Crossing 2nd Road

misterman21

I guess this subject has been raised before - but no harm in bringing it up again. I have seen/witnessed numerous serious accidents and a few fatalitys on 2nd road in Pattaya due to there being no safe place to cross. Considering pattaya survives from tourism why on earth cant the local government sort out some safe crossing areas!

Yes agreed, crossing second road is extremely dangerous.

There are a number of what we refer to in the UK as Zebra Crossings, but nobody stops except for the <deleted> baht busses witch just makes crossing the road more dangerous, it like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.

BB

It is very annoying and without justification that the local government doesn't have the sense to introduce some pedestrian friendly infrastructure. How difficult would it be to build some bridges or pedestrian subways? I think the idea of people wanting to walk from A to B is beyond their comprehension.

Just don't ask for pedestrian crossings. The few that are there at the moment (like the one on the Klang/3rd Road intersection) permanently show the red man and that crossing is a complete death trap for pedestrians. I had to watch and laugh as a group of Korean tourists stood there looking at the red man, expecting the green man to appear. They must have been there for 15 minutes before they realised the red man was permanent.

The locals are convinced you need a motocy to go any place so someone on foot is an aberration.

What if they did put in a safe way to cross the road? Next the bloody tourists will be asking for footpaths that you can use without tripping over some tailor cracked pavement or other vendor, and we know how unlikely that will be, right up there with meter taxis that use meter and baht buses that have easy to read routes marked on them. :o

The safest way to get to the other side of Second Road is to be born there.

:o:D:D

Actually; the early morning hours are good to cross that road. So if you get stuck in the afternoon just have a night out, then stagger to the other side in the morning. :D

A speed barrier in front of the zebra crossings would solve some problems.

Traffic lights on zebra crossing would be nice, but would the red lights be respected when the motorist dont have the danger of a crossing truck?

The best solution would be an overpass, but these have the very real potential of beeing dangerous when there is little people around town.

A third option would be to have some guard/police stop the traffic at regular intervals during heavy traffic hours, and with low wages in thailand who knows if it would be more expensive then traffic lights...

The only way pedestrian crossings would work on second road is if they were equipped with railway crossing style gates or those barriers you see at embassies that rise up out of the road. A cheaper version is scaffold planks with 6" nails pointing upwards but they would only slow the traffic down.

Overbridges would at least provide an alternative to Russian roulette but I think underpasses would require SCUBA gear particularly in the rainy season.

Personally I'd rather cross any busy street in Ha Noi blindfold than second road even in day light but some will argue that it is all part of the Amazing Thailand experience.

If you grin like an idiot and wave madly at oncoming traffic you will get them to slow down or swerve to avoid a direct hit whilst crossing at the 'Zebra' crossing on Second Road opposite Soi 5.

Forget that 'Zebra' crossing near Mikes Mall; they actually speed up and swerve towards you if you attempt to use that one.

This was my experience -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;hl=Gymnastics

I still have a chunk out of my lower leg, itches at times, but no real problem.

As was suggested in that thread and several others, persuade some of the major businesses along that road - RGP, Villa/Avenue Mall, Big C - to put up overpasses outside their premises. This will bring in business to the sponsor and be of benefit to the general population.

Maybe if the right people get into City Hall at the next elections, this could happen.

At no cost to the Municipality.

Look at Central, BangNa. It is almost impossible to use that footbridge as there are so many people on it. Maybe five hundred at any one time, taking two minutes to cross, so 7,500 going either way every hour. At least half go on into Central, so a colossal catchment.

Actually; the early morning hours are good to cross that road. So if you get stuck in the afternoon just have a night out, then stagger to the other side in the morning. :D

Sound advice Sir, well done, obviously a lot of time and effort been put into this solution :D:D

Sound advice Sir, well done, obviously a lot of time and effort been put into this solution :D:D

They are both humourous responses, and as such are welcome relief from a lot of the whingers on TV.

:D:D:D

Actually; the early morning hours are good to cross that road. So if you get stuck in the afternoon just have a night out, then stagger to the other side in the morning. :burp:

Sound advice Sir, well done, obviously a lot of time and effort been put into this solution B):D

They are both humourous responses, and as such are welcome relief from a lot of the whingers on TV.

I have to agree HB, my attempt to continue with the humour with a facetious reply failed miserably! :D

More thought went into these replies than city hall has ever bothered to give to this problem :D

I get a kick out of a lot of the winging on this board, a lot is split between those who damm people for not obeying, respecting Thai law to those (like me) who wonder when there will ever be any enforcement of thai law and order :D

Cheers :o

Thanks for your non-contribution Humprey - whingers make valid points, appologists - well!

I guess this subject has been raised before - but no harm in bringing it up again. I have seen/witnessed numerous serious accidents and a few fatalitys on 2nd road in Pattaya due to there being no safe place to cross. Considering pattaya survives from tourism why on earth cant the local government sort out some safe crossing areas!

I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, even cynically, the powers that be know full well there will be lots more tourists to take the place of those squashed on the roads. They just don't care. They may make a show of doing some little thing for the sake of the press if any negative news happens to spill over and potetially slow tourist dollars.

I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, even cynically, the powers that be know full well there will be lots more tourists to take the place of those squashed on the roads. They just don't care. They may make a show of doing some little thing for the sake of the press if any negative news happens to spill over and potetially slow tourist dollars.

There was a quote from one of the local hospitals a few years back, after another New Year with record breaking casualties on the roads, they stated they had had a very good season! So, a few tourists get mangled, they put more money into the economy via the hospitals! :o

Edited by CGW

There was a quote from one of the local hospitals a few years back, after another New Year with record breaking casualties on the roads, they stated they had had a very good season! So, a few tourists get mangled, they put more money into the economy via the hospitals! :o

The obvious answer we have all missed - 2nd road is an asset to the local economy!

Crossing #2 Road is an exercise in Darwinian Theory (i.e. survival of the fitest).

Some people like dodging through the traffic, close enough to the passing vehicles that you have to curl your toes in your sandals to avoid getting them squished.

Some people will hire a baht bus that promptly cuts directly across the road to (safely) deposit you on the other side. More daring types will do the same, but use a moto-taxi instead.

Some of us just hop on our motos and zip, wiggle, squeeze and zoom across to the other side.

And some just never seem to get the fact that this isn't home, with squads of traffic cops waiting to pounce on anyone that commits the slightest traffic infraction, and where pedestrians can blithely stroll onto zebra crossings without wait or warning, causing serious problems for motorists that have to stop a 6,000 pound car travelling at 30 kms/hr in 20 feet or less. :o

I'm actually surprised that the local BiB doesn't do more traffic enforcement. The amount of money they could be raking in for tickets would have them all driving new Mercedes in no time (assuming they could ever get the violators to pay the fines).

Pedestrians just aren't seen, noticed or cared about. Thailand will always be crap until this attitude changes. It symbolises and epitomises selfishness.

BTW, farang drivers are just as dangerous and thoughtless as Thai drivers, if not more so.

BTW, farang drivers are just as dangerous and thoughtless as Thai drivers, if not more so.

I stopped stopping for pedestrians long ago! What happens is as you slow down everyone else, cars motorbikes, baht busses, coaches etc overtake on either side just to be sure they zap the trusting pedestrian :o

It really depends on where along second road you wish to cross, why and what state your in!

"Arab" corner as I call it perhaps dandering along in a slight state of pissedness going from the south side of second road to the beach side on your way perhaps to Walking Street and or secrets ....a quick dash before the taxi rank may assist.

However if you wish to cross to Rippleys believe it or not and you are in a slightly worsened state of pishdness then beware of the baht busees that pull in there quickly as you cross.

Ofcourse moving along to shall I say soi 6 or that general part of Second Road you may be already so excited that you make a mad dash to cross the road that you get to your desired location that you are run over and expeience the worst anti-climax of your life. You may be all cum over with emulsion!

By keep on going you may be extremely pishd and end up swimming in the Dolphin Roundabout :o:D:D:D

Such are the hazards when crossing Second Road ...but they are only my observations!

I stopped stopping for pedestrians long ago! What happens is as you slow down everyone else, cars motorbikes, baht busses, coaches etc overtake on either side just to be sure they zap the trusting pedestrian :D

It's true that traffic needs to move as one. My point mainly concerns the quieter sois, where mopeds become legs and pedestrians become targets. I would quite like to implant a taser into the head of the next [political correctness prevents me from inserting nationality - *sigh*] person who drives straight into me, forcing me further into the gutter.

"oh, you want to park where I'm standing, do you? That's ok, there's a muddy ditch I can cram into to enable you to push your way into where I'm standing. No problem, pal, you go for it. Oh, you were anyway". :o

I once new a guy who started off at the beach - crossed beach road, then second road, then soi bucket (cant spell soi baukaw), then 3rd road - but unfortunatley pushed his luck in trying to cross the suhkumvit and was squashed by a motorcycle carrying 5 thais and a sack or rice.

Does anyone know of this being attempted or successfuly completed in the past!

Then there's the joy of crossing 2nd road holding your girls hand. Ok we go now, have to pull her back, you must be joking. We could have crossed she says no we couldn't yes we could etc etc. After about 30 seconds arguing who was right or wrong have another go at crossing.

It can be tricky too cross but also if some tourists crossed the roads with care and in safer places some accidents could also be avoided. :o

DT - when I got hit I was crossing outside Lo Yen (RGP) where there is a lot of white paint splashed across the road in a series of stripes - you know, like zebra crossings in UK. But I don't think of it as a zebra crossing - not quite that daft.

But Second Road is wide, straight and single direction (except for moto-taxis). So traffic moves FAST. When I crossed, or almost crossed, there was a good distance between me and the oncoming traffic. I also could judge the speed of the baht busses but did not see the motorbike that was speeding along behind them. He pulled out to overtake and found me a couple of yards from the parked cars on the other side of the road.

There is no real safe place - at the traffic lights at the Second Road / Pattaya Tai junction there are always baht busses creeping round from Beach Road - the next lights are at Pattaya Klang.

I do really believe that it would bring customers to shops if they had overpasses outside their premises. Let's see what the new mayor, whover wins, will do.

I once new a guy who started off at the beach - crossed beach road, then second road, then soi bucket (cant spell soi baukaw), then 3rd road - but unfortunatley pushed his luck in trying to cross the suhkumvit and was squashed by a motorcycle carrying 5 thais and a sack or rice.

Does anyone know of this being attempted or successfuly completed in the past!

Yes, it has been successfully accomplished several times. The current record is three days, seven hours and fourteen minutes. Mr Adrian Boot, the holder of that record, died of a heart attack shortly after setting this exemplary record.

• 7 months later...

Must admit crossing 2nd Road can be a death trap and I have crossed the road many times. The answer to crossing is to be patient. Take your time and there will always be a gap in the traffic giving enough comfortable time to cross. But most pedestrians are in the same hurry that the cars, bikes and trucks etc are in hence the main problem.