There is no car in the world which was free of issues and problems...starting from A like AUDI and T like TOYOTA or X5 (BMW), for sure. I drove all Proton cars, miss only the JUARA..which should not be in the product range at all.

The true is that Proton has a very difficult history, coming from a DREAM to have a national car and end up with compeating with a more negative image that was founded between 1995 and 2000.

Among the bulk of imported cars in Malaysia there are many with much worse quality and even the Brand guarantie selling name (TOYOTA) have serious quality issues, which don't border the majority of buyers, at least not loud. The 2. national car maker PERODUA sells cars like MyVY (also targeted for Thailand /Indonesia export) and use Toyota / Daihatsu platform and design with local interior and the selling is fantastic. But the quality is much worse as a Gen-2 or a SAVY but Malaysians like to complaining about Proton. Its modern?!

I have a PROTON Waja since 2000 and I bought a PERODUA MYVY for my wife. This buy was a result of pre-judgement too, as I lisn to a good friend and booked the car 5 month before SOP, start of prodcution. I searched in the Internet and finally decided to buy the car.

You guess what my wife would like to drive? She would exchange the MyVY better today as tomorrow....

As a fact, any new Proton car lounged during the last 5 Years would get a much better rating (from any Europe test organisation) as the MyVY (e.g), with serious issues and misses of standard functions. The driving stability is horrorable due to a absolut miserable seat and the rear door need a body builder to open, and suspension need to be change after 15000Km..... Better not talking about the safety of the CAR. I can write a book or a test report If anybody need such information. This benchmark can be extended to what ever you want...Hyundai, KIA, Toyota, Suzuki..Ho...

PROTON has improved with the new models PERSONA, SAGA, GEN-2 dramaticaly on quality, exterior design

and safety and the new prices specialy for a SAGA (31.000MYR) are extrem good. icon13.gif

For this money I don't expect a VW or BMW quality...do you?

Very sure there are misses on functions and design if you benchmark a Proton car, but this is a reflection of the money spending and finally the price you pay.

Not to forget...I'm a farang like Thais like to say and work since 8 Years in Malaysia Automotive Industry, the Waja is a company car...I can effort any BMW but not for tripple +++ of market priceicon8.gifbetter spend the money elsewhere and enjoy the beautiful nature in Malaysia or Thailand

Dont laugh, but I drove proton cars in 1990 and they were smooth and nice then. so i can only imagine that 18 years later they will be very good.

No laughs, but you're hopelessly wrong ! I've owned one & drove more than a few rentals. The only bearable model they had is now defunct Wira (copy of the old Lancer>>which surprisingly turned out to be better,than the original,except plastics)

It was all the way downhill ever since ! Just sat in a display ones in some Carrefour in Bkk... Jumped out very fast :D & ran back to my Vios :o . Might only concider having one again if offered free .. Even than ..rather not !

Reminds me of Lada cars i saw in Car Expo in Vienna ! 20 years of total stagnation !

I've had my Proton Gen2 for just over 1,000 miles now and i guess i'll weigh in with my experience.

I have had a couple of problem with the car, but the service center has been great.

- The hand brake line was too loose, which they fixed when doing the 1,000 mile service.

- There was a slight squeaking sound when driving over bumps at a certain speed. For this problem i felt sure i was going to get a "mai roo", or "mai die" type of response, as it was difficult to even consistently reproduce the sound. But to my surprise they managed to completely fix this!

- My wife managed to scuff the underside of the bumper against a high curb, but the service center even repainted the scuff for free.

In my experience the Post-Sale service i have received from Proton is better than even the Pre-sale attention i received at either Hondo or Toyota.

I was kind of expecting the amount of attention (returning phone calls, helpfulness etc..) to drop off after the purchase was made, but this hasn't happened.

So far i would highly recommend the car. Apparently this has been paying off as, while waiting for the service center, we were talking to the saleswomen who was saying there is currently like a 300 car waiting list at that branch alone

She also told us they now have a trade-in policy, so they will buy your car back in the future (not sure what prices they would give) should you want to buy a different car (or even just take the cash). Which is good to know that should i need to sell the car in future there is an easy option.

Hi

If you buy a new car there should not be any problems, so of course they have to smile when you come in after 1000 miles.

i have had a few new cars, but never had a problem after 1000 miles, btw not a single problem when i had them.

In my experience the Post-Sale service i have received from Proton is better than even the Pre-sale attention i received at either Hondo or Toyota.

that's correct. the busier they are(!the more cars they sell!) Less attention you get. In Honda i met 2 opposites. In Bangkok you'd have to beg them for your attention. But in Rayong i felt like a king, with test-drive & long list of what i could get, if i were to grace them with my custom .

She also told us they now have a trade-in policy, so they will buy your car back in the future (not sure what prices they would give) should you want to buy a different car (or even just take the cash).

EVERY dealership offers this "service" ! Like Toyota-they call somewhere & than offer you less,than the market price for your car> sure anyone can do better .

Btw. it's fun to check out the owners forums for different makes :o . Chinese brand Cherry>lots of posts>everything falls apart ! (not in the first 1000miles thou) . Toyota has the most boring forums i ever saw !! They write about wipers changes after 30-50,000 miles... Soo boring .

Agree with HDRider's post .. & just voicing my opinions, AS a Former Proton Owner !

& personal observation Gen2 is NOT cheap by all means>there's Vios,City & Aveo ..

they are shit. I have recently moved and am now living in KL - no one likes them!!

I have one as a company car - i am trying to change it but facing resistance from the local partners cos they are much cheaper than foreign cars. I have a Waja. Never buy one - only accept it if its not costing you anything

they are shit. I have recently moved and am now living in KL - no one likes them!!

I have one as a company car - i am trying to change it but facing resistance from the local partners cos they are much cheaper than foreign cars. I have a Waja. Never buy one - only accept it if its not costing you anything

u are right. its shit. so give it away and buy yourself something else.

• 2 weeks later...
For 100,000 less than the first opponent (Vios, City, etc) I can live with a little less quality. Have even the small 1, very nice looking, without opponent for less than 300,000.... :o

This will also get the excessive prices for used Solunas, City's and others straight down! Can have a new car for the price of a 5 year OLD Soluna. :D

In Malaysia, Proton car before 2006 have bad record of quality. And their sales is getting bad until they started to find oversea market, thats the reason they now go for Thailand. However they slighly improve since under new management.

Eventhough they are the first car manufacture in Malaysia, but now they are second best seller after the Perodua which only sold compact car below 1300cc. Yet now Proton car are relatively cheap compare to Perodua.

For export/oversea Proton car i guess there should be no worried since you have greater warranty, higher export quality and better after sales service. Unlike in homeland the after sales service is suck and it control by some government agency cronies.

@mki001, please keep your grandmother story. lolx

Proton is Mitsubishi Technollogy. They are much cheaper than japanese cars. But you get what you pay for. Engine, transmission is no problem. Plastic parts and suspension is a problem with every new car. Car aren't strong built anymore, like for example a Opel Kadett in 1969. Whit new cars, you can't hit potholes on bad roads. Even a Vios will falling a part if you do this.

What i like, Proton have a different design. They look different than the boring world of Cities and Vioses. The 3 door model (i forgot the name) cost 499'k and remembers me of a 3 door Alfa Selespeed (1.7 Million). But everyone have a different taste about design.

Edited by stingray

• 2 weeks later...

No, Proton engine is no longer from Mitsubishi. Most Proton car are using Campro beside Savvy which using Renault engine.

The Campro engine is own design and built by Proton with the help of Lotus. Some source said the engine design is bought from Renault.

Hi mki001, when they play on the global stage they have to take the good with the bad...thats comments I mean! Sometime in the next decade Proton are bound to get some good ones!

"Did you know Proton are going out of the car business" Answer "That is good news"

Err....Sorry, I can't think of any more!

No, Proton engine is no longer from Mitsubishi. Most Proton car are using Campro beside Savvy which using Renault engine.

The Campro engine is own design and built by Proton with the help of Lotus. Some source said the engine design is bought from Renault.

I tought Campro means something about the Camshaft, maybe progressive Camshaft, i'm not sure. But yesterday i saw this 3 door Proton, it called Neo and the engine looks exactly like the one in Hyundai Elantra, which are Mitsu engines. I testdrove the car. It runs as good as a vios. What i don't like is the dashboard. Plasticmaterial is to hard, looks like the same material as the ones from Renault and Peugeot in the early nineties or some GM cars, which means they will crack after a couple years of Thailand heats.

But the manual Neo cost 499'k, the automatic version cost 536'k, (110 hp) and there is a Top Model with a 125 horespower engine whick cosr arround 580'k. Because i want a 2 door car i consider to buy the medium version. Toyota and Honda don't offer only Family cars they don't have any 2 door sporty cars, this is the problem.

Edited by stingray

I was kind of expecting the amount of attention (returning phone calls, helpfulness etc..) to drop off after the purchase was made, but this hasn't happened.

A coworker bought a Proton a few weeks back. He had some rattles and phoned the delearship. They came to our office to pick-up the car and drop it off before 5PM. Class A service imho. I just bought a Honda Accord 2008 for 1.8M and Honda gives me the worst pre/after-sales service I've ever had. I'll be going to fix the same problem for the 3rd time now (severe rattle noises, loose driver door, sunblind malfunctions, etc).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

post-51508-1234618335_thumb.jpg Yes, I bought a 'Proton Gen2, 1.6 CPS' about a month ago. I first went to Honda in North Pattaya to look at a new City priced at 698,00THB, apart from finding it quiet small and difficult to get in, the sales staff seemed totally uninterested and when at 5.15pm I said how long is delivery the boss said we close at 5.00pm, I asked if he wanted to sell me a car, he said of course, but I wasn't convinced.

The following day I went to the new Proton dealership they had a table and chairs and 4 demo cars on the pavement because the showroom was still under construction, they offered me a test drive and encouraged me to put my foot down and hear the roar of the 125bhp engine, it went well, they then took me down a dirt road and asked me to take my hands off the wheel and accelerate to see how well the 'Lotus' designed suspension handles the bumps and keeps the car in a straight line.

I was impressed with the Gen 2 CPS, 125bhp 5 doors, full leather upholstery, cruise control Blaupunkt DVD system, rear sensors for easy parking and all for 649,000THB so in my mind I got a better and bigger car leather interior faster and 49,000THB less than the top of the range Honda City. Granted resalel values are unknown, but I buy cars that are fun to drive, I don't by cars as investments, if I did I'd by a 1979 Golf GTi.

• Like 1

I've owned at least 2 proton cars. My Wira 1.6 AeroBack served me very well for about 6 years. The car was bought in 1996 and came with many minor quality issues. Proton had a "monopoly" then as far as market share was concerned in Malaysia mostly because of ridiculous taxation policies of foreign cars. So we had to make do with whatever shit quality that came with it.

they undoubtly lost the market share to number 2 car maker Perodua and are strugging to stay afloat with losses. Taking more interest in quality control has had Proton come up with better cars over the last few years. They are very nicely designed and sporty now put together with Lotus handling. Nice drives they are and perhaps a little bit more could be done with their CAMPRO engines. Which has by the way improved a lot since they built them.

But considering the price offered, i think they are good buys. Put together with good customer service that has been mentioned by a few members of TV, why not have a look at them? The NEO does make quite a few heads turn. Savvy is selling quite a bit here in Chiang Mai when compared to the other models. The CNG fitted Persona is also nice for those who think petrol prices are too volatile to handle. I personally have a CNG fitted Honda Civic which has the worst customer service one can expect. Very nice looking birds selling them to start off with but rude and ignorant customer service personnel to keep the car going. Got 1 year plus for my repayment and would not hesitate to have a look at Proton again for my second car.

TB..

CORRECTION

PRICE was 629,000THB not 649,000THB, a saving of 69,000 on the Honda City

post-51508-1234618335_thumb.jpg Yes, I bought a 'Proton Gen2, 1.6 CPS' about a month ago. I first went to Honda in North Pattaya to look at a new City priced at 698,00THB, apart from finding it quiet small and difficult to get in, the sales staff seemed totally uninterested and when at 5.15pm I said how long is delivery the boss said we close at 5.00pm, I asked if he wanted to sell me a car, he said of course, but I wasn't convinced.

The following day I went to the new Proton dealership they had a table and chairs and 4 demo cars on the pavement because the showroom was still under construction, they offered me a test drive and encouraged me to put my foot down and hear the roar of the 125bhp engine, it went well, they then took me down a dirt road and asked me to take my hands off the wheel and accelerate to see how well the 'Lotus' designed suspension handles the bumps and keeps the car in a straight line.

I was impressed with the Gen 2 CPS, 125bhp 5 doors, full leather upholstery, cruise control Blaupunkt DVD system, rear sensors for easy parking and all for 649,000THB so in my mind I got a better and bigger car leather interior faster and 49,000THB less than the top of the range Honda City. Granted resalel values are unknown, but I buy cars that are fun to drive, I don't by cars as investments, if I did I'd by a 1979 Golf GTi.

• 1 year later...

I like the look of Gen2 also, did you buy in pattaya or BKK? WHat is the name of the dealer pls?

CORRECTION

PRICE was 629,000THB not 649,000THB, a saving of 69,000 on the Honda City

QUOTE (silvermover @ 2009-02-14 21:36:17) post-51508-1234618335_thumb.jpg Yes, I bought a 'Proton Gen2, 1.6 CPS' about a month ago. I first went to Honda in North Pattaya to look at a new City priced at 698,00THB, apart from finding it quiet small and difficult to get in, the sales staff seemed totally uninterested and when at 5.15pm I said how long is delivery the boss said we close at 5.00pm, I asked if he wanted to sell me a car, he said of course, but I wasn't convinced.