"you Can Stay In Thailand For $3 A Night"

DerekP

Just a warning the snakes here are real big :o

And some of them are real poisonous and, if you are in the sticks, healthcare is not on your doorstep.

Have you factored in health insurance? In some respects the snakes are the least of your worries when it comes to nasty critters.

Derek P two places you might like in Laos. Don Det in very south of the country it is a small island threeyears ago you could get a hut with great views of mekcong river for one buck very basic but great not much to do there but chill out . Mung Sing in the north near china border two bucks a night but the area is great for treking to hill tribes and you can do this own your own or with other backpackers much more better than Thailand :o

Theres a place on Sukhumvit soi 25 called Sams Lodge very clean with tv, fridge your own bathroom and air con if you buy a hostel card it's 800 baht a night why not e mail them and ask for a monthly rate, nice area 5 minutes from the Asok BTS www.samslodge.com and they do breakfast included.

Believe me you don't want to rent some cockroach infested room to save a couple of hundred baht and have to carry all your gear around with you in case it gets stolen while your out.

Hey Highlander -

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll check out Thailand for 3 months, and then since I'm going to have to border run anyway, I'll hop over to Laos and spend some time there before I hop back.

I'm actually half Thai, and I want to learn to speak Thai as well as enjoy Thailand. (As well as learn Salsa and get my scuba diving certificate.) But now that you've mentioned it, I'll definitely check out Laos as well =)

Cheers,

- Derek

Scuba diving certificate ?

Assuming you mean your open water Padi course the cost of getting this certification would be a minimum of 10,000 baht. In terms of what you want to spend on accommodation that works out the equivalent of 100 nights accommodation, or just over 14 weeks ! :o

I wonder if there are any people who have recently visited Thailand who can boast this kind of spending on diving. Thats like 100 times the equivalent of one night accommodation on diving.

I imagine even the die hard diving enthusiasts out there would struggle to beat that !! :D

Hey Highlander -

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll check out Thailand for 3 months, and then since I'm going to have to border run anyway, I'll hop over to Laos and spend some time there before I hop back.

I'm actually half Thai, and I want to learn to speak Thai as well as enjoy Thailand. (As well as learn Salsa and get my scuba diving certificate.) But now that you've mentioned it, I'll definitely check out Laos as well =)

Cheers,

- Derek

Scuba diving certificate ?

Assuming you mean your open water Padi course the cost of getting this certification would be a minimum of 10,000 baht. In terms of what you want to spend on accommodation that works out the equivalent of 100 nights accommodation, or just over 14 weeks ! :o

I wonder if there are any people who have recently visited Thailand who can boast this kind of spending on diving. Thats like 100 times the equivalent of one night accommodation on diving.

I imagine even the die hard diving enthusiasts out there would struggle to beat that !! :D

I hope this thread never ends

In an Isaan Village near Khon Kaen I rented a room for 800 Baht a month while I was waiting for my house to be built. Admittedly I had to buy a bed and have a Farang toilet fitted but that is $25 a month.

That's quite neat and suits the OP well I think. Was it including electricity and running water ?

Does it have a swimming pool in the back yard ?

LaoPo :o

Electric 200 Baht a month and running water every time it rained.

I actually quite enjoyed it. Maybe because I knew it was only for 3 months. Food in the local market really cheap. 3 big bottles of Chang beer 100 Baht from the local shop.

I also rented the room next door to put the motorbike in.

What nonsense is this?! Surely you know the correct way to store a bike is to disassemble it into various oily lumps and keep it on bits of newspaper under the dining room table / another suitably large piece of furniture ... works best with old Meriden Triumphs as a rule ... you should refer to it as a 'project' if in doubt

... any lady who leaves you for something like this wasn't good enough for you anyway - about 7 in my case :D

Oh - and any 'offensive & unnecessary' responses will be met with a hissy fit - I've got feelings you know ...

CC

While in BKK I recommend Buri Bed & Breakfast. 400 baht a night & shared bathroom. A/C and TV. Two single beds per room. No view. Quiet. 3-minute walk from BTS (Skytrain) at Than Lor station. If you want more info. (phone, URL, email), PM me. Good luck!

OP dont get discouraged by all the negatives you will encounter on here. This forum is aimed and populated by older people who really havent done that kind of travelling for a long time; if ever, and it scares them to think that someone can do it like that and still have a good time. As some people get older they tend to cover their own insecurities by becoming rapant consumers and inflating their own self importance by the purchasing of "comfort goods".

I am now in my mid 40's and am relatively well off and successful in the business world so whilst your style of travelling is still appealing it is just not viable to me at present but I do remember vividly riding a motorbike through Africa for 2 years on a grand total of $ 2 USD a day when I was about your age. People thought we were crazy, and we were, but God we had the time of our lives.

Lonely PLanet will probably get you a lot more answers but there are a few of us on here who will give you a sound pat on the back and tell you to get out and do it and hopefully give you some tips along the way. Good luck to your and dont ever stop thinking outside the box.

So would 350 baht/$10 a night be reasonable for Bangkok? Anywhere with a bed would do.

Yes, it can be done. Ignore the negative posts, they have no sense of adventure on a shoe string budget! You can eat for 20 baht per meal at street stalls and rent somewhere basic for 200 baht/night. Make sure you padlock your bags if you leave them in your room though and never leave valuables as the mega cheap places seem to invite the staff into your room while you're out! Just use common sense really. If you are going to be in the one place for at least a month you can always negotiate a cheaper monthly amount.

If you want to do a diving course, I stayed on Koh Tao for a long time paying 3000 baht/month and ate a lot of fried rice and cheap noodles (Rocky Resort - google it). Some people can't understand it but when you don't have a lot of cash, staying in a gorgeous country on a very tight budget is still way better then being in your own country doing the same old boring things. It's called living!

Also check out couchsurfing.com. Lets you stay at people's places around the world for free (you pay the favour back when you have a place). Brilliant way to travel and great to meet people.

Good luck in your adventures!

So would 350 baht/$10 a night be reasonable for Bangkok? Anywhere with a bed would do.

. Make sure you padlock your bags if you leave them in your room though and never leave valuables as the mega cheap places seem to invite the staff into your room while you're out! Just use common sense really.

Op wants to spend $3 a night. Valuables? He will need to sleep on the street for 10 nights to buy a fake Rolex

Edited by zorro1